Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cinco de Mayo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Cinco de Mayo

by Dave R » Thu May 01, 2008 12:32 pm

Are you making anything special or going out to eat for Cinco de Mayo? Anyone going to pop open that trophy bottle of Mexican wine tonight? :)
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Cinco de Mayo

by Howie Hart » Thu May 01, 2008 12:39 pm

Why tonight? May 5th is next Monday.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Thu May 01, 2008 12:52 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Why tonight? May 5th is next Monday.

For some odd reason I thought it was today but you are right. Man I'd make a rotten Mexican. :oops:
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu May 01, 2008 1:10 pm

Dave R wrote:

For some odd reason I thought it was today but you are right. Man I'd make a rotten Mexican. :oops:

Look at it this way, Dave, you've just got a head start. :lol:
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu May 01, 2008 2:10 pm

Dave R wrote:Are you making anything special or going out to eat for Cinco de Mayo? Anyone going to pop open that trophy bottle of Mexican wine tonight? :)

Since Cinco de Mayo is a "holiday" celebrated mostly in the US (and purportedly concocted in CA in response to the French occupation of Mexico in the 1860s), I'd suggest celebrating with another great "Mexican" staple, the burrito, and a Pacifico. That should successfully capture the spirit of the event :P

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu May 01, 2008 3:54 pm

I only made a concerted effort to celebrate Cinco de Mayo one time. And I failed miserably.

A few years ago, on the fifth of May, about ten in the evening, I was standing on the terrace at la Perla Restaurant at La Quebrada in Acapulco.

A guy had just jumped off a 130 foot cliff, through a fire and into the ocean.

It was a very impressive feat. He came up with all his compatriots and we met them. I was surprised at how small they seemed.

I had always wanted to come to this place. But, I couldn't get into it for some reason.

I was drinking a monumentally bad Margarita and had just come outside after looking at the signatures on the walls - Hemingway, Ava Gardner and a spiffy signed photograph of Johnny Weissmuller on the wall (he's buried in Acapulco - I wanted to go to his grave, but didn't make it) I shook their hands and told them how I brave I thought them.

But, I didn't feel good.

In fact I felt really bad.

Found out when I got back to Memphis three days later I had pneumonia.

Maybe I'll make up for it this year. :)
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu May 01, 2008 3:55 pm

Now if I can just find some Tres Equis in Oregon.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu May 01, 2008 5:04 pm

I'm not one to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, but I'm also not one to ignore a perfectly good opportunity to cook up a spread and play some Alejandro Escovedo and Ozomatl real loud. SOOOOOOO, we'll see when Monday comes. I am otherwise tied up this weekend as the B Dock Chairperson for our little yacht club's progressive dinner. We drew the main course which was mandated to be grilled brats by the Commodore. I'll be doing the grilling plus I'm making the sauerkraut because everybody else but me would serve it straight out of the jar. I'm not especially excited by the menu but I'm actually pleased it's not Mexican in honor of Cinco de Mayo like it was last year--they made it a pot luck and every single person brought chips and store-bought salsa except for one woman on A Dock who brought buffalo style chicken wings. As soon as word got around about the wings there was a rush to her boat, and the dock almost sank from the weight! At least we'll have real food this year, and it will be done right.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu May 01, 2008 5:28 pm

My wife's boss has had a Cinco de Mayo party each year for the past decade or so. He's a very busy guy, though, so I don't think the party's ever happened before the middle of July. I think last year's might have been in September.

But the food's great!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu May 01, 2008 10:16 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm not one to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, but I'm also not one to ignore a perfectly good opportunity to cook up a spread and play some Alejandro Escovedo and Ozomatl real loud.

Heh! I just went to see Alejandro play live here in my little burg not more than a month ago. That was the first time I'd seen him play since the days of the Nuns. His upcoming album, co-written with Chuck Prophet, sounds like a real winner. One track's already been getting airplay on "World Cafe."

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri May 02, 2008 6:13 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm not one to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, but I'm also not one to ignore a perfectly good opportunity to cook up a spread and play some Alejandro Escovedo and Ozomatl real loud. SOOOOOOO, we'll see when Monday comes. I am otherwise tied up this weekend as the B Dock Chairperson for our little yacht club's progressive dinner. We drew the main course which was mandated to be grilled brats by the Commodore. I'll be doing the grilling plus I'm making the sauerkraut

Jenise, as a child growing up in the 40's and 50's (and before) my Mother had several (six or more) 5 gallon pottery crocks. She always made sauerkraut (my father was German) in at least three of them. My siblings and I would frequently sneak around and manage to eat one of them before it was fully fermented and ready to can. I can easily remember getting a fistful of the (half?) fermented cabbage and scarfing it right there. She also made REAL dill, bread and butter, mustard, sweet, pickles in those same pottery crocks. Man, that was some fine eating! To this day I would pay good money for one of those crocks, except I would want a spigot on mine. (do you know how good sauerkraut juice is)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri May 02, 2008 10:09 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Jenise, as a child growing up in the 40's and 50's (and before) my Mother had several (six or more) 5 gallon pottery crocks. She always made sauerkraut (my father was German) in at least three of them.

My father still makes sauerkraut in that kind of crock every year. One of my brothers-in-law is an over-the-road trucker and swings through my area to bring me care packages that have the 'kraut and other treats, including Dad's homemade mead.

I love love love homemade sauerkraut!
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat May 03, 2008 12:44 am

Dave R wrote:

In my limited experience May 5 occurs on the same day every year.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sat May 03, 2008 1:01 am

I'm always a little confused by the fact that Cinco de Mayo and the Kentucky Derby occur in the same week.

I usually buy a bottle of Bourbon, a bottle of Tequila, and a batch of mint.

Then I can't remember what happened next.

F
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat May 03, 2008 11:48 am

Frank Deis wrote:I'm always a little confused by the fact that Cinco de Mayo and the Kentucky Derby occur in the same week.

But the Kentucky Derby is a major cultural and ethnic holiday! 8)
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat May 03, 2008 12:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:But the Kentucky Derby is a major cultural and ethnic holiday! 8)
At least it is for the urbanites who are lucky enough to actually live in the big city, but for the bumpkins who live in rest of the state it is just an excuse to get drunk.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Sat May 03, 2008 1:58 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:To this day I would pay good money for one of those crocks, except I would want a spigot on mine. (do you know how good sauerkraut juice is)

Mental note to self...Never drink any liquid Bob H. serves to me. :lol:

Just kidding, Bob. When I was a kid, my Grandfather made sauerkraut in a large bin in the garage. Of course he only served it at parties when everyone would be outside. :wink:
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat May 03, 2008 3:12 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Frank Deis wrote:I'm always a little confused by the fact that Cinco de Mayo and the Kentucky Derby occur in the same week.

But the Kentucky Derby is a major cultural and ethnic holiday! 8)

Big Brown, ya think?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat May 03, 2008 3:43 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Big Brown, ya think?

I think he'll draw a major local following here in the home of a major UPS hub ...
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat May 03, 2008 4:45 pm

Just tapped into this Cinco de Mayo thread. Yeu've given me the idea I needed for my soup for Sunday dinner. Chicken Tortilla soup! Yeah!!! Thx.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat May 03, 2008 5:21 pm

I saw Tyler Florence make up a batch of enchilladas with sauces two days ago. Since I love this dish and have tried countless ones, I want to try his. May not get to it on Monday or even next week. But when I do get to it, that is what I will make for Cinco de Mayo. :lol:
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat May 03, 2008 5:39 pm

Made a batch of pork carnitas with chile verde (and tomatillos) - one of my 25 favorite dishes.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat May 03, 2008 7:27 pm

I have a friend who is really into bondage (NO! It is not me...really) and every May 5th he throws a party with all his kinky friends called Kinko de Mayo.

rwj
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat May 03, 2008 7:43 pm

Robert J. wrote:I have a friend who is really into bondage (NO! It is not me...really) and every May 5th he throws a party with all his kinky friends called Kinko de Mayo.

Gee, Robert and your friend isn't inviting his WLDG buddies? :wink:
Next