Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Speaking of knives, what do you keep your knives in?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Speaking of knives, what do you keep your knives in?

by Jeff Grossman » Fri May 09, 2008 12:26 am

A long, thin, straight-edged slicer. Good for use on hams. And other things. What's yer problem, bud? :wink:
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri May 09, 2008 12:32 am

Cantankerousness in general. No other problems of which I am aware.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri May 09, 2008 12:35 am

I don't know why in the hell I like Dilbert so much. I've spent very few hours of my life in that corporate environment.

True, I despised every moment. :D
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri May 09, 2008 1:13 am

I live the Dilbert life. :shock: Our workplace routinely takes direct hits from Scott Adams's cartoons.

We love it. It helps make it bearable.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri May 09, 2008 4:08 am

This is my knife block and set.

Made by Furi, an Australian company, and all stainless steel. I like them.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Fri May 09, 2008 9:38 am

I have a block of the Cutco that was a wedding gift from a relative that rarely gets used. I have another larger (20+) wood block full of miscelaneous knives bought before I realized that I really only use my 10" chefs(Wusthof). If it is not in the block for some reason I usually grap either the 8" Sabatier or the 12" Icel. It is rare that any of the other knives get used.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri May 09, 2008 9:43 am

ChefJCarey wrote:"Ham" knife? C'mon folks!

And may I ask why you ridicule this?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri May 09, 2008 9:59 am

Mine are on a magnetic strip on the wall next to the stove. There's enough room for three chef's knives, one bread knife, one pairing knife, a pair of scissors, and a couple of corkscrews. Very important stuff, easily accessible.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri May 09, 2008 11:54 am

I had the magnetic strip in my old apartment, but there is really no wall space in my current one. The strip is nice because it saves counter space.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri May 09, 2008 12:10 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:"Ham" knife? C'mon folks!

What does this mean? I have a ham knife. It is a Wustof slicing knife. When I bought it the salesperson called it a ham knife saying that is what most people use it for. I have not used it at all and wonder why I even bought it. It is very long and slender and seems unsafe.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri May 09, 2008 12:15 pm

celia wrote:This is my knife block and set.

Celia, they are beautiful. What do you use the first knife on the bottom left for? There is one by Global that I have been looking for that looks similar to that.
That display must really impress your guests!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri May 09, 2008 12:22 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
What does this mean? I have a ham knife. It is a Wustof slicing knife. When I bought it the salesperson called it a ham knife saying that is what most people use it for.

Nothing, it's just Joseph trying to prove that everyone here but him is an amateur. In fact, Joseph has one in his attache, so there. It's a slicing knife, sometimes called a ham knife because it's flexibility makes it ideal for cutting thin slices from whole, dried hams like Spanish jamon serrano and Smithfield type country hams. No Catalan kitchen would be without one! It's a great slicer, especially for slicing laterally, and often excels at slicing jobs my other knives don't like--mine is fantastic for slicing cheese, better even than the made-for-purpose cheese knife I have. Which is, I believe, a Wusthof.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri May 09, 2008 12:40 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I use ye olde wood block. I think it's from Henckel.

Knives in it: 8" chef (two), 6" chef, paring (two), tomato knife, bread knife, ham knife, cleaver, steel, shears.

I'm with Jeff on this one. Been looking around for another system though.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri May 09, 2008 1:02 pm

Jenise wrote:It's a great slicer, especially for slicing laterally, and often excels at slicing jobs my other knives don't like--mine is fantastic for slicing cheese, better even than the made-for-purpose cheese knife I have. Which is, I believe, a Wusthof.

It works well on smoked salmon. It's useful for carving turkey because you can maneuver around the bones easily. It's useful on a bread with a very tender crumb; it won't rip and tear like a serrated edge.

It is the one knife in my collection, though, that is not by a famous maker. It was my Mom's and I think the package said something like Rochester Steelworks or Rochester Knifeworks, or Rochester something.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri May 09, 2008 1:03 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:

Knives in it: 8" chef (two), 6" chef, paring (two), tomato knife, bread knife, ham knife, cleaver, steel, shears.

I'm curious why? Like everybody else, apparently, if it isn't a special purpose, I basically reach for 1 or 2 of these knives and the rest just sit there.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri May 09, 2008 1:44 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:

I'm curious why? Like everybody else, apparently, if it isn't a special purpose, I basically reach for 1 or 2 of these knives and the rest just sit there.

For me, the Henckel block and set was a gift about 20 years ago. I use about 4 of these knives. 2 of them are chef knives (always my knife of choice). I don't have nor would I use a ham knife (what is that?). a bead knife is absolutely necessary, and paring knives (I like to have 2) can't be replaced for the fine work that I do with vegetables and fruit. I keep the others because I will sometimes have help in the kitchen, and I give my culinary guests my lesser knives to use.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

David P.G.

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:54 pm

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

by David P.G. » Fri May 09, 2008 2:42 pm

I've got limited counter space, so I have a small 6 knife block with an Ikea magnet bar holding the 4 biggest knives.

Nobody has mentioned this yet, but do you keep your knives edge-up in your block? I've gotten into this habit and surely it's saved wear and tear on the knives and the block itself.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Fri May 09, 2008 3:18 pm

celia wrote:This is my knife block and set.

Great looking knives, *C*. Do you also have the sharpener? The one that looks like fingers? I've always wondered how to use it and how well it works.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri May 09, 2008 4:09 pm

We keep ours in one of those blocks made from several types of colorful wood. Has slots for 2 chef's knives, a cleaver, a few slicer/bread/tomato knives and some paring knives. More than we need. My wife's not crazy about it because of the impossibility of cleaning the slots, but I don't see that as a major issue (the knives don't go in unless they're clean).

Strange coincidence: I bought the thing about twenty years ago at a place in Davis. About three years ago, a couple we'd recently met came to supper, the woman took one look at it, and said, "Oh you got that at the Artery in Davis. My brother made it."

If my wife has her way, we'll get one of those magnetic strips.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri May 09, 2008 4:34 pm

Nothing, it's just Joseph trying to prove that everyone here but him is an amateur. In fact, Joseph has one in his attache, so there. It's a slicing knife, sometimes called a ham knife because it's flexibility makes it ideal for cutting thin slices from whole, dried hams like Spanish jamon serrano and Smithfield type country hams. No Catalan kitchen would be without one! It's a great slicer, especially for slicing laterally, and often excels at slicing jobs my other knives don't like--mine is fantastic for slicing cheese, better even than the made-for-purpose cheese knife I have. Which is, I believe, a Wusthof.

Jenise, thanks for the info on your slicer. I will just have to use mine. I think the "wibble, wobble" nature of the knife is new to me....
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Fri May 09, 2008 6:31 pm

I hate blocks because the wood dulls the edge when inserted or removed from the block. I like to put a magnet on the wall and hold the knives there. No dulling and easy access. Funny, I like my sex the same way.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri May 09, 2008 6:47 pm

Robert J. wrote:I hate blocks because the wood dulls the edge when inserted or removed from the block. I like to put a magnet on the wall and hold the knives there. No dulling and easy access. Funny, I like my sex the same way.

rwj

TMI, Robert!! :oops:
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri May 09, 2008 7:23 pm

Robert J. wrote:I hate blocks because the wood dulls the edge when inserted or removed from the block. I like to put a magnet on the wall and hold the knives there. No dulling and easy access. Funny, I like my sex the same way.

rwj

Doesn't the magnet hurt? :shock:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Fri May 09, 2008 8:27 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:

rwj

Doesn't the magnet hurt? :shock:

It does pull on my piercings a bit. :shock:
PreviousNext