Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Okay, so...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Okay, so...

by Jenise » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:14 pm

...who likes poi?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Okay, so...

by Dave R » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:15 pm

Jenise wrote:...who likes poi?

Not me, but I'm not into juggling or any other circus acts.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:19 pm

Jenise - funny you should ask. Just yesterday, Liz and I began, in earnest, planning a trip to Hawaii and the topic of poi came up. I remember having it in grade school and didn't like it. Maybe I’ll try the real thing on vacation and see it in a different light. There's a lot of stuff I didn't like when I was 10 that I love now.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:35 pm

If the rice crisis gets much worse, you might find a whole new generation of poi "lovers" emerging in Oceania and SE Asia. :cry:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:18 pm

Jenise wrote:...who likes poi?

Time to get my glasses checked. At first glace, I misread the last word in your question.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:33 pm

Jon Peterson wrote: Maybe I’ll try the real thing on vacation and see it in a different light. There's a lot of stuff I didn't like when I was 10 that I love now.

I'm sure most of us can attest to the latter. And we probably share a lot of the same culprits, like blue cheese. But I wouldn't bet on you liking poi now--I tasted it for the first time last week and can't imagine how one would acquire a taste for it--I found it fairly tasteless in fact, and would guess the attraction is the glue-y texture (if you're used to it--I'd NEVER get used to it).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:45 pm

Trust me, poi STILL looks and tastes like bland wallpaper paste. :|
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:11 pm

Most definitely not me.
The stuff's disgusting - wallpaper paste is a perfect description.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:35 pm

Poi must be a food you grow up with because I found it disgusting......wallpaper paste it is....maybe even leftover wallpaper paste!
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:09 pm

Jenise wrote:
Jon Peterson wrote: Maybe I’ll try the real thing on vacation and see it in a different light. There's a lot of stuff I didn't like when I was 10 that I love now.

I'm sure most of us can attest to the latter. And we probably share a lot of the same culprits, like blue cheese. But I wouldn't bet on you liking poi now--I tasted it for the first time last week and can't imagine how one would acquire a taste for it--I found it fairly tasteless in fact, and would guess the attraction is the glue-y texture (if you're used to it--I'd NEVER get used to it).

My reaction to the first and last time I tasted poi. Why would anyone bother? :roll: :cry:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:19 pm

I just looked up a Taro plant (Poi) and come to find out we have one in our yard... last year we had a record number of leaves -14! It dies back in our winters, but pops up again in the spring. Right now it has six leaves so I suspect we will have more than 14 leaves. It is a fun plant to watch and how it survives our hot summers is the question. It is under a Camphor Tree and is watered every day.....that helps.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:39 pm

Poi did have it's time and place - for hundreds of years, it served as the primary source of starch in the diet of Hawaiians, and possibly other Polynesian cultures too. It still tastes like crap, though.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:07 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:I just looked up a Taro plant (Poi) and come to find out we have one in our yard... last year we had a record number of leaves -14! It dies back in our winters, but pops up again in the spring. Right now it has six leaves so I suspect we will have more than 14 leaves. It is a fun plant to watch and how it survives our hot summers is the question. It is under a Camphor Tree and is watered every day.....that helps.

Much better to look at it than to make poi out of it.

I used to have a housemate who was from Hawaii. She made it for us one time. I couldn't believe anyone ever ate it twice.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:36 am

I wore a taro leaf on my shoulder for a year in Vietnam. The 25th Infantry Division was stationed in Hawaii when not at a war.

There were many Hawaiians in the division. I never met one that liked poi.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:54 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:Poi did have it's time and place - for hundreds of years, it served as the primary source of starch in the diet of Hawaiians, and possibly other Polynesian cultures too. It still tastes like crap, though.

You know, Mr. 1K, you just can't argue with that logic.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:00 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I just looked up a Taro plant (Poi) and come to find out we have one in our yard... last year we had a record number of leaves -14! It dies back in our winters, but pops up again in the spring. Right now it has six leaves so I suspect we will have more than 14 leaves. It is a fun plant to watch and how it survives our hot summers is the question. It is under a Camphor Tree and is watered every day.....that helps.

Cooked, the leaves are delicious. I loved the Hawaiian laulau--pork and a few other things wrapped and steamed in taro leaves, or with taro leaves inside a banana leaf. I had it both ways. They're like really serious spinach.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:02 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:There were many Hawaiians in the division. I never met one that liked poi.

My Hawaiian friend likes it. Or at least, she likes it when she can put lomi (marinated salmon and tomatoes) on top of it. I found it quite acceptable with sweet, pickled seaweed, but I liked the seaweed better by itself which, if I could get Annabelle to admit it, was probably how she feels about lomi.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:22 pm

Hell, you can make anything taste good if you pile lomi lomi on top of it.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT