Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What next?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

What next?

by Larry Greenly » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:55 am

Price of rice is doubling and stores like Sam's Club are limiting purchases.

Arby's is buying Wendy's. I sure hope they don't screw around and ruin the only fast food joint I go to.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Re: What next?

by Linda R. (NC) » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:25 am

Larry Greenly wrote:Arby's is buying Wendy's. I sure hope they don't screw around and ruin the only fast food joint I go to.
And Dave Thomas just turned over in his grave.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:10 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:Arby's is buying Wendy's. I sure hope they don't screw around and ruin the only fast food joint I go to.

Arby's? I keep expecting them to go under. When they first came out, the sandwiches were great. REAL roast beef, thinly sliced on the spot. And then it turned into lunch meat roast beef, all chopped/pressed/formed and tasting of preservatives. But that aside, the few outlets I see around are never very busy. Whenever I see one that's on the same block, say, as a McDonalds, Burger King or Wendy's, and the parking lots are always comparatively emptyish. How can they be rich enough to buy a chain as successful as Wendy's?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:15 pm

My three kids proudly count the number of years it's been since we've been in any fast food joint.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:25 pm

Jenise wrote:How can they be rich enough to buy a chain as successful as Wendy's?
This might shed some light on it.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:52 am

Jenise wrote:
Linda R. (NC) wrote:

Arby's? I keep expecting them to go under. When they first came out, the sandwiches were great. REAL roast beef, thinly sliced on the spot. And then it turned into lunch meat roast beef, all chopped/pressed/formed and tasting of preservatives. But that aside, the few outlets I see around are never very busy. Whenever I see one that's on the same block, say, as a McDonalds, Burger King or Wendy's, and the parking lots are always comparatively emptyish. How can they be rich enough to buy a chain as successful as Wendy's?

I'm with you. When I discovered Arby's in the '60s, they had real roast beef hanging on chains, not the pressed and formed stuff they have today. I thought they were the greatest.

The Arby's restaurants in Albuquerque are always almost deserted. And the health dept came down really hard on them a couple of months ago for things such as dead pigeons in their exhaust ducts, etc. It does make you wonder how they stay afloat, but over the past decade a number of them have bitten the dust here.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:29 am

When my husband and I had to stay at a hotel for a couple weeks during our remodel we ordered an Arby's sandwich from across the street. How disappointing. They advertised some kind of steak and onion with cheese. The steak was pressed meat, and the cheese was that glop that comes out of a press bottle. He brought it back to me feeling like the proud urban huter he is -- I took one look and threw it all away. I decided eat the 70% cocao chocolates for dinner I had bought instead. Yuk! :evil:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:29 pm

I've never been to an Arby's, went to Wendy's once for a baked potato, don't like Burger King or McDonald's....I stay away from Taco Bell's after what an employee there deposited into one of our local cops refried beans and he ended up in the hospital. Subway is ok, I think I have been there twice. We eat lunch at home or else go to a locally owned restaurants here in Redding. When I was working, I made home made soups on the weekends to take or when I did go out, it was always to a locally owned establishment.
I have ordered custom made sandwiches at Raley's or Safeway when traveling and have always been happy with them. I like that the staff wears gloves and hair coverings. Oh, we also have a couple of locally owned burger joints here and I used to frequent them until they closed down the one nearest our home. The three remaining are really out of my way. :(
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:06 pm

:( Poor Karen, what a deprived life you've led.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:35 pm

Larry Greenly wrote::( Poor Karen, what a deprived life you've led.

Yep, awful isn't it? I'm my own worst enemy! Maybe next week I'll splurge and go to our newly opened Chipotle Grill. :lol:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:14 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:When my husband and I had to stay at a hotel for a couple weeks during our remodel we ordered an Arby's sandwich from across the street. How disappointing. They advertised some kind of steak and onion with cheese. The steak was pressed meat, and the cheese was that glop that comes out of a press bottle. He brought it back to me feeling like the proud urban huter he is -- I took one look and threw it all away. I decided eat the 70% cocao chocolates for dinner I had bought instead. Yuk! :evil:

I remember going to Arby's when I was a kid and loving the place. I thought it was great that you could get a good roast beef sandwich from a fast food place and the horseradish sauce they had was fantastic. For whatever reason, I didn't go into one for a number of years and when I went back I was appalled. I'm with the others who can't understand how they've managed to stay in business. I'd take even McDonald's over Arby's any day.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:24 pm

I have not dined at Arby's since I was in college and they had the five "roast beef" sandwiches for five bucks deal. Even in those days I thought Arby's was dreadful. Fast forward to 2008. Intense marketing campaign, the lame attempt to appear healthier than burgers, the resurgence of that stupid hat, etc. and a colleague of mine (that has excellent taste) lashed out at the rest of us in the office for refusing to join her for a lunch trip to Arby's. She said that their chicken salad sandwich was better than any she had tasted before and would repay anyone in our group that purchased one and did not like it. I shrugged her offer off and said no thanks.

Of the people that did take her up on her offer...Not one asked for repayment, and I work with some legendary cheapskates that would ask for a refund even if they only mildly liked the food. This is what they had from Arby's:

"Freshly prepared chicken salad, made with 100% all-natural grilled chicken, apples, grapes, celery, toasted pecans and mayo, with green leaf lettuce on thick sliced honey wheat bread."

I will stick to my ho-made lunches, but I will at least give Arby's some credit even despite the stupid hat.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:29 am

Dave R wrote:... my ho-made lunches,...

:shock: And they cook too?! Wow...
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε