Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Speaking of knives, what do you keep your knives in?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Re: Speaking of knives, what do you keep your knives in?

by Celia » Fri May 09, 2008 9:00 pm

Karen, I use the little curved knife to open parcels - it seems perfect for slicing through the packaging tape that online stores like Amazon use. :) As I bought the set as a kit, I didn't choose the knives, but the first knife is called a Bird's Beak Peeling knife (which I find quite charming, actually).

We added a scalloped Santoku knife to complete the set.

Dave, the sharpener does a good job at keeping the knives in good condition. I actually have the complete gizmo, the one that comes with the knife block is just to hone the blades, but the complete sharpener puts the edge back on them as well, I believe. There's some info about it here.

Are they the best knives in the world ? Hardly. But I love them because they have a lovely feel to them, they were a great buy (the whole set was about $200), they're hygenic (all-in-one carbon-stainless steel alloy), and best of all (for me, at least), they were designed in Australia by an Australian-owned company.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri May 09, 2008 10:45 pm

Opening packaging, eh. I was thinking today of just what I peel to justify buying the knife, just because I think it is pretty, (is that a girlie thing or what) and determined that about the only thing I peel are potatoes and maybe once a year. I have a nifty peeler for carrots, cukes, potatoes, etc. and could not come up with anything I peel with a knife. So...since I have a boy scout knife, with all the gadgets for doing a myriad of things in my kitchen....I'd best not buy the pretty knife. Isn't is awful to get wise? No more fun decisions without much thought! That is really an outstanding set you have.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri May 09, 2008 11:10 pm

Thank you ! You know, I look at that little knife, and I keep thinking that I'd take the top of my finger off with it or something. It is very cute, but with my hand eye co-ordination, probably dangerous. My husband uses it occasionally to peel fruit, so it's not completely wasted. I use all the other knives in the block - the small one for slicing apples and small veges, the serrated utility knife for slashing the top of my bread dough, the carving fork and knife for roasts, the boning knife for filleting, the bread knife for bread (obviously), and the East West and the Chef's knife for everyday prep. It's been a good buy, and they ARE nice knives, despite the fact that both Rachel Ray and Nigella Lawson use them.

;)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sun May 11, 2008 8:40 pm

I keep my best knives either on a magnetic strip or in a generic knife block.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
Previous