Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Grinding beef with bacon for burgers?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Grinding beef with bacon for burgers?

by Greg H » Wed May 07, 2008 11:14 am

I have been grinding beef for burgers at home. I have thought about adding bacon prior to the grind so that I generate a bacon burger, but without adding the strips at the end. I know I will lose the flavor associated with the browning of the bacon, but I could use a leaner cut of beef to reduce the overall fat content. Thoughts?

G
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Grinding beef with bacon for burgers?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed May 07, 2008 11:25 am

I love the crispness of the bacon when added to the finished burger on the bun. The textural contrast is somehow a huge part of the enjoyment of the combination for me.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 07, 2008 12:18 pm

Greg Hollis wrote:I have been grinding beef for burgers at home. I have thought about adding bacon prior to the grind so that I generate a bacon burger, but without adding the strips at the end. I know I will lose the flavor associated with the browning of the bacon, but I could use a leaner cut of beef to reduce the overall fat content. Thoughts?

G

Yes, if you must go this route, use a slightly leaner cut of beef; but to be honest, I'm with Cynthia. What you'll end up with this way will no doubt be delicious, but it will be a bacony burger and not neccessarily a bacon burger with both the loss of cooked flavor AND texture.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed May 07, 2008 2:43 pm

Piling on.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Wed May 07, 2008 3:46 pm

I agree with all of you. The reason I am even thinking about it is that it will allow me to control the fat content of the burger and how moist the cooked burger will be.

Probably just a bad idea.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu May 08, 2008 8:42 am

Greg Hollis wrote:I agree with all of you. The reason I am even thinking about it is that it will allow me to control the fat content of the burger and how moist the cooked burger will be.

You'd have something different than a regular bacon burger, but it might be good nonetheless. Only one way to find out.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu May 08, 2008 9:00 am

Actually, I had thought about using bacon ground up in a mix for meatballs of a different sort, cooked up and served with BBQ sauce as an alternative to the usual Italian or Swedish type meat balls.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu May 08, 2008 1:23 pm

Greg Hollis wrote:I agree with all of you. The reason I am even thinking about it is that it will allow me to control the fat content of the burger and how moist the cooked burger will be.

If you want a fattier burger without the beef fat, consider adding skim milk mozzarella.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu May 08, 2008 2:13 pm

How about... meatballs confit? Plunge them into hot duck fat for a couple days and then...

:D
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu May 08, 2008 8:09 pm

Oh my, you just gotta have that experience of biting into the burger. First the soft top side of the bun, then the crispy side of the bun, lettuce, fresh tomato, crisp bacon, medium rare burger, and start all over again with the other bun half.
I am trying to envision grinding greasy bacon with beef. Would the burger patty release all the fat into the grill and cause a flare up? I'm with Jenise, add the cheese. Yummy!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri May 09, 2008 12:18 am

I'm with Cynthia. The crisp, crunchy texture of the fried bacon is at least half of the delight of a bacon burger. I think it's more important than the bacon taste.

So I say no to grinding up raw bacon with the beef before cooking the burger.

You wouldn't grind in the cheese to make a cheeseburger, would you?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Fri May 09, 2008 10:23 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:I am trying to envision grinding greasy bacon with beef. Would the burger patty release all the fat into the grill and cause a flare up?

I am thinking about it differently. Normally I would grind chuck to make a patty with sufficient fat level to produce a juicy burger. In this case, maybe I would grind a less fatty cut of beef, like round, and then add fat back using bacon. The burger would not end up more greasy than a chuck burger, would not flare more than a chuck burger, but would have, for my taste, better flavor as I prefer the taste of bacon to the taste of beef fat.

This is just too easy and inexpensive not to try it. I'll let you know how it worked.

G
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Fri May 09, 2008 10:28 am

[quote="Paul Winalski"

You wouldn't grind in the cheese to make a cheeseburger, would you?

-Paul W.[/quote]

You are right, I wouldn't grind cheese with a burger, but I have made two thin pattys and placed the cheese on top of one, covered the cheese with the second patty and formed it into one burger. This works very well to make a cheezy and moist burger.

I have also had burgers done this way in a number of restaurants over the years and find it to be a nice alternative to putting the cheese on top. Too often, at least in restaurants I eat at, a standard burger comes too well done for my taste despite requests for a medium rare burger. Burgers done with cheese in the middle help keep it moist even if over cooked. I prefer it the standard way, with the cheese on top, but the cheese in the middle can make a good burger.

G
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri May 09, 2008 11:01 am

Personally, I'd rather have just a plain burger, with lettuce, tomatoe and onion - no bacon, no cheese, but I have had nice grilled burgers topped with blue cheese.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.