Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Great stuff: Undiluted fruit juices

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Great stuff: Undiluted fruit juices

by Paul B. » Fri May 09, 2008 11:38 am

Anyone here like the undiluted, 100% concentrated juices that are typically available at health food stores? I bought some yesterday - 500 mls of pure-pressed blackcurrant juice - for $5.99. It's way too sour to drink straight ... but I made a cup of Assam tea last night and added some of the juice to the tea, then added about a teaspoon of clover honey - what a lovely drink.

I can see such juices having many applications in a creative kitchen. Anyone else like them?
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Great stuff: Undiluted fruit juices

by Dave R » Fri May 09, 2008 3:43 pm

I'm a fan as well. I purchase them at the organic grocery store. I have not seen blackcurrant at this store but the raspberry juice is incredible. It's a shame that in most "juices" these days the first ingredient on the ingredient list is high fructose corn syrup.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri May 09, 2008 3:58 pm

You know, Dave, I sure wish I could find a strawberry concentrate ... I think that if I added some of that to some smoky Lapsang Souchong tea, I'd have a fine substitute for Pinotage on those no-wine nights! :D
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri May 09, 2008 7:18 pm

I really like Lifetime Organic 4 blend Juice which contains, Noni, Mangosteen, Goji and Ace juices. It is a concentrated mix and suggested to drink about 2 oz. per day.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sat May 10, 2008 11:43 am

Paul B. wrote:You know, Dave, I sure wish I could find a strawberry concentrate ... I think that if I added some of that to some smoky Lapsang Souchong tea, I'd have a fine substitute for Pinotage on those no-wine nights! :D

Paul,

You could try finding a strawberry concentrate at a brewing supply store. I know many carry cherry concentrate so maybe one has a strawberry concentrate as well?

Or you could do the reasonable thing and just rid your life of those "no-wine nights". :)
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.