Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Recipe Report: Jenise's "Best Meat Loaf Ever"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Recipe Report: Jenise's "Best Meat Loaf Ever"

by Howie Hart » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:25 am

I made this last night and it was superb! Actually, I made a triple batch, packed one loaf pan for my son and his family, one loaf pan for myself and the rest I made into meatballs and froze until my next spaghetti dinner. Thanks for this one Jenise!

Jenise wrote:This was adapted from a recipe by Mario Batali's father Armandino, himself a restaurateur in Seattle. This version reduces the quantity and the fat and makes some minor changes that with all due respect, made a great thing even better.

1-1.25 lb extra lean ground beef
3 sweet Italian sausage, casings removed, crumbled
1 cup grated skim milk mozzarella (kind of packed, don't be afraid of putting in too much)
3 Tblsp dried basil (generous)
1 Tblsp dried oregano (generous)
1 medium onion, finely diced and sweated in 1 tblsp butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1.5 cups fresh breadcrumbs
3/4 c. finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1 c. V-8, divided
2 eggs
1/2 c. dry white wine

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Gently combine all but the last three ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Separately, mix half the V-8 with the eggs and wine, then fold into the meat mixture. Form a loaf, then rub the remaining V-8 over the loaf. Sprinkle a little extra salt, pepper and oregano over the top to give the crust added flavor.

Pop into your hot oven and bake for one hour. Turn oven off and open door slightly to let the loaf rest before slicing, about 15 minutes.

If you're used to meat loaf having a gravy and are concerned that this one will be dry without same, worry not. This meatloaf is so moist it oozes, and a sauce would be gratuitous. Try serving over a puddle of soft, steamed zucchini.

Oh, and it's fantastic cold.

Serves six.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Recipe Report: Jenise's "Best Meat Loaf Ever"

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:58 am

Mmm...

I would love that to the end of time.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:49 pm

Although I can't say I use that recipe for every meat loaf I make, I can say that Italian sausage goes into every meat loaf I make because of that recipe. That was the first time I'd heard of doing that, and I can't imagine not using the sausage now.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:17 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Although I can't say I use that recipe for every meat loaf I make, I can say that Italian sausage goes into every meat loaf I make because of that recipe. That was the first time I'd heard of doing that, and I can't imagine not using the sausage now.

Mike, I made the recipe once and the herbs were too over the top for us, but like you I do like the Italian sausage in meatloaf. Heck with italian sausage what is not to like. When I get my lamb, I will make a meatloaf using ground lamb, ground pork, and ground beef and throw in a little sausage too. YUM! I can almost taste it already.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:16 pm

Next trip to the store, I'm picking up the ingredients for this, with a twist - I'll make it with ground bison instead of beef, for an even lower fat/cholesterol version. We can get good fresh bison here in Oklahoma, and it really can't be beat for taste and health.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:35 pm

We've tried Jenise' "Best meatloaf ever" recipe as well. Love it!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:15 pm

Howie, thanks for the post. (curtsy)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:25 pm

It really is the best meatloaf. It's on the menu for this weekend, and I'll have plenty of leftovers to take to my crew next week!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:11 am

Wow! These are some great testimonials, Jenise. Thought I had a decent recipe for meat loaf. But, apparently this is something I've missed. On my menu plans for Sunday Dinner. Thx for the post, Howie. :)
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:58 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Wow! These are some great testimonials, Jenise. Thought I had a decent recipe for meat loaf. But, apparently this is something I've missed. On my menu plans for Sunday Dinner. Thx for the post, Howie. :)

Well, obviously the credit really goes to Armandino--I think the best thing I did for it was give it an irresistable title. And it really IS an incredible meatloaf. Everybody I serve it to swoons. I love it with long-cooked broccoli.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:20 pm

Very savory, and moist meatloaf Jenise. All the ingredients just seem to melt together. You are so right about it being excellent cold. This recipe must make wonderful meatballs!
Years ago I made a meatloaf that was equally fantastic, but with much different ingredients. I believe it was out of the American Heart Association Cookbook. All I can remember is that it had oatmeal in it and we loved it. I cannot find the recipe anywhere and have long since given the cookbook to charity.

By the way, do you make meatloaf sandwiches? I love them with mustard and lettuce!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:47 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:...By the way, do you make meatloaf sandwiches? I love them with mustard and lettuce!
Either lettuce, tomatoe and mayo or just ketchup are fine for me, on Italian bread, of course.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:56 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Very savory, and moist meatloaf Jenise. All the ingredients just seem to melt together. You are so right about it being excellent cold. This recipe must make wonderful meatballs!
Years ago I made a meatloaf that was equally fantastic, but with much different ingredients. I believe it was out of the American Heart Association Cookbook. All I can remember is that it had oatmeal in it and we loved it. I cannot find the recipe anywhere and have long since given the cookbook to charity.

By the way, do you make meatloaf sandwiches? I love them with mustard and lettuce!

Yes, LOVE meatloaf sandwiches! And Bob probably loves them even more. I probably only make him lunches one day a week. But when there's cold meatloaf around, it's a must-have. And not just because it's good but because he's such a sentimental and appreciative man that all the things that were good togetherness things about the meal he had the night before resonates when he eats that sandwich and more often than not, I'll get this really goofy, mushy midday phone call.

Meatloaf--once upon a time, there was a recipe in Bon Appetit magazine for lamb meat loaf with lots of herbs, red wine and Quaker oats. It was heavenly. I've made several attempts to recreate it since and I haven't managed yet to duplicate exactly the flavor I remember. I can't even remember if one used the quick oats or not, except that I remember the recipe was very firm about using one and not the other. Would presume that would NOT be the quick oats, and my sporadic attempts at recreation haven't proved it to me one way or the other. Since I use oats for almost nothing else, i've tended to avoid investing in both at once which would be the way to solve the question once and for all. Which did you use in the meatloaf you're describing, do you remember?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:38 pm

Nope, the only thing I remember is the beef, oatmeal and I think it had canned tomatoes. I don't keep Quaker Oats around much anymore either, preferring McCann's when I get the urge for it.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:44 am

It was fabulous, Jenise. I especially loved the texture. I made it with a combination of beef and turkey with the sausage. Great nose hit when I added the sundried tomatoes. Delicious with the herbs. Mine is a little more southwestern in flavor -- and I like that one too. The family decided that we will trade off periodically. Everybody likes something different about each one. But, this is definitely a keeper! Thx.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:09 pm

I started to make it for supper last night, but made enough substitutions I can't really call it the same meatloaf anymore. I used a pound of ground bison, omitted the sausages entirely (saving about 22 grams fat per sausage!) :shock: , used Eggbeaters instead of the two eggs (more fat savings), reconstituted and chopped about 1/4 oz chanterelle mushrooms along with the sun-dried tomatoes, and added a tablespoon of mixed herbs along with the oregano. It turned out very tasty, made 4 servings at 7 points per on the WeightWatcher scale. :)
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:21 pm

Jenise wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:Very savory, and moist meatloaf Jenise. All the ingredients just seem to melt together. You are so right about it being excellent cold. This recipe must make wonderful meatballs!

Yes, LOVE meatloaf sandwiches! And Bob probably loves them even more. I probably only make him lunches one day a week. But when there's cold meatloaf around, it's a must-have. And not just because it's good but because he's such a sentimental and appreciative man that all the things that were good togetherness things about the meal he had the night before resonates when he eats that sandwich and more often than not, I'll get this really goofy, mushy midday phone call.

Meatloaf--once upon a time, there was a recipe in Bon Appetit magazine for lamb meat loaf with lots of herbs, red wine and Quaker oats. It was heavenly. I've made several attempts to recreate it since and I haven't managed yet to duplicate exactly the flavor I remember. I can't even remember if one used the quick oats or not, except that I remember the recipe was very firm about using one and not the other. Would presume that would NOT be the quick oats, and my sporadic attempts at recreation haven't proved it to me one way or the other. Since I use oats for almost nothing else, i've tended to avoid investing in both at once which would be the way to solve the question once and for all. Which did you use in the meatloaf you're describing, do you remember?

I always use oatmeal for meatloaf thickener. And you would use the quick stuff because the regular oatmeal, such as McCann's, wouldn't have long enough to cook.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:32 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:It was fabulous, Jenise. I especially loved the texture. I made it with a combination of beef and turkey with the sausage. Great nose hit when I added the sundried tomatoes. Delicious with the herbs. Mine is a little more southwestern in flavor -- and I like that one too. The family decided that we will trade off periodically. Everybody likes something different about each one. But, this is definitely a keeper! Thx.

Glad it worked out! Thanks for reporting back. You know what, I almost always cut beef with ground turkey for meatloaf too. Forget the cholesterol angle, turkey just has a finer texture. In fact, a friend of mine opened a tapas restaurant and had a veal-and-pork albondigas on the menu. The meatballs were tough and coarse (even more than what you'd expect to get from the veal and pork combo, so more might have been wrong here), and they weren't getting reordered. I advised him to lose the veal, double grind the pork and bring in turkey for a significantly more refined texture. And a bonus was exchanging the veal stigma for the healthier-sounding turkey. He made the change, and it became one of his most popular dishes.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:48 pm

Damn, I was all set to make some meatloaf until the mention of the meatballs there.

I'd already pulled ground pork,ground beef and ground buffalo from the freezer. All I got is the buffalo mozzarella. Now I'm torn.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT