Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP /Foodletter: Carbonnades a la Flamande

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP /Foodletter: Carbonnades a la Flamande

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:20 pm

Carbonnades a la Flamande

Some of the dishes that were all the rage back in the 1970s and '80s are just as well left to history and nostalgia's warm glow. For instance, I'm not sure that I'll ever make Beef Wellington again.

But some of the familiar classics of a generation ago are good enough to deserve a place in our modern recipe files. The other night, for instance, looking for something hearty to warm a chilly early spring evening, I thought of Carbonnades a la Flamande, a Belgian beef-and-beer stew so popular in an earlier era that versions of it appeared in both Julia Child's Mastering The Art Of French Cooking and Craig Claiborne's New York Times Cookbook.

Checking the archives for both versions, I found Claiborne's version more akin to my recollection, and easy enough to put together. Preparation time is brief, although quiet patience is required while it cooks: With tougher braising cuts of beef, an hour's slow simmer is good and two hours is better, so plan to start this one well before dinner.

I stayed fairly close to Claiborne's original recipe, although I substituted good-quality olive oil for the generic "salad oil" called for in the New York Times Cookbook, copyright 1961.

INGREDIENTS:
(Serves two)

1 medium onion, enough to make about 1 cup chopped
1-2 cloves garlic
1 pound (480g) stewing beef
2 tablespoons (30g) all-purpose flour
Salt
Black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 12-ounce bottle good-quality beer
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or 1/2 teaspoon fresh

PROCEDURE:

1. Peel and chop the onion; peel the garlic and mince it fine. If the beef is not already cut up, cut it into 1-inch cubes. Don't try to "improve" the dish by using tenderloin or a good steak here; you want chuck or a similar braising cut with plenty of flavor that will stand up to long cooking.

2. Put the flour in a bowl and season it to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Put in the cubes of beef and toss and stir them until they're well coated with seasoned flour. Remove the meat to a clean plate, knocking off any excess flour.

3. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet and saute the onions and garlic over high heat until they're soft and starting to brown. Remove the onions and garlic to a bowl and put in the dredged beef, adding a little more olive oil if needed. Brown the meat on all sides, then return the cooked olives and garlic to the skillet.

4. Pour in the beer. A good Belgian ale like Chimay, Leffe or Duvel is best; I'd avoid dark beers or very hoppy ales, which would bring unexpected flavors to the dish. Put in the bay leaf and thyme.

5. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover the skillet and simmer over very low heat for one to two hours or until the meat is very tender. Check seasoning, add salt and pepper if necessary, and serve with crusty bread or potatoes.

WINE MATCH: This dish will work with any fruity red wine - it was fine with the Domaine André Brunel 2005 Vin de Pays de Vaucluse Grenache featured in Monday's 30 Second Wine Advisor - but it really works best with good beer, ideally the same beer you used to cook it with.

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: RCP /Foodletter: Carbonnades a la Flamande

by Paul Winalski » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:3. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet and saute the onions and garlic over high heat until they're soft and starting to brown. Remove the onions and garlic to a bowl and put in the dredged beef, adding a little more olive oil if needed. Brown the meat on all sides, then return the cooked olives and garlic to the skillet.

Robin, did you mean "return the cooked onions and garlic to the skillet"?

I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe out. Thanks.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:15 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Robin, did you mean "return the cooked onions and garlic to the skillet"?

Dang! Brain flatulence. Yes, onions, olives, one of those round things.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Some of the dishes that were all the rage back in the 1970s and '80s are just as well left to history and nostalgia's warm glow. For instance, I'm not sure that I'll ever make Beef Wellington again.

What's wrong with Beef Wellington? I just had it at a party last week and thought to myself that I wished I had it more often.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:06 pm

Sounds great Robin...American's Test Kitchen just did a similar recipe and I have been thinking about it since then. Your post has convinced me to make this.

ITA with Dave though...I love Beef Wellington, have yet to be successful in making it, but when done right, I think it's absolutely delicious!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:58 pm

Maria,

I wonder if it is some type of "meat combined with pastry" bigotry in the south. They probably think the two should be segregated. Whereas I am from the north and think the two should be integrated. :)
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:58 pm

Dave R wrote:What's wrong with Beef Wellington? I just had it at a party last week and thought to myself that I wished I had it more often.

Nuthin', really. I just picked it at random as a sort of '60s cliche. If somebody put a slice in front of me, I'd eat it with pleasure, but I kind of doubt I'd make it for myself. ;)
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:43 pm

Dave R wrote:Maria,

I wonder if it is some type of "meat combined with pastry" bigotry in the south. They probably think the two should be segregated. Whereas I am from the north and think the two should be integrated. :)

Dave...your comment really did make me LOL!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:26 pm

I have some "internet" friends in Belgium, and my German is pretty good, so last June we flew into Brussels. Spent time in Ghent and Bruges, then east. Köln, Piesport, Trier. We were lucky, there were wonderful museum exhibits in Trier, since Emperor Constantine lived there for several years before moving east and giving his name to Constantinople. Piesport was like heaven, roses blooming, the quiet river running by, little asterisks of green grapes on the vines up on the Goldtröpfchen hill. "Nothing to do" but eat drink and walk around enjoying the view and the scent of the place. We finished with a few days in Brussels, fabulous museums.

I have always thought it was a little odd that the basic dish of Flemish cuisine should be known by its foreign (French) name. Even in French the word "flammande" gives it away as a dish of the Vlaams.

It is calle STOVERIJ, sometimes Stovery, which basically just means "stew." And it is on menus all over the country, sometimes in both languages and sometimes not. It is roughly the same dish as found around Europe including the "Daube de Taureau" down in the Languedoc, except for the obvious substitution of beer for red wine. The use of lots of onions is also typically Flemish. It is a very savory wonderful food and I have cooked it many times. Delicious stuff and a good suggestion, Robin. Except, have you looked at a calendar recently? Like Bouef Bourguignon, this one is probably best from October to March.

Frank
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:The other night, for instance, looking for something hearty to warm a chilly early spring evening,
Frank Deis wrote: Except, have you looked at a calendar recently? Like Bouef Bourguignon, this one is probably best from October to March
Frank
Sometimes temperature trumps season :)

Robin, do you end up with much sauce/gravy?
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:31 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Carbonnades a la Flamande

But some of the familiar classics of a generation ago are good enough to deserve a place in our modern recipe files. The other night, for instance, looking for something hearty to warm a chilly early spring evening, I thought of Carbonnades a la Flamande, a Belgian beef-and-beer stew so popular in an earlier era that versions of it appeared in both Julia Child's Mastering The Art Of French Cooking and Craig Claiborne's New York Times Cookbook. ( ... lengthy backquote deleted)

Dang, I thought for sure as I read on that I was going to come to: "Now, Carey's version in Chef on Fire..."
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:50 pm

Given my comprehensive command of French, I was wondering what a recipe for "burning charcoal" would be all about.

Looks good!
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:42 am

Intriguing commentary, Frank, thanks!

Frank Deis wrote:Delicious stuff and a good suggestion, Robin. Except, have you looked at a calendar recently? Like Bouef Bourguignon, this one is probably best from October to March.

Good point! This is definitely a wintry dish. I can defend myself, though! :D First, I made this a couple of weeks ago; and second, we had a surprisingly gray and chilly early spring here. I wouldn't make a hearty beef dish this week, but earlier in the month a stew-like dish seemed just right.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:45 am

Linda R. (NC) wrote:Sometimes temperature trumps season :)

Just what I told Frank! Spring took FOREVER to get here this year! It wasn't exactly a wintry March and early April, just chilly and damp. :P

Robin, do you end up with much sauce/gravy?

Define "much." It is a stew, so certainly the meat ends up surrounded with lots of tasty brown liquid, but I wouldn't call it an inordinate amount, and the flour from the dredging does its part to thicken the sauce.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:17 am

Dave R wrote:Maria,

Excuse me?? We Southerners do mix meat and pastry - country ham biscuits, for one delicious example. Beef Wellington, otoh, isn't eaten much in the South because it just sounds too high-falutin' and Yankee to be good. :wink:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε