Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Speaking of knives, what do you keep your knives in?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Speaking of knives, what do you keep your knives in?

by Jenise » Thu May 08, 2008 3:16 pm

I have a beautiful knife block made by a local wood artist, and successfully procured by my husband after I made a friend (Chris, who posts here sometimes) remind him how badly I wanted this, so when friends gifted me with a Koosh knife block the following year I was dismayed. I didn't want it; but I've had it now for about two years and don't know what I'd do without it. It enabled me to have a separate block for the dozen or so paring knife size knives I have (and couldn't live without, I can toss dirty knife after dirty knife in the sink and always have a fresh, clean one ready for the next task) and for which no knife block made ever has enough slots.

Here's the Koosh, if you've never seen one:

http://www.vat19.com/dvds/kapoosh-universal-knife-block-utensil-holder.cfm
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Speaking of knives, what do you keep your knives in?

by Christina Georgina » Thu May 08, 2008 4:48 pm

I use a large wooden block but I totally agree that they never have enough spaces . Like you, I have multiple paring knives - 6 currently - and they occupy the spots intended for steak knives. My husband has never understood why I need so many but they are all used every time I cook. It is somewhat due to the fact that some are better for certain jobs but more for the convenience-there is always one at the quick ready and at a convenient break I stop and wash what has accumulated - a continuous loop.
Have never see tne one you mention - can't quite understand how it works from the picture and description
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 08, 2008 5:06 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:I use a large wooden block but I totally agree that they never have enough spaces . Like you, I have multiple paring knives - 6 currently - and they occupy the spots intended for steak knives. My husband has never understood why I need so many but they are all used every time I cook. It is somewhat due to the fact that some are better for certain jobs but more for the convenience-there is always one at the quick ready and at a convenient break I stop and wash what has accumulated - a continuous loop.
Have never see tne one you mention - can't quite understand how it works from the picture and description

We're identical. I have six paring knives, one citrus knife, two tomato knives, and two to four cheap knives that were picked up for picnics here and there and ended up coming home. They get used too!

The koosh thing--it's a square wooden frame typical of a knife block shape packed full of skinny long black plastic (prolly polycarbonate) sticks. Wherever you stick the knife tip in, they part. When you remove it, they go back together. Like a pin cushion then, you can stick as many knives in there as handles will fit and anywhere you want. When they're all out, it looks like nothing was ever there. Is that more clear?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu May 08, 2008 5:30 pm

It looks cool all right, but is there any provision to take out the rods and clean them? Maybe I'm just being finicky, but I worry a little that even though I clean my knives carefully, water or, worse, bits of food, might get in there and eventually become funky.

We use a heavy, standard wooden block with slots for maybe 20 knives. Perhaps I'm knife-deficient, but that's more than enough for me, and I even have a couple of blank spaces. I only have two paring knives, for instance, and I think the only reason I keep them both is that they have slightly different shapes - one has a flat cutting edge, the other curved.

I'm almost afraid to ask you and Cristina why you have so many, for fear that I'll decide your reasoning is sound and then I'll want a bunch more, too. :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 08, 2008 5:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:It looks cool all right, but is there any provision to take out the rods and clean them? Maybe I'm just being finicky, but I worry a little that even though I clean my knives carefully, water or, worse, bits of food, might get in there and eventually become funky.

Yup, it's a large removable piece connected at the nether end and it goes right in the dishwasher, comes out like new.

I'm almost afraid to ask you and Cristina why you have so many, for fear that I'll decide your reasoning is sound and then I'll want a bunch more, too. :D

Slots available! Well, that won't do.

Actually, my reason is mostly that I have a hubby who buys me knives, and I'm sentimental. I have three bread knives, for instance, because I just won't throw out the two I don't like as well as the newest one, and one I use strictly for high-wear tasks like cutting artichokes. I have my early shorter chef's knives that Bob bought me before he understood that from a good cook's perspective, bigger is better. I honestly could reduce my collection to two chef's knives, a ham knife, a santoku or however that's spelled cleaver, a boning knife, a citrus knife, two tomato knives and every paring knife I now own but heck, now that I have two knife blocks, there's no need!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu May 08, 2008 6:02 pm

I only have about a half dozen paring knives of various styles. But I use them all, all the time too. My favorite is a Case with a tiny curved blade that my Dad gave me about 25 years ago, perfectly sized for my small hands.

However, because I have some nerve damage in my hands, I don't buy good knives. (The Case is the only decent knife I have!) I tend to drop them onto tile floors and snap the tips off, or not realize I've hit the pit of something, or... well, you get the idea. I just buy cheap, easily replaced knives, throw them in a drawer, and toss them when they get dull. :?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu May 08, 2008 6:15 pm

Jenise wrote:I honestly could reduce my collection to two chef's knives, a ham knife, a santoku or however that's spelled cleaver, a boning knife, a citrus knife, two tomato knives and every paring knife I now own

Actually, that's just about exactly what I've got!

This might make a good topic for ... well, not necessarily a poll, but a discussion about "How many knives do you have and what are they?"
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu May 08, 2008 7:05 pm

I use ye olde wood block. I think it's from Henckel.

Knives in it: 8" chef (two), 6" chef, paring (two), tomato knife, bread knife, ham knife, cleaver, steel, shears.

I keep two scut knives in a drawer, one straight, one serrated.

In my little kitchen, all the other knives must be declassified into "miscellaneous" and live in a drawer. :D
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu May 08, 2008 7:30 pm

I stick 'em in the wall, and decorate with bloodstains. That intimidates dinner guests and ensures effusive compliments on the cooking.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu May 08, 2008 7:43 pm

Here is where mine live.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu May 08, 2008 8:29 pm

Have about 18 in my Wusthof knife Case.

Wusthof2.jpg

95% of the time I use one - Wusthof 10" Chef's knife Classic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu May 08, 2008 8:37 pm

Hey, I want your set? Beautiful! Is that only available to chefs?
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu May 08, 2008 8:46 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Hey, I want your set? Beautiful! Is that only available to chefs?

Nah, *nothing* is available only to chefs. :D You can buy it.

Just do a search for the Wusthof Attache Case. (hard case.)
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Thu May 08, 2008 9:09 pm

Jenise,

For my everyday go-to knives I have two Kapoosh blocks that I love because they hold any size or weight of knife precisely where one places the knife. And no matter how gruffly I have rammed a knife into the rod bed I have never split a rod. Robin's concern about anything getting funky has never applied to my use because I thoroughly wash and dry my knives before I store them in the Kapoosh or the knife drawer. Can't foresee a reason why I would ever need to remove and wash the rod bed.

When I moved into this home, I found that there was an extra, somewhat shallow drawer in the kitchen so I lined it with cork and put in wood partitions to hold my knives that are not used so frequently.

The Kapoosh has been so great that I have even purchased several for friends and family. They all love them.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Thu May 08, 2008 10:36 pm

The Kapoosh is cool. Mine live like Karen's==in a block that is in a drawer. I'm like others--I use a chef's knife (a smaller one; I've got littel hands..) almost exclusively..and when I don't use that one, I use the big one.

My college son is selling Cutco knives this summer...He wishes I'd need a whole new set, but I've got a full set of Wusthof--the only thing I really need is a new paring knife because someone used it to PRY something. I cannot stand that the tip is not straight...

b
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu May 08, 2008 11:03 pm

Barb Freda wrote:My college son is selling Cutco knives this summer...

Cutco (owned by Alcas) is headquartered in a small town in the southern tier of New York called Olean, about an hour from my hometown. I used to teach over there and drove past the place all the time. From what I've heard from people who own their knives and from people who work for them, they really stand behind the products.

I hope he'll make some decent money.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Thu May 08, 2008 11:17 pm

I think they ARE good knives, but I don't like the whole home sales angle...I am keeping my mouth shut and hoping he proves my doubts unfounded!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 08, 2008 11:23 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I stick 'em in the wall, and decorate with bloodstains. That intimidates dinner guests and ensures effusive compliments on the cooking.

I heard about the blood, but I'm just sure I was told it was the blood of virgins. Maybe the story changes depending on the audience? :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 08, 2008 11:26 pm

Barb Freda wrote:My college son is selling Cutco knives this summer...He wishes I'd need a whole new set, but I've got a full set of Wusthof--the only thing I really need is a new paring knife because someone used it to PRY something. I cannot stand that the tip is not straight...

b

Not to rain on your parade, but everybody I know who has Cutco knives bought them from a relative. Like you, I have misgivings about home sales of anything--these days most people won't let strangers in, for one.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri May 09, 2008 12:06 am

My prized Chinese cleavers are just placed in a drawer. Nothing special. They don't seem to mind.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri May 09, 2008 12:13 am

My knives reside in the usual wooden block, too. Like Robin, I am a minimalist when it comes to knives: 10" Chef's, 8" Chef's, paring and serrated bread knife (which doesn't fit in the block). Closely related, I have a pair of kitchen shears in that block, which I use more than the paring knife, truth be told. The 10" Chef's knife is the workhorse.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri May 09, 2008 12:15 am

Cutco *gave* me knives for my students. They didn't like them. Nor did I.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri May 09, 2008 12:19 am

"Ham" knife? C'mon folks!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri May 09, 2008 12:25 am

Jenise wrote:[I heard about the blood, but I'm just sure I was told it was the blood of virgins. Maybe the story changes depending on the audience? :)

Jenise, given Stuart's ethics regarding causing culinary harm to organisms with nervous systems capable of feeling, the closest he's going to come to sacrificing virgins is virgin olive oil.

Now, I never tell my guests about the step pyramid in the basement where we sacrifice pointy-haired bosses on the equinox and solstice. It isn't cannibalism--we don't consider them human. :twisted:

-Paul W.
Next