Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Global Knives

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Global Knives

by Karen/NoCA » Thu May 08, 2008 7:54 pm

I love the look of this brand. I have seen chefs using a paring sort of knife but it is curved up wards. During a search for it last year I discovered it is not available in the USA. I saw Giada using it today. Does anyone have this brand of knives and how do you like them?
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

Re: Global Knives

by Barb Freda » Thu May 08, 2008 10:29 pm

Karen, a quick google search shows them available on Amazon...
They are pretty.

B
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

by Martin Barz » Fri May 09, 2008 10:54 am

Terrific knives! I use them since over 15 years and love the design, sharpness and the fact that they are such light. I have very small
hands for a man, so they are perfect. A lot of female cooks use them for this reason.
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri May 09, 2008 10:59 am

Two of my cooking friends have the entire line-up and love them. I use them when cooking at their homes and really enjoy them, too. Love the bread knife. Can't tell you what's so special, it just is. Bought one for myself!
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Fri May 09, 2008 3:43 pm

I got what they call the 5" utility knife years ago. I think it was on sale as kind of a gateway knife. For me it did not have the desire impact. It did not make me want to run out and get any more. It is nice and light and I do like the balance. However, I have found that if I use if for a long time the handle becomes less comfortable the longer I use it. Also, I have had problems keeping and edge on mine and it seems harder to sharpen than my other knives (Wusthof, Sabatier).
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri May 09, 2008 5:09 pm

We have a decent range of them and I like them. Oddly The brains of the operation and I have different preferences and she tends to (out of preference) go for a couple of knives I don't use at all.

Price-wise, I doubt they are great value, but if you can pick a few up in a sale there's value IMO.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster