Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Who has read "The Omnivore's Dilemma"?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Who has read "The Omnivore's Dilemma"?

by John F » Sun May 11, 2008 7:57 pm

I read half of it this weekend and already I'm not sure I like "food" as much as I used to.

Would be interested in the views of others.

I know he wrote and additional book called "In Defense of Food" or something to that effect - which is no surprise after this one
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Who has read "The Omnivore's Dilemma"?

by Karen/NoCA » Sun May 11, 2008 8:16 pm

Michael Pollan's book is beautifully written and the way he grabs you in to the world of food.....

Corn, grass, the forest, three simple things....so complex. I read it twice, as I could not absorb all that I read the first time. For a while I wanted to find a piece of ground and just grow veggies and fruits, for us....seeds that no one else had touched, or plantings that only my hands had touched. It did not last long....perhaps it should have, as now I have the book in my hands again. A great read!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun May 11, 2008 8:19 pm

I'm about half way through it. While it will likely not change too much about how I eat, it is interesting.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun May 11, 2008 8:32 pm

Loved it. I feel that it gives good insight as to how the food industry works, no matter your preference of diet or style of eating.

Even though this book did not change the way I eat (I did that on my own) it does make me think more about where my food is coming from. This allows me to make a better educated decision about what I choose to eat and when.

rwj
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon May 12, 2008 12:00 am

I've read it. I was greatly impressed with Michael Pollan's earlier book, "The Botany of Desire" (one of my favorite nonfiction books of the last 5 years or so with Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs and Steel") and so snatched up "Omnivore's Dilemma" shortly after release. It's well written and generally quite thoughtful. He probably takes Polyface Farms's claims a bit too uncritically, but it's still a revealing piece of journalism with a great conceit for a premise. I haven't picked up "In Defense of Food" (yet) because, frankly, I expect fewer surprises in there.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon May 12, 2008 12:23 am

I liked it more than I thought I would. I was expecting a preachy tome, but it wasn't that at all. I thought Pollan did a masterful job in his discussion of the corn industry, and how pervasive corn has become in our diets.
I was spellbound by the story of his hunting trip, in all its gory detail.

While I can't say it will change the way I eat in any significant way, it has had a subtle effect on some buying decisions. For example, I used to buy vanilla flavored, low fat yogurt to eat as a snack. After reading the book, I realized it was sweeteened with high fructose corn syrup, so now I buy plain yogurt and sweeten and flavor it myself, with agave syrup and vanilla extract.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"