Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Have you ever cooked sturgeon?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Have you ever cooked sturgeon?

by Jenise » Tue May 06, 2008 1:20 pm

A friend's husband has gone fishing for salmon on the Columbia. If the salmon fishing was slow, the plan was to try for sturgeon. Ron's fished for sturgeon before, but never got any in the qualifying 42"-60" limitation for a legal. I just got a call: "45 inches!" So we'll have sturgeon in a day or two. I've never prepared it. I believe I've only eaten it twice, both in restaurants. One was thin slices of smoked fish served with creme fraiche, caviar and a potato gallette, and the other was just a thick square lump of warm white baked fish in a starter course. The fish wasn't bad, but I didn't think it had any particularly appealing characteristics, either. It was just fish, the kind that's only as interesting as the sauce you bury it under.

Is that a typical sturgeon experience? Are there better methods for it?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Have you ever cooked sturgeon?

by Christina Georgina » Tue May 06, 2008 5:46 pm

Even though spearing sturgeon through a hole in the ice is very popular on Lake Winnebago I've never had fresh sturgeon. It seems that it is mostly smoked and I agree with you - a distinctive pale color and large flake but not special. However, my son's Ukranian violin teacher hangs out with some anglers and manages to get the eggs of any females. They would otherwise be discarded - Quelle horror ! She makes caviar and has enough to generously gift. I make the buckwheat blini and and creme fraiche. I've never had better caviar. We love the local sturgeon season.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed May 07, 2008 10:05 am

Jenise wrote:A friend's husband has gone fishing for salmon on the Columbia. If the salmon fishing was slow, the plan was to try for sturgeon. Ron's fished for sturgeon before, but never got any in the qualifying 42"-60" limitation for a legal. I just got a call: "45 inches!" So we'll have sturgeon in a day or two. I've never prepared it. I believe I've only eaten it twice, both in restaurants. One was thin slices of smoked fish served with creme fraiche, caviar and a potato gallette, and the other was just a thick square lump of warm white baked fish in a starter course. The fish wasn't bad, but I didn't think it had any particularly appealing characteristics, either. It was just fish, the kind that's only as interesting as the sauce you bury it under.

Is that a typical sturgeon experience? Are there better methods for it?

I've cooked and served it for decades.

Anything that works for some of the firmer fleshed fish will work with sturgeon - sea bass etc.

I never found it to be a particularly distinguished fish myself, but it had fans in my restaurants.

Now, if you can get her to lay some eggs...
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Wed May 07, 2008 10:12 am

Even though spearing sturgeon through a hole in the ice is very popular on Lake Winnebago I've never had fresh sturgeon.

Can they even legally sell that to you?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed May 07, 2008 1:13 pm

Never bought the fish or the eggs. She just happens to know the fishermen that would throw the eggs away otherwise.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 07, 2008 3:20 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Anything that works for some of the firmer fleshed fish will work with sturgeon - sea bass etc.

I never found it to be a particularly distinguished fish myself, but it had fans in my restaurants.

Thanks. I'm a-thinking round one might be a good candidate for baking smothered in EVOO, garlic and parsley. Works great with halibut, and if you do it right it almost doesn't matter what kind of fish is under there.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Wed May 07, 2008 4:16 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm a-thinking round one might be a good candidate for baking smothered in EVOO, garlic and parsley. Works great with halibut, and if you do it right it almost doesn't matter what kind of fish is under there.

Another option.

Prosciutto-Roasted Halibut with Fresh Thyme

2 5-oz. halibut fillets
3 tsp. chopped fresh thyme, divided
4 thin slices prosciutto
2 tsp. olive oil
2 TB. chopped shallot
¼ cup dry white wine
1 TB. butter

Preheat oven to 400 deg. Sprinkle fish fillets with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1 tsp. thyme atop each fish fillet. Place 2 slices prosciutto on work surface, overlapping slightly. Place 1 fish fillet crosswise in center of prosciutto; fold prosciutto over fish fillet. Repeat with remaining prosciutto and fish fillet.

Heat oil in medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add prosciutto-wrapped fish, seam side down. Cook until prosciutto is brown on all sides, about 1 minute per side. Transfer skillet to oven and roast fish until cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer to plates.

Add shallot to same skillet; sauté over medium-high heat until beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Add wine and remaining 1 teaspoon thyme. Simmer until sauce is slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Whisk in butter. Drizzle over fish and serve.

Makes 2 servings.

- Bon Appetit – December 2005
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sun May 11, 2008 8:39 pm

I buy fresh sturgeon fillets almost everytime I see them in the fish shop. The flesh is fatty and has way more flavor than halibut. It takes well to dry heat, like roasting, but also pan cooking.

I have 3 concepts that I like.

1. Pumpkin seed crust. Season fillets with melted butter, season with S&P, and coat with a mix of ground pumpkin seeds, herbs and bread crumbs. Bake at 350 F until done.

2. Pan roast in foie gras fat. Season fillet, brown on stove top in melted foie fat, and finish in the oven. Serve with Red Burgundy. This is good with a morel topping.

3. Puree the flesh and turn into fish mousse or quenelles. Cook appropriately. Make a compatible sauce.
Regards,
Bernard Roth