Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Arugula Lovers White Bean Soup w/Ham Hocks

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Arugula Lovers White Bean Soup w/Ham Hocks

by Jenise » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:37 pm

This is an adaption of a recipe I found in some cooking magazine long ago, and which I'll be making on Tuesday to celebrate my first harvest of arugula. (I know you guys are baking in the east, but it's still bean soup weather here. It's an outstanding bean soup all by itself, but you can apply the rather novel idea of adding the fresh arugula and/or the spicey corn bread croutons to any bean soup in your repertoire.

For the soup:
1 lb dried small white beans such as navy or Great Northern
Approximately 1 lb smoked ham hocks
1/4 cup olive oil
l large onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 - 2 cups peeled, seeded and diced tomatoes
4 fresh thyme sprigs
8 cups chicken broth
3 cups fresh arugula, rinsed and trimmed of bad leaves and rangy stems (reserve until service)

Soak beans overnight. Drain and rinse well. Simmer ham hocks in water to cover, covered, for one hour, skim any foam that develops. Reserve. In an 8 quart Dutch oven, sweat onions and garlic in olive oil, then add tomatoes and thyme. Saute for a few minutes, then add soaked beans, chicken broth, ham hocks and broth, and simmer until the beans are tender, about one hour.

Make the croutons while the soup simmers:
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 tsp cumin
3 cups cubed corn bread
Cholula sauce

Mix the cumin and melted butter, then toss with the corn bread cubes and spread out on a cookie sheet. Toast in a 400 degree oven until lightly browned, about 12 minutes.

Before serving, remove ham hocks and shred the meat. Stir the meat back into the soup along with the arugula. When the arugula has wilted, about two minutes, serve topped with croutons and a few shakes of Cholula sauce.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: RCP: Arugula Lovers White Bean Soup w/Ham Hocks

by Dave R » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:16 pm

I know you guys are baking in the east, but it's still bean soup weather here

Jenise,

This sounds excellent and it is still chilly here so I will try this next week. What would you recommend as a wine match?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:21 pm

Dave R wrote:
I know you guys are baking in the east, but it's still bean soup weather here

Jenise,

This sounds excellent and it is still chilly here so I will try this next week. What would you recommend as a wine match?

I go two ways on the wine with this dish. If red is calling me, a southern Rhone with a few years age on it works well. If white, then sauvignon blanc enhances the arugula factor.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:16 pm

I've never tried arugula cooked.....never thought of it frankly. I have it in my garden and have been picking the baby leaves for a month now. It never matures as I keep picking the tiny leaves when they are about two inches long. The soup recipe looks great. I will let some of my leaves mature and try your soup in a few weeks.
Yesterday, I cooked anasazi beans with ham hocks. We had them for dinner, and I had a bowl for lunch today. I love those beans. probably the tastiest I've ever had. I like to cook my ham hocks in chicken broth a day early. When they are falling apart, I defat the hocks and shred the meat, put the broth in the refer, then skim off the congealed fat the next day. That fat is so darn tasty, I should keep it for something - but what? My dog loves the ham trimmings.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:25 pm

Oh Jenise...this recipe looked so good, that last night, I decided I had to have a bowl...of course I had none of the ingredients on hand. So I substitued smoked pork shoulder for the ham hocks and some of my baby mustard weeds and dandelion for the arugula, some leftover black beans and cooked them in a chicken broth. It was good, but hopefully, I can get the right ingredients and make the soup. We are in the mist of a cool, rainy snap here...perfect soup weather!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:40 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Oh Jenise...this recipe looked so good, that last night, I decided I had to have a bowl...of course I had none of the ingredients on hand. So I substitued smoked pork shoulder for the ham hocks and some of my baby mustard weeds and dandelion for the arugula, some leftover black beans and cooked them in a chicken broth. It was good, but hopefully, I can get the right ingredients and make the soup. We are in the mist of a cool, rainy snap here...perfect soup weather!

Maria, I'll bet your improv tasted very good--can't argue with a thing you did. You certainly got the basics in there with the smoked pork flavor and greens--not that I think there's a substitute for arugula. What might have been missing most was the visual effect of the brilliant emerald arugula swimming about amongst the white beans.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:43 pm

Interesting coinkydink - without reference to a recipe, and without (as far as I know) lurking in this forum, Mary came up with an almost identical dish for tonight, but without the croutons and substituting kale for the arugula.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:06 pm

Indeed, cavolo nero = lancinato kale=dinosaur kale= black kale, is a wonderful green in this soup. The "edge" of the arugula or kale adds a complex depth of flavor.
I've never totally cooked arugula but use it wilted - added at the last minute to many hot dishes from pizza to pasta sauce to soups.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:43 am

Robin Garr wrote:Interesting coinkydink - without reference to a recipe, and without (as far as I know) lurking in this forum, Mary came up with an almost identical dish for tonight, but without the croutons and substituting kale for the arugula.

She was definitely channeling her inner Tuscan then, as kale and white beans is a very traditional soup there. Great, isn't it? My version is really just a modern, American, southern version of the same dish.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Sun May 11, 2008 11:02 pm

Smoked Ham hocks are not ingredients that I grew up with. I had occasion to use them a couple of weeks ago with beans and I believe that there are few better combinations in all of cooking.
Howard