Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do you keep bottarga on hand?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

Do you keep bottarga on hand?

by Ines Nyby » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:13 pm

I was perusing one of my Italian cookbooks and see many references to bottarga, the dried, salted roe of either tuna or gray mullet. I've never used it, nor have I ever tasted it in a restaurant. Do any of you keep it on hand and use it regularly? It's expensive, about $100 for two pieces of the dried gray mullet roe, which is covered in beeswax which you have to remove before using the bottarga.
So is it worth buying to experiment with? Which kind is better, the tuna or mullet? How long can you keep it? And does anyone have a reliable source? TIA--
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Do you keep bottarga on hand?

by Jenise » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:28 pm

Ines, I've had only one encounter with bottarga that I can remember, and I remember it vividly. Along with tomatoes and sliced fresh fennel bulb, it was the topping on one of the best pizzas I've ever had, and that was at Otto, Mario Batali's Manhattan pizzeria. I have otherwise never even seen it for sale and have no idea where one would buy it in L.A. Don't recall seeing it at Serfas, for example--but I wasn't looking for it, either. Would be a good place to start.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:34 pm

Ines Nyby wrote:I was perusing one of my Italian cookbooks and see many references to bottarga, the dried, salted roe of either tuna or gray mullet. I've never used it, nor have I ever tasted it in a restaurant. Do any of you keep it on hand and use it regularly? It's expensive, about $100 for two pieces of the dried gray mullet roe, which is covered in beeswax which you have to remove before using the bottarga.
So is it worth buying to experiment with? Which kind is better, the tuna or mullet? How long can you keep it? And does anyone have a reliable source? TIA--

Ines - I've seen it for sale here at Corti Brothers, but like you I have been put off by the price. I've seen enough in the way of interesting recipes that require it that I have made my "some day before I die I'll try this stuff" vow, but I haven't done it yet.

FWIW, Corti Brothers does mail order. They're at http://www.cortibros.biz/ They are not likely to be the least expensive source, though.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:10 pm

I've only had tuna so can't comment on the differences. It does not keep indefinitely so would buy and use within a month. I've only had it in a cryovac package. A small amount used like a condiment because of the $ is long on flavor.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:12 pm

:shock:
Ines Nyby wrote: It's expensive, about $100 for two pieces of the dried gray mullet roe

$100 for dried fish eggs?! My Grandpa is laughing his bony ass off in the grave right now... :?
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:38 am

$100 for dried fish eggs?! My Grandpa is laughing his bony ass off in the grave right now... :?

Isn't that the truth! I'd hate to buy $100 worth of salty fishy stuff that I might like but makes everyone else gag...
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:39 am

Ines Nyby wrote:$100 for dried fish eggs?! My Grandpa is laughing his bony ass off in the grave right now... :?

Isn't that the truth! I'd hate to buy $100 worth of salty fishy stuff that I might like but makes everyone else gag...

Yep, I think there's a lot of trickery out there. :)
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:37 am

Ines Nyby wrote:$100 for dried fish eggs?! My Grandpa is laughing his bony ass off in the grave right now... :?

My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:39 am

Ines Nyby wrote:

What I had wasn't salty/fishy, or I'd have been the absolute first to gag on it. It was more that it gave the pizza we had a salty briney complexity--didn't taste like fish or anchovies, to name another fish product, at all.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:46 pm

Jenise wrote:
Ines Nyby wrote:

What I had wasn't salty/fishy, or I'd have been the absolute first to gag on it. It was more that it gave the pizza we had a salty briney complexity--didn't taste like fish or anchovies, to name another fish product, at all.

From all accounts, the stuff does not taste at all like salty fish eggs. One of these days, I'll splurge and find out for myself.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child