Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Asparagus

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

RCP: Asparagus

by Martin Barz » Thu May 08, 2008 4:46 am

Asparagus/Spargel season has started in Germany and I made my first white asparagus of the year. I make asparagus often quite puristic with butter/oliveoil and parmesan. Of course Asparagus with sauce hollandaise is also terrific........

Ingredients (serves 2):
1kg white asparagus
100g parmeggiano
olive-oil
1 tbsp butter

Note: add 1 tsp sugar to the salted-hot water

Preparation
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: RCP: Asparagus

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 08, 2008 10:08 am

I also like it with some freshly made mayo with a soupcon of Dijon mustard added.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu May 08, 2008 1:42 pm

Martin, I love white asparagus and wish it were more easily obtainable here. We see it, but it's not common place enough that one can go to the store planning to buy some. At least, here on the West Coast that's true. It's also rather spendy, so when I buy it I'll usually feature it as a starter course, typically with cold-smoked salmon (lox), or some kind of vinaigrette. Lately, I've been rather taken with lemon juice, sea salt and truffle oil all drizzled separately.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

by Martin Barz » Thu May 08, 2008 2:04 pm

Really Jenise, that is sad. It seems you have more green asparagus, isn´t it?!

BTW, a women from NYC told me that my pumpkinseed pesto with pasta was terrific and on Day 2 she added also green asparagus. Killer-match........

Take care,
Martin
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 08, 2008 3:21 pm

Martin Barz wrote:Really Jenise, that is sad. It seems you have more green asparagus, isn´t it?!

BTW, a women from NYC told me that my pumpkinseed pesto with pasta was terrific and on Day 2 she added also green asparagus. Killer-match........

Take care,
Martin

Yes, green asparagus is very common here, and in fact its wonderful right now--it's a local crop in my state. And in fact, it was a local crop at the house next door until the new owners ripped the plants out. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu May 08, 2008 4:05 pm

Jenise wrote:it's a local crop in my state. And in fact, it was a local crop at the house next door until the new owners ripped the plants out. :)

We have an asparagus bed! It's kind of a pain ... you can't harvest for several years after planting, and the season is short. But it's really worth it to have that wonderful fresh stuff for dinner three or four times every spring.

Do you have a Whole Foods anywhere near? Ours is very good about white asparagus in season, and fairly often have it out of season, although the food miles are probably frightening. ;)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 08, 2008 4:24 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Do you have a Whole Foods anywhere near? Ours is very good about white asparagus in season, and fairly often have it out of season, although the food miles are probably frightening. ;)

Naah. Seattle and Vancouver, down the street from Bill's house, are about it. I did recently discover that the remodeled/upgraded Safeway in the Dutch town of Lynden, about 18 miles east of me, now carries it and every time I've stopped there I've bought some just to make sure they don't get discouraged and stop carrying it!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu May 08, 2008 5:34 pm

Jenise wrote:Naah. Seattle and Vancouver, down the street from Bill's house, are about it.

Awww! Still, as your photos and stories make clear, your house has qualities that overcome this minor flaw. On the other hand, years ago, before Mary and I were together, I moved out of a wonderful apartment in a restored Victorian in the Old Louisville neighborhood because I had to drive about seven miles to the city's best foodie stores. ;)

I did recently discover that the remodeled/upgraded Safeway in the Dutch town of Lynden, about 18 miles east of me, now carries it and every time I've stopped there I've bought some just to make sure they don't get discouraged and stop carrying it!

I do that with lots of stores that carry offbeat items I like! Every single time I buy Green River natural steaks at a nice upscale grocer near us, I take pains to remind the meat guy how much we appreciate them carrying it.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat May 10, 2008 3:20 pm

Jenise wrote:Yes, green asparagus is very common here, and in fact its wonderful right now--it's a local crop in my state. And in fact, it was a local crop at the house next door until the new owners ripped the plants out. :)

I finally got around to taking a cellphone shot of (one of) our teeny asparagus beds. The ones you don't pick (apparently you have to leave a few so you'll have a crop next year) turn into ferns. They do not bear pink flowers, though. Those are roses in the background. ;)

asparagus.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.