Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Corroding Reynolds Wrap

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Corroding Reynolds Wrap

by Karen/NoCA » Mon May 12, 2008 7:49 pm

Another food site I visit had a post today about Reynolds Wrap corroding on top of food it is placed over. One poster from Hawaii said it has been happing for a long time. Others are just beginning to notice it. I have not seen any of this in my kitchen...have you?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Corroding Reynolds Wrap

by Paul Winalski » Mon May 12, 2008 8:36 pm

I've seen this very often when I've kept food in aluminum foil wrap (Reyonlds brand is not alone in this) overlong. I've taken to using Stretch-Tite (tm) plastic cling wrap to avoid this problem.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon May 12, 2008 9:16 pm

Yes, I've seen this for years. Not only does it happen when I store something, sometimes it will happen when I cook something, especially if it has acide in the recipe like lemon or vinegar. I always attributed it to the acide content. It's not?
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon May 12, 2008 9:27 pm

It is. Acidity will eat right through the stuff.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon May 12, 2008 9:33 pm

Yeah you don't want to do casual food wrapping in foil. Plastic wrap is the way to go.

I use foil for blue veined cheeses.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon May 12, 2008 10:38 pm

Ok, after reading your posts, I wonder why in my part of the country, I have not seen this nor heard from any of my foodie friends about it? I find this strange. Have any of you with the problem contacted Reynolds?
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon May 12, 2008 10:56 pm

I have noticed this effect, and learned years ago not to use aluminum foil for anything acidic.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon May 12, 2008 11:49 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Ok, after reading your posts, I wonder why in my part of the country, I have not seen this nor heard from any of my foodie friends about it? I find this strange. Have any of you with the problem contacted Reynolds?

What do you expect Reynolds to do, Karen? The problem is the aluminum from which the foil is made. They could switch to an unreactive and non-toxic metal, I suppose, but gold foil would cost a trifle more, I expect :P Alternatively, they could market an aluminum foil that has been coated with a polymer, but that again would substantially increase the price (and be much more prone to damage)

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue May 13, 2008 8:39 am

This is, of course the same thing I talk about all the time when I teach classes.

Do *not* use acids in a cast aluminum pan. Unless it's lined.

Most restaurants use cast aluminum on the cooking line. (They're cheap.) You can see the pitting in the pans after just a few deglazes with wine or citrus or even tomato products.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue May 13, 2008 11:18 am

Mark Lipton wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:Ok, after reading your posts, I wonder why in my part of the country, I have not seen this nor heard from any of my foodie friends about it? I find this strange. Have any of you with the problem contacted Reynolds?

What do you expect Reynolds to do, Karen? The problem is the aluminum from which the foil is made. They could switch to an unreactive and non-toxic metal, I suppose, but gold foil would cost a trifle more, I expect :P Alternatively, they could market an aluminum foil that has been coated with a polymer, but that again would substantially increase the price (and be much more prone to damage)

Mark Lipton

I don't expect Reynolds to do anything Mark, because as I posted - I have not had this trouble nor even heard of it until yesterday on another site. Since I do not store food in this product, but only use it as a "lid" so to speak for casserole dishes and occasionally wrapping a turkey after Thanksgiving, or a roast. Perhaps the folks who are having trouble with it are using it in a way it was not intended to be used. So when I suggested that those who have had trouble, to call Reynolds, it was with the idea that Reynolds may be able to offer suggestions for proper usage.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue May 13, 2008 1:00 pm

I have never noticed any corrosion. But the climate I live in is quite different than the continous warm, humid climate of Hawaii.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 13, 2008 1:21 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Yeah you don't want to do casual food wrapping in foil. Plastic wrap is the way to go.

This is interesting. Why specifically blue-veined where, I suppose, you would use plastic for other cheeses?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue May 13, 2008 2:00 pm

Karen, I wrote Reynolds about this issue some time ago. I knew "Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil is 98.5% aluminum. The balance is primarily iron and silicon. These are added to give the strength and puncture resistance obtained only in the alloy used in Reynolds household foil."

My hypothesis was that the black pinholes were reactions between the iron and various food chemicals, especially acids -- a sort of rust. Reynolds disagreed; here's their reply:

Dear Robert:

Thank you for letting us know of your recent experience with Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil used to cover your food. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced.

The problem that you described appears to be the result of a reaction between the food and the aluminum foil.

On very rare occasions aluminum foil may form small pinholes when in contact with salt, vinegar, highly acidic or spiced foods. Contact with dissimilar metals like sterling silver or silver-plated trays, stainless steel or iron utensils can also cause this reaction.

This may occur with any brand or weight of foil and does not affect the safety of the food. The product of either of these reactions is a harmless, nontoxic aluminum salt that can be safely consumed. Some aluminum salts are used to compound medicines for the treatment of stomach disorders. The food can be safety eaten; however, the aluminum salt particles can be removed to improve appearance.

We hope this information will be helpful to you in your future use of aluminum foil. I have mailed a complimentary coupon to you for your inconvenience.

Please let us know if we can be of future assistance.

Jim, Reynolds Consumer Response
ContactUs@reynoldskitchens.com
Ref # 871949

PS: bitching about consumer goods almost always results in getting free samples of the product as happened here. I discovered that factoid back in my college years when I complained about two large tablets: "the damn things just wouldn't fizz". Their reply:

"The enclosed non-fizzing 'capsules' are not Alka Selzer but have been inserted into the bottle to prevent the capsules from breaking during transportation. Customers very rarely confused the inserts for capsules.

"We apologize for any inconvenience, and hope you will give our product another chance with the enclosed samples."

My file of bitch letters is now over a 1000 missives, with almost a 100% sample rate. Some of the fun has evaporated over the years; I discovered most consumer companies will send a free sample if all you do is ask for one.

Bob
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 13, 2008 2:14 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Karen, I wrote Reynolds about this issue some time ago.

Hey, Bob, welcome back!
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue May 13, 2008 2:21 pm

Bob Ross wrote: I discovered that factoid back in my college years when I complained about two large tablets: "the damn things just wouldn't fizz". Their reply:

"The enclosed non-fizzing 'capsules' are not Alka Selzer but have been inserted into the bottle to prevent the capsules from breaking during transportation. Customers very rarely confused the inserts for capsules.

That is laugh out loud funny, Robert!!
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue May 13, 2008 4:30 pm

Jenise wrote:
ChefJCarey wrote:Yeah you don't want to do casual food wrapping in foil. Plastic wrap is the way to go.

This is interesting. Why specifically blue-veined where, I suppose, you would use plastic for other cheeses?

Plastic will "suffocate" the good mold in blue-veined cheeses - and, frequently, allow other, more virulent strains,which may have been picked up along the way to flourish. Foil lets it breathe.

Yeah, plastic is fine for most other types of cheese, as is parchment paper.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 13, 2008 4:32 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Plastic will "suffocate" the good mold in blue-veined cheeses - and, frequently, allow other, more virulent strains,which may have been picked up along the way to flourish. Foil lets it breathe.

I use foil for several jobs where a little breathing is a plus, but hadn't understood that about blue cheeses. Cool, I do that from now on. Thanks!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue May 13, 2008 5:20 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:
Plastic will "suffocate" the good mold in blue-veined cheeses - and, frequently, allow other, more virulent strains,which may have been picked up along the way to flourish. Foil lets it breathe.

Foil breathes??? That seems unlikely to me, Chef. Perhaps it's just that it doesn't easily seal tightly, so there's always a little space for air exchange? Paper works for me when storing cheese (and not in the fridge).

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue May 13, 2008 5:21 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:So when I suggested that those who have had trouble, to call Reynolds, it was with the idea that Reynolds may be able to offer suggestions for proper usage.

Gotcha, Karen. Sorry for being confused, but I thought that you were suggesting that there was a (fixable) problem with their product.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue May 13, 2008 5:28 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
ChefJCarey wrote:

Foil breathes??? That seems unlikely to me, Chef. Perhaps it's just that it doesn't easily seal tightly, so there's always a little space for air exchange? Paper works for me when storing cheese (and not in the fridge).

Mark Lipton

Precisely. Store some blue-veined cheese in foil for a month beside some wrapped in plastic wrap.

Open both. I think you will be very surprised at what you see.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue May 13, 2008 5:29 pm

Also, let me know the next time you buy a blue-veined cheese that doesn't come wrapped in foil.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue May 13, 2008 5:56 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Also, let me know the next time you buy a blue-veined cheese that doesn't come wrapped in foil.

That would mean I'd have to email you every time I buy blue cheese.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue May 13, 2008 7:50 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:This is, of course the same thing I talk about all the time when I teach classes.

Do *not* use acids in a cast aluminum pan. Unless it's lined.

Most restaurants use cast aluminum on the cooking line. (They're cheap.) You can see the pitting in the pans after just a few deglazes with wine or citrus or even tomato products.

Besides which, that aluminum that corrodes from the acid ends up in the food you consume, and aluminum in the diet is not at all good for the body or mind.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue May 13, 2008 7:54 pm

Years ago I made some fruitcakes which I soaked with brandy and wrapped in foil. Most of the foil dissolved.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε