Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Slow Thursday troll: what's for dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Slow Thursday troll: what's for dinner?

by Jenise » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:41 pm

Bad day for me to ask because not much is happening here. We might be going out for sushi with friends. If we don't, I'm going to try a few recipes I'm submitting to a contest by Trader Joe's, though 'contest' may too big a word. Basically, you come up with a recipe using just four ingredients (Trader Joe's products), not including binders or fats that can be made in 20 minutes, and if they select it for their new recipe website, they pay you $25. Not worth a lot of effort, but as I strolled their aisles a few days ago I had a lot of ideas, so here I go.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Slow Thursday troll: what's for dinner?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:21 pm

I am still undecided. I really feel like fondue for some reason, but may just opt for mac and cheese. But I also have some green chile and cheese tamales in the fridge which would be much quicker by the time I get home from an after-work haircut.
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:43 pm

Jenise, I recently went to a charity luncheon "catered" by a rep of Trader Joe's. She had made a number of things using TJ's ingredients, just as you are doing today. The best were some savory tarts using the puff pastry sheets, pesto, grilled vegetables and cheese, a sweet/savory tart using the same sheets, sliced pears and gorgonzola cheese, and a brown rice salad using snap peas, toasted nuts and cranberries. Lots of potential with all their new food items I think.

As for us, I've got a a small end of a filet mignon that I'm going to slice and do something with...and I haven't yet got any good ideas, but I know I'm looking forward to opening a good bottle of wine, maybe a Le Cuvier Cabernet. We've had pasta twice already this week and fish tacos yesterday.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:56 pm

Spicy Black Bean & Sausage Soup here.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:05 pm

Ines Nyby wrote:Jenise, I recently went to a charity luncheon "catered" by a rep of Trader Joe's. She had made a number of things using TJ's ingredients, just as you are doing today. The best were some savory tarts using the puff pastry sheets, pesto, grilled vegetables and cheese, a sweet/savory tart using the same sheets, sliced pears and gorgonzola cheese, and a brown rice salad using snap peas, toasted nuts and cranberries. Lots of potential with all their new food items I think.

As for us, I've got a a small end of a filet mignon that I'm going to slice and do something with...and I haven't yet got any good ideas, but I know I'm looking forward to opening a good bottle of wine, maybe a Le Cuvier Cabernet. We've had pasta twice already this week and fish tacos yesterday.

Thanks to Stuart, I know how good their puff pastry is. Real butter--yumm! I hadn't realized until two days ago how many ready-to-eat products they make since I tend not to buy pre-made. But there were dozens of sauces and tapenades, even rice and lentils already seasoned and cooked. Almost anything I could think of already existed. About the only thing I didn't find that would have been useful in one of my ideas was already-cooked beef (to stay under the 20 minute limit). But in looking for it, I did find already cooked fresh chicken ready to dice and which gave me other ideas.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:12 pm

We invited a friend over for pasta, then realised we had no pasta, so we made fresh ! Fettucine with meatballs, and dessert was new chocolate spelt buns I was trialling.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:48 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:Spicy Black Bean & Sausage Soup here.

Update: It turned into Manhattan-style clam chowder
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:13 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:

Now that's quite a change. Did the cats get a vote?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:17 pm

I made Jenise's meatloaf and it is ready to put into the oven. I have not had meatloaf is a very long time and the ingredients sucked me in, especially the sun-dried tomatoes. I have some romaine lettuce from the Farmer's Market , the dark Burgundy lettuce and arugula in my garden, so I made a Caesar dressing to toss it all with. I love baked potatoes with meatloaf, Gene likes mashed, so we'll see.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:19 pm

Jenise wrote:
Linda R. (NC) wrote:

Now that's quite a change. Did the cats get a vote?

Nope, nobody got a vote. It was an executive decision. Didn't feel like going out for more onions.

Thank goodness for a well-stocked pantry!! :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:44 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:Nope, nobody got a vote. It was an executive decision. Didn't feel like going out for more onions.

Thank goodness for a well-stocked pantry!! :)

Amen. You've given me an idea--I have leftover clam sauce and leftover meat sauce from last week's Italian dinner for 70, and I've more than used up my carb allotment. Maybe I'll combine the two for a chowder!
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:29 pm

No cooking for me tonight. We're headed to Bodega Bistro in SF for Vietnamese food.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:54 pm

Haven't a clue! I cooked night before last and ate the leftovers last night. I've got oxtails in the fridge. Thought I might do those in a stew Jamaican style. But, just don't have the energy. Going to lie around on the couch, look for the re-run of Top Chef, prepare for my interview with Lynn Rossetto Kasper next week, and eat sea salt and almond dark chocolate. My husband can figure the rest out for himself. :|
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:14 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:
So what did you end up doing?

Tempura shrimp, mango California roll, rainbow roll, veggie dragon roll.....

Cleary, I didn't cook at home!
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:46 pm

Hubby doesn't get home until 8:40pm...so it will be grilled pork chops, mashed potatoes, and corn. Nothing special...too tired to do much else!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:17 pm

I also considered mac'n'cheese, realized how tight my pants are getting and have opted for a spicy Hunan version of mu shu vegetables and tofu.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:53 pm

Stuart, just get bigger pants.

Chicken enchiladas, refried beans, jicama salad, and a Firestone Double Barrel Ale.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:55 pm

I cooked 1 "cornish game hen" using a Pierre Frenay recipe for "Cornish Game Hens Bonne Femme", and a side of "Tomato Saute" from the original hard-cover Sunset Cook Book. The game hen was delicious, and the tomato saute is one of those easy old standards that I never tire of. Had a Dillian Barbera '05 with it - a fine fit.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:01 pm

Update:

My best friend called just as I was leaving my office for my haircut and suggested we meet at one of our favorite places in the neighborhood for an early dinner since her husband was working out of town. So that's what we did.

We had shared apps of whole edamame, Vietnamese spring rolls, and potstickers. And she had a cup of coconut soup too.

I had a really nice bowl of Singapore noodles. I didn't think they were hot, but the waiter said *everyone* thinks they are hot. Wimps. My friend had some kind of shrimp curry.

A Singapore Sling each with apps, and I had a glass of some French pinot noir I never heard of and don't remember.

No desserts because the baby was starting to be bored and we were soooooooooo full.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:40 pm

Dinner was Thai mahogany fire noodles. This turned out to be a particularly incendiary batch.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:12 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Dinner was Thai mahogany fire noodles. This turned out to be a particularly incendiary batch.

-Paul W.

Still afire, are ya?
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:39 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I am still undecided.

Hmm, I could have sworn I posted yesterday, saying Jenise always asks this question too early ... it was only 2 p.m. and I was well short of making a decision yet.

As it turned out, I baked some chicken pieces in a Greek-style sauce of Greek yogurt and lemon zest. 'twas pretty good!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:48 am

Ended up doing a quick pasta with greens, chorizo, and a little garlic. Turned out well for a very last-minute supper.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:18 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I am still undecided.

Hmm, I could have sworn I posted yesterday, saying Jenise always asks this question too early ... it was only 2 p.m. and I was well short of making a decision yet.

As it turned out, I baked some chicken pieces in a Greek-style sauce of Greek yogurt and lemon zest. 'twas pretty good!

Happens to me all the time. You posted at the same exact moment someone else did and didn't notice that the software told you there'd been another post and asked you if you really wanted to post anyway. If you fail to answer that yes, it loses your post. Or supposedly that's how it happens, I would swear that sometimes I don't get asked....
Next