Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: smoked salmon crepe

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

RCP: smoked salmon crepe

by Howard » Sun May 11, 2008 9:57 pm

Another title might be fun with food. My job has become a real job requiring loads of time commuting. So I have a lot of time to think about food but not much time to cook or spend with my virtual friends on WLDG. :( Every Mother's day I set up a brunch for my wife and whichever of our friends and relatives happen to be around. It usually consists of fruit, couple of cheeses, smoked salmon, bagels, cream cheese. Sometimes I make a dessert sometimes like today, I make raspberry sorbet. We always have some kind of bubbly and just sort of eat and drink our way through the day. One day on my commute I came up with this sort of inside out approach to the usual slice of bagel with cream cheese, onion, tomato and smoked salmon. I liked it and will make it again for brunch sometime.

Crepe:
2 cups flour
2 cups milk
4 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup melted butter

Sauce:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cup milk - heated to just before boiling
1/8 - 1/4 tsp nutmeg
4 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
salt to taste

Stuffing:
Smoked salmon chunks - shredded with a fork
4 fresh roma tomatoes (don't know why you couldn't use canned) - peeled, seeded, strain and reserve the juice. chop the tomatoes.
2 medium sweet onions
basil
I would have used dill if I had some
1 cup white wine
olive oil or butter

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Make the crepes: (this volume makes about 24 crepes)
add the flour, milk, eggs, salt and melted butter to a blender and blend for a minute or so. Then scrape it down and blend for another minute. Make your crepes and separate them with wax paper.

Make the stuffing:
Chop the onions and saute in the olive oil or butter for 10 minutes or so on medium. Add the wine and cook until most of it is evaporated. Add your herbs and cook until fragrant (about a minute or two). Add the tomatoes and the strained juice cover and cook for 30 minutes or so on low. Take the cover off and cook until almost dry. Don't burn it.

Add the smoked salmon and the onions/tomatoes/herbs to the crepes. Form and put into a buttered baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 20 minutes. The house picks up that smoked salmon aroma and it drives every hungry person wild.

While the crepes are baking, make the sauce:
Heat the butter, add the flour, cook for 5 or 10 minutes on medium heat until it's real smooth. Whisk in the heated milk and mix until thickened. Add the cheese and nutmeg. Adjust salt.

To serve: Plate two crepes and 2 tblspoons sauce for each.
Howard