Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Mr. Kelly's Jerk Chicken

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

RCP: Mr. Kelly's Jerk Chicken

by Mark Lipton » Fri May 09, 2008 11:56 am

With the arrival of nominally warm weather in these parts, thoughts once more turn to grilling. Few dishes have as much traction in our household as this one, a years-long effort to approximate the incredible Jamaican jerk chicken prepared by an older Jamaican gent, Mr. Kelly, at the long-gone Carmen & Family Jamaican BBQ in Berkeley. It uses a thick, very spicy jerk paste that is placed under the skin and in incisions made along the bones of a whole chicken, which is then smoked using (ideally) mesquite wood.

Note: this is a recipe for devoted chile-heads. The food produced is seriously hot and many people will find it too hot for their enjoyment

Jerk Paste
2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp ground cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp ground allspice
1 Tbsp ground black pepper
2 Tbsp minced onion
4 Tbsp minced garlic
4 Tbsp fresh sage
2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
5-6 habanero peppers
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp dark Chinese soy sauce
4-6 Tbsp fresh lime juice

Combine the dry ingredients. Place the fresh ingredients and liquids into a food processor and grind into a paste. Stir the paste into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly to a dark brown, thick paste with a pungent, aromatic odor. This recipe makes approximately one cup of paste, sufficient for one whole broiling chicken. Using a long, thin knife, make incisions parallel to the leg and breast bones. Put paste into those incisions and under the skin of the breast, thighs and legs. Smoke in indirect heat for 1-2 hours, until a meat thermometer in the thick part of the thigh reads 175° F. Serve hot, with rice, vegetables of choice and a cool drink. Alas, this dish is more suited for beer or mixed drinks than wine :cry:

Substitutions: dried herbs can be used in place of the fresh ones with suitable adjustment of volume (factor of 6). Other chile peppers can be used in place of the habaneros, but only Scotch bonnet or red Savina have the same flavor (capsicum Chinense, not c. annum). If you haven't got access to them, substitute a Caribbean-type hot sauce (e.g. Melinda's XXX) that contains the requisite peppers. Adjust amount to taste. If this version is too hot for you, you can always cut down on the number of fresh peppers used.

We're making this tonight, so I'll try to get pictures to add.

Mark Lipton
We
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: RCP: Mr. Kelly's Jerk Chicken

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri May 09, 2008 2:35 pm

Note: this is a recipe for devoted chile-heads. The food produced is seriously hot and many people will find it too hot for their enjoyment

You aren't kidding! A tablespoon of cayenne and 5 or 6 habaneros would probably be a bit much for a chile-wuss like me. Sounds pretty tasty, though, and I can see making this with a somewhat lower capsaicin content.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri May 09, 2008 2:53 pm

I could eat that. :D
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri May 09, 2008 3:15 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Using a long, thin knife, make incisions parallel to the leg and breast bones. Put paste into those incisions and under the skin of the breast, thighs and legs.

We have a Senegalese restaurant here that does exactly this, only using a different blend of spices that's aromatic but not fiery. It hadn't occurred to me until now, but it seems likely that Jamaican jerk would have its antecedents in Africa.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri May 09, 2008 7:19 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I could eat that. :D

I'd LOVE to eat that! Gail would be mad at me for a week if i made it that hot for her, though. :evil:
Last edited by Robert Reynolds on Fri May 09, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri May 09, 2008 9:37 pm

Actually, in my experience with doing Jerk Chicken, a lot of the hotness dissipates during the long, slow cooking. Capsaicin is pretty volatile.

I'm looking forward to trying out this rub. Thanks for posting the recipe!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat May 10, 2008 12:32 am

Paul Winalski wrote:Actually, in my experience with doing Jerk Chicken, a lot of the hotness dissipates during the long, slow cooking. Capsaicin is pretty volatile.

I'm looking forward to trying out this rub. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Capsaicin's not really volatile: it boils at 220°C (428°F). And I can't say that I've found the heat to dissipate in those dishes I make. I hope you enjoy the recipe, Paul!

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon May 12, 2008 11:57 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:Using a long, thin knife, make incisions parallel to the leg and breast bones. Put paste into those incisions and under the skin of the breast, thighs and legs.

We have a Senegalese restaurant here that does exactly this, only using a different blend of spices that's aromatic but not fiery. It hadn't occurred to me until now, but it seems likely that Jamaican jerk would have its antecedents in Africa.

I would bet that you're right, Robin. Part of the history of jerk meats is the need for pirates and other travelers in the Caribbean to salt and smoke meats for preservation. Some enterprising residents, it seems, adapted this idea by adding herbs and spices to make the meats more palatable, and thus was born an iconic dish. I have few doubts that West African cooking had its influence on the choice of seasonings and even perhaps in the method of preparation.

Mark Lipton