Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Dinner Thank You Notes?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Do you send formal written Thank You notes after being a dinner guest?

Yes, always
33%
No, never
29%
It depends on my relationship with the hosts and/or the occasion/setting
38%

Total votes : 21
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Dinner Thank You Notes?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu May 08, 2008 6:29 pm

I was discussing this with someone at my workplace today. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I sent a formal written thank you note for a dinner. But I tend not to accept invitations to dinner parties in homes extended by people I am not already very comfortable with. And most formal dinners I attend in restaurants are work-related and I am usually the hostess for those. So I guess it just never comes up.

How about you?
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: Dinner Thank You Notes?

by Maria Samms » Thu May 08, 2008 6:48 pm

Cynthia,

I voted yes. I am the kinda person who writes thank yous for everything. The only time I don't write a thank you is if it's a casual BBQ and I am expected to bring food (and then I always bring a host gift and gifts for the children as well) so I kinda feel like that's a "pre-thank-you" LOL!

Ya know Cynthia...I don't get to do that many things these days with little ones, so I think that I am really, really thankful when I do get to do something...LOL!!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu May 08, 2008 7:53 pm

Sometimes. Particularly if I'm dining with people the generation above, who consider it appropriate. Rarely with peers. But I never ever arrive empty-handed - my mother would shoot me !
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu May 08, 2008 8:41 pm

celia wrote:Sometimes. Particularly if I'm dining with people the generation above, who consider it appropriate. Rarely with peers. But I never ever arrive empty-handed - my mother would shoot me !

Everything she said.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu May 08, 2008 9:01 pm

I usually write a novel by way of thank you. X-rated if I really enjoyed the meal.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu May 08, 2008 9:13 pm

celia wrote: But I never ever arrive empty-handed - my mother would shoot me !

I am right there with you! I hate it when I ask what I can bring and they say "just yourself!" I take something anyway, even if it's flowers or wine or something they can use for a different meal.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri May 09, 2008 12:02 am

If I've dined with very close friends (the most usual case for me), a note is unnecessary. I'll thank them profusely in person. Or if we're real close, the thank you is implicit and doesn 't need to be stated in writing.

Otherwise, yes, I send a note of thanks.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri May 09, 2008 8:33 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:How about you?

In this day and age, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Email. I'm pretty much over the formal note thing (with the possible exception of the older generation, a cohort whose ranks are thinning). But a quick Email note seems both convenient and appropriate.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri May 09, 2008 9:50 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Everything she said.

Ditto. So I checked "It depends" but the truth is "almost never".
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri May 09, 2008 9:52 am

Jenise wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Everything she said.

Ditto. So I checked "It depends" but the truth "almost never". It's not neccessary among people who are like one's extended family and who reciprocate often in kind. If we get a new invitation from someone we haven't dined with before, or if I want to reassure a particularly nervous hostess, I will usually call a day or so later. But write? Rarely.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 09, 2008 10:01 am

I do e-mail almost all of the time. I have penned notes to a few folks (boss, older folks who expect it).

If it's a co-worker I instead make sure I go to see them at work & thank them again. The last thing they need is more e-mail. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri May 09, 2008 12:32 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Cynthia Wenslow wrote:How about you?

In this day and age, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Email. I'm pretty much over the formal note thing (with the possible exception of the older generation, a cohort whose ranks are thinning). But a quick Email note seems both convenient and appropriate.

I thought about email, Robin. Then I thought about it and realized that email is not something I will do for a thank you. But, I have sent e-cards. I subscribe to 2 services, and will often whip off an e-card note, if nothing else. But, this is far less formal and, if I am hanging out the shingle with someone new, someone older than I, or someone necessary to impress -- always handwritten.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri May 09, 2008 1:07 pm

In fact, Robin, in this email age of utter informality, I view it as a gesture of the friendship to send a physical card. Unequivocal 'yes'.
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Netherlands

by Bonnie in Holland » Fri May 09, 2008 2:09 pm

When I lived in the US, i thanked folks in person. But since living here, and developing a more old world sensibility, I now make sure that I thank the host additionally via post or via email. Especially for my British friends, this is important. cheers, Bonnie
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Fri May 09, 2008 3:50 pm

My decision to send a note following a dinner is dependant upon how bad my behavior was or if I broke anything during the course of the evening.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri May 09, 2008 4:46 pm

No, because the people we have for dinner are either neighbors or close friends. I always take a gift for the hostess and thank them as we are leaving. Usually, I send an email a couple of days later telling them how nice the evening was and that we really enjoyed ourselves.

If we are overnight guests in someone's home and we have dinner, I always send a written note upon arriving back home.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri May 09, 2008 4:55 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:In fact, Robin, in this email age of utter informality, I view it as a gesture of the friendship to send a physical card. Unequivocal 'yes'.

ITA.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri May 09, 2008 5:02 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I thought about email, Robin. Then I thought about it and realized that email is not something I will do for a thank you. But, I have sent e-cards. I subscribe to 2 services, and will often whip off an e-card note, if nothing else. But, this is far less formal and, if I am hanging out the shingle with someone new, someone older than I, or someone necessary to impress -- always handwritten.

Jo Ann, would you PM me with the info regarding the e-card subscriptions? Thank you.
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Fri May 09, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri May 09, 2008 5:10 pm

I will absolutely never open an e-card email. Much too dangerous.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri May 09, 2008 5:12 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I will absolutely never open an e-card email. Much too dangerous.

Just for the record, I was not advocating an E-card in my defense of Email for social niceties. Just a personal note.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri May 09, 2008 6:52 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I will absolutely never open an e-card email. Much too dangerous.

The services I subscribe to tell you that "Jo Henderson has sent you and e-card....". They are not supposed to spam you when you open them. No one who has received one from me has indicated so. Just an FYI.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat May 10, 2008 7:52 am

I'm with Jeff Grossman - and besides, believe it or not, there are some people out there who, even in this day and age, check their email infrequently. ( I can't stand people like that, but they do exist :D )

I keep a stack of thank you cards in my desk - it takes less than five minutes to fire one off, and I think it's still a nice touch. And no, I'm not OLD.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat May 10, 2008 4:34 pm

John Tomasso wrote:And no, I'm not OLD.

Really ? See, you just can't pick people online...

:P
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat May 10, 2008 9:36 pm

celia wrote:
John Tomasso wrote:And no, I'm not OLD.

Really ? See, you just can't pick people online...

:P

"C" I too am not old "yet" but I am getting there! :-) My granddaughter had her 8th B-Day party today, and I got a hug, just for coming! :-)
Bob Henrick
Next