Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

It might be swill to you...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

It might be swill to you...

by Larry Greenly » Sat May 10, 2008 9:56 am

but I got a eye-poppin' deal on a case of Meridian 2005 cab sav. The liquor manager at a grocery store near me is very aggressive in arm-twisting liquor wholesalers and obtaining discount coupons. Final price: after sale price, neck coupon discount and case discount? About $1.29/bottle.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: It might be swill to you...

by Jenise » Sat May 10, 2008 10:21 am

Larry Greenly wrote:but I got a eye-poppin' deal on a case of Meridian 2005 cab sav. The liquor manager at a grocery store near me is very aggressive in arm-twisting liquor wholesalers and obtaining discount coupons. Final price: after sale price, neck coupon discount and case discount? About $1.29/bottle.

Not swill at all. Why did you buy only a case? Why didn't you back up the truck????? (Btw, forumite Duane J is one of the winemakers at Meridien.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat May 10, 2008 1:04 pm

Jenise wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:but I got a eye-poppin' deal on a case of Meridian 2005 cab sav. The liquor manager at a grocery store near me is very aggressive in arm-twisting liquor wholesalers and obtaining discount coupons. Final price: after sale price, neck coupon discount and case discount? About $1.29/bottle.

Not swill at all. Why did you buy only a case? Why didn't you back up the truck????? (Btw, forumite Duane J is one of the winemakers at Meridien.)

But I >sob< left about a half dozen bottles for my friend.... That grocery store continually rotates a number of name brands in the range of $1.99 to 3.99 (before case discount), such as Barefoot, Alice White, Beringer, Woodbridge, Lindemann's, Bohemia Highway, Penguin, Yellow Tail, Blackstone, Fetzer, et al.
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Sat May 10, 2008 2:24 pm

Jenise wrote: (Btw, forumite Duane J is one of the winemakers at Meridien.)

I only wish I was a winemaker at Meridian but I'm just a Wine Chemist.

Larry thanks for liking our wine.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that is not what ships were made for.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat May 10, 2008 5:44 pm

Is Signe still there?

My big bargain was Fusee Syrah, a screw-cap brand from Don Sebastiani & Sons. $10 a case, blown out the back door of their warehouse.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun May 11, 2008 1:12 am

Notice how Larry very carefully avoids naming the store so others cannot go scoop up all the deals....... :wink:
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun May 11, 2008 1:56 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote: blown out the back door of their warehouse.

Izzat like "fell off the truck"? :twisted:

Carlo Gambino
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun May 11, 2008 8:00 am

No, more like, "Whoops, that didn't work, let's get this crap out of here and start a new brand!"
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun May 11, 2008 10:05 am

Duane J wrote:
Jenise wrote: (Btw, forumite Duane J is one of the winemakers at Meridien.)

I only wish I was a winemaker at Meridian but I'm just a Wine Chemist.

Larry thanks for liking our wine.

Still, it sounds like a cool job. My wine-drinking bud and I really like Meridian. It's one of our faves.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun May 11, 2008 10:07 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Notice how Larry very carefully avoids naming the store so others cannot go scoop up all the deals....... :wink:

I'm no fool. 8)
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Sun May 11, 2008 1:23 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Is Signe still there?

She is in the area but no longer with Meridian. She has her own consulting business now. http://www.zollerwinestyling.com/ We see her from time to time because her clients use our Templeton facility to make their wine.

@Larry yes I think I have a cool job. Maybe one of these days I'll get to be part of the winemaking department. Thanks again for drinking Meridian. I hear we have a new label coming out soon. I wonder what it is going to look like this time? :roll:
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sun May 11, 2008 8:44 pm

I would not call it swill, but I have no capacity to drink such a wine. I have enough wine that is much better to fill my alcohol quotient, so even if it were free, I would not drink it. However, it makes a nice gift and can be cooked down when you want to use a bottle of wine in a wine sauce. You could also donate it to a charity event.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon May 12, 2008 7:02 am

Would you happen to have some Grey Poupon?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon May 12, 2008 9:58 am

Bernard Roth wrote:I would not call it swill, but I have no capacity to drink such a wine. I have enough wine that is much better to fill my alcohol quotient, so even if it were free, I would not drink it. However, it makes a nice gift and can be cooked down when you want to use a bottle of wine in a wine sauce. You could also donate it to a charity event.

You know, you're right. I must have had a temporary case of the vapors for me to stoop so low and buy some Meridian. Normally, nothing but passes my lips but Dom. Romane Conti or Chateau Petrus and, occasionally, something as plebian as Chateau Mouton Rothschild Pauillac.

I would not donate wine that might offend someone, so I'll put what I bought out on the curb today for garbage collection and hope the landfill will accept it. :wink:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon May 12, 2008 11:40 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Would you happen to have some Grey Poupon?

It's far too declassé. <snif>
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon May 12, 2008 12:20 pm

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon May 12, 2008 12:52 pm

This talk about mustard reminds me that mustard ice cream season is upon us!
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon May 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_pGT8Q_tjk

Am I not correct in the impression that Grey Poupon is made in New Jersey in industrial quantities by Kraft-General Foods? How can they call that stuff "Dijon"?
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon May 12, 2008 2:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Am I not correct in the impression that Grey Poupon is made in New Jersey in industrial quantities by Kraft-General Foods? How can they call that stuff "Dijon"?

Yeah, I think this better captures the spirit of that product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwaKixMW ... re=related

I buy my Maille in nine pound cans.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon May 12, 2008 3:26 pm

I just hated it when Rolls/Bentley switched to those dual headlights! Vowed right then and there I'd never buy one.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon May 12, 2008 5:31 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Oxnard, CA, according to the jar I have here. I used to live near that plant; it looked like an oil refinery.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue May 13, 2008 2:34 pm

Yesterday I bought some more wine to donate to the landfill (to save the world from swill, one bottle at a time). This time it was Fetzer at a similar price to the Meridian.

But get this, I told my friend about the sale and did he luck out. The coupons hanging around the wine necks said something about a $10 refund, but they were supposed to just bring the price down to $1.99/bottle.

My checker told me that I wasn't getting $10 off per bottle, but I would be getting the $1.99 price, before case discount. My friend, however, had checked out with a young, inexperienced clerk and, after all the discounts, etc., he wound up getting paid $3.70 for each bottle of wine he bought. How can we ever fight alcoholism if stores pay you to drink? I'm jealous. :|

BTW, I picked up a couple of 1 liter bottles of Tres Alegres Compadres 100% blue agave reposada tequila for $10.99 (with a neck coupon) at the same store. I don't know if I'll pour them down the toilet, but the price sure beats even the run-of-the mill Jose Cuervo.
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Tue May 20, 2008 1:15 am

I saw the new Meridian label today and I like it. The lable is a blend of something like our current label and the older more classy one. Look for it starting in September thru December depending on where you are in the country.

If anyone ever wants to come and visit our tasting room drop me a PM and I'll see if I can do something special for you.