Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP : Pete's lemon cordial

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

RCP : Pete's lemon cordial

by Celia » Mon May 05, 2008 4:35 am

My husband Pete makes a wicked lemon cordial, thought I'd share the recipe. "Cordial" is an English invention (I think), and is basically a sugar syrup that you dilute with water or soda water to make fizzy lemon drink.

Ingredients :

1 lemon (juice and rind)
1 Tbsp Tartaric Acid (powdered)
2 cups boiling water
2 cups white sugar
10 drops of lemon essence or extract (optional)

In a LARGE measuring jug (pyrex), put lemon rind (doesn't need to be finely grated, can be just strips of lemon zest). Pour in the 2 cups of boiling water (make sure you do this BEFORE you add sugar, so that you extract all the oil from the lemon rind). THEN add sugar and stir to dissolve. Add tartaric acid and unstrained lemon juice (pips and all is fine) and lemon essence (optional - we don't usually put this in). Strain into a clean bottle (chuck out all the bits), and keep in fridge. Mix with cold water or soda water as desired (about 1 part cordial to 5 parts water is good).
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: RCP : Pete's lemon cordial

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon May 05, 2008 7:38 am

Where's the alcohol?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: RCP : Pete's lemon cordial

by David Lole » Mon May 05, 2008 8:11 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Where's the alcohol?

You could add some gin if you're (a) desperate.
Cheers,

David