Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Speaking of eggs...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Speaking of eggs...

by Dave R » Tue May 06, 2008 2:31 pm

Jeff’s report about receiving eggs directly from the farm got me thinking about storage. Why is it that in the U.S. we refrigerate our eggs but in many countries they just leave them out on the counter at room temperature? Someone in France told me that you only have to refrigerate an egg if at some time it had been refrigerated. Not sure if that is true or not.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Speaking of eggs...

by Jeff Grossman » Tue May 06, 2008 2:50 pm

Possibly because Americans ship eggs (and everything else) for hundreds of miles?
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue May 06, 2008 3:22 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Possibly because Americans ship eggs (and everything else) for hundreds of miles?

This isn't it. The natural shelf life of an egg is about 30 days (before it starts to float). I believe that eggs, like everything else, requires a freshness date to satisfy the feds. In addition, as Americans, we believe that a little refirgeration will naturlaly extend the shelf life of anything by a few days. Not to mention, the dairy association is probbly very happy with us throwing away eggs every 2 weeks. IMHO.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Wed May 07, 2008 7:48 pm

I'll cop to leaving eggs on my counter. We go through them relatively quickly and I do try to get farm fresh eggs. Sometimes I actually succeed. Friends who visit are shocked, I actually put them in the fridge and pretend that's where they ALWAYS live when my mother visits (trust me, that prevents so many stoopit conversations)...but...well, the only ones I toss are any cracked eggs, and hopefully I've done a good enough job at the store as I bought them that I don't have any cracked eggs (although I've been known to drop a bag of groceries on occasion...)

b