Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Feast your eyes on this, pizza lovers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Feast your eyes on this, pizza lovers

by Jenise » Fri May 02, 2008 12:06 pm

People who build their homes from scratch these days can have one of these built in, like Christina, but here's an alternative for the rest of us. Williams Sonoma sells it for two grand (and about $300 shipping), but others sell it for a bit less.

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/beehive-oven
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Feast your eyes on this, pizza lovers

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri May 02, 2008 12:10 pm

An interesting approach, and gives renters and short-timers a way to have that outdoor wood-burning oven. I wish it were less than $2k, though...
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 02, 2008 12:28 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:An interesting approach, and gives renters and short-timers a way to have that outdoor wood-burning oven. I wish it were less than $2k, though...

Me, too. I went OOH! OOH! (mind racing to imagine me incorporating this into the relandscaping project that is right this second underway) until I saw the price.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri May 02, 2008 6:46 pm

Yowch!!! Wonder if you could find that somewhere else for a lot less money?

Neat idea, though.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 02, 2008 7:48 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Yowch!!! Wonder if you could find that somewhere else for a lot less money?

Or even get someone to make one for you?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri May 02, 2008 10:06 pm

Jenise wrote:Or even get someone to make one for you?

That's exactly what I was thinking Jenise. There are so many people here who know how to build hornos. Now I'm wondering how much that would cost.

True, it's not portable, but......
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat May 03, 2008 9:50 am

Jenise wrote:People who build their homes from scratch these days can have one of these built in, like Christina, but here's an alternative for the rest of us. Williams Sonoma sells it for two grand (and about $300 shipping), but others sell it for a bit less.

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/beehive-oven

Jenise,

I suspect you and everyone else is tired of reading the praise I heap upon my Kamado cooker. But I can't resist one more time. Click on the link below and you will be taken to a web page with pictures of a pizza cooked on a #5 Kamado. ( Scroll down the page to see the pictures of the pizza) Mine is a #7 and one can buy them as small as a number one. A number one has a cooking grid about 13" diameter where my #7 is 22.5", and a #5 has a grid of 18". Cooking with charcoal you get that slight smoky flavor and aroma, and if one wants a bit more, then just throw in a chunk of your favorite wood. AND, the Kamado will cook a lot more than pizza. :-)

http://www.kamado.com/discus/messages/3/1827.html
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Mon May 05, 2008 12:10 pm

If you drive around Portugal, you will see hundreds of terracotta ovens for sale at various roadside locations, and they are beautifully made. Also, they cost about $200, not two grand. Unfortunately, the
shipping from Portugal might be prohibitive...Now I'm wondering if one could buy a similar thing Made in Mexico, for much less??
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 05, 2008 12:39 pm

Ines Nyby wrote:If you drive around Portugal, you will see hundreds of terracotta ovens for sale at various roadside locations, and they are beautifully made. Also, they cost about $200, not two grand. Unfortunately, the
shipping from Portugal might be prohibitive...Now I'm wondering if one could buy a similar thing Made in Mexico, for much less??

Bet you could! Especially now that everyone whose going to get a chimnaya has one, a new product suggestion might be quite welcome. :)
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon May 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Would a Weber grill fueled with oak wood do sort of the same thing as the terra cotta? I've been doing that for years - last time was just this past Friday when my daughter (14) had 20 friends over. I worry that the terra cotta would fail after a few years of many heating and cooling cycles - has this been an issue at all?
Last edited by Jon Peterson on Tue May 06, 2008 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon May 05, 2008 5:22 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:Would a Weber grill fueled with oak wood do sort of the same thing as the terra cotta? I've been doing that for years - last time was just this opast Friday when my daughter (14) had 20 friends over. I worry that the terra cotta would fail after a few years of many heating and cooling cycles - has this been an issue at all?

Jon,

I would not think that the weber made from metal, could possibly do what a clay (terra cotta) oven can do. in the first place metal radiates heat while the clay tends to soak it up and give it back to the baking chamber. That is the principal of my Kamado kooker. I can cook for hours and hours and never dry out the food as it cooks (with a deflector) much like s convection oven. I am not saying you can't do what you propose, just that I don't think so.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue May 06, 2008 1:41 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:I can cook for hours and hours and never dry out the food as it cooks (with a deflector) much like s convection oven. I am not saying you can't do what you propose, just that I don't think so.

Bob - I hadn't thought about the dryness factor which sure is an issue with regular grills. I see your point. Thank you.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 07, 2008 9:44 am

Bob Henrick wrote: I am not saying you can't do what you propose, just that I don't think so.

But Bob, Jon isn't just proposing to do it. He says he's been doing it quite successfully for some time. Another method might yield an even better result, but so much better that he needs another or different piece of equipment? Probably not.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed May 07, 2008 4:49 pm

Jenise wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote: I am not saying you can't do what you propose, just that I don't think so.

But Bob, Jon isn't just proposing to do it. He says he's been doing it quite successfully for some time. Another method might yield an even better result, but so much better that he needs another or different piece of equipment? Probably not.

Jenise, you are correct up to a point. Jon does say he has been doing it on his weber. But is it the same thing? I think not, for at least two reasons. One is that the weber giving off heat to the air (metal) and, two the moisture factor. So will the weber do a pizza? Yes I am sure it would. But, would it do the same thing as the terra cotta oven? I think not. very simply put, metal simply does not cook like clay or ceramic. Maybe for a few things it is even better, but in the overall, I really do not think so.

My S-I-L has a weber (the big one with bells and whistles), and he does a credible pork shoulder on it in about 10 hours of cooking.. But, is it as good as mine on the Ceramic cooker, and the answer has to be no. the meat is dryer, and tougher. It does not pull with two forks, Plus, he has to stay close by to keep feeding fuel to the fire. All that I don't do. If a metal cooker could do what the clay/terra cotta can do, then the latter would not cost like they do. You are right though in that Jon did say he does pizza on his weber, and good on him. BTW, I do own a gas grill, the[url] http://www.hollandgrill.com/
[/url] And it will do things that my charcoal grill will not do. Things like steam fish or vegetables. You are probably right too, in that he likely doesn't need to spend $2000 for a clay pizza oven.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 07, 2008 5:53 pm

Oh I totally agree, Bob, that the results wouldn't be identical. I was just trying to help you out with your assumptions, that's all. I've actually wanted to try putting a pizza on the grill like Jon does myself--never have. Used it to reheat cold pizza, though!

Btw, when I read "S-I-L" I thought 'sister in law' so when you then said "he" I was scratching my head, picturing Dame Edna. Then I realized this would be your daughter's husband. :)