Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Soup or Salad

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Soup or Salad

by Dave R » Tue May 13, 2008 2:43 pm

So, you are dining out and the server says to you, "That comes with either our homemade soup or house salad". Which do you usually pick and why?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: Soup or Salad

by Maria Samms » Tue May 13, 2008 3:16 pm

Almost always Salad. I like soup a lot, but I love salad. And salad is usually less filling for me. I am always in the mood for a cool crisp salad, but only like hot soup once in a while. You should make this a poll Dave :) .
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Tue May 13, 2008 3:26 pm

It depends on the soup or salad. If it's something I like for example clam chowder or potato & sausage soup (I forget the name right off) from an Italian place, I'll get that. I'm not much of a salad person, but I like Caesar salads so that's usually my salad choice if available.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue May 13, 2008 3:33 pm

Salad. Restaurant soups are toxic to me. :mrgreen:

To be honest, I don't remember the last time I was in a restaurant that asked that question.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue May 13, 2008 3:53 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:...To be honest, I don't remember the last time I was in a restaurant that asked that question.
I was in one Sunday. I chose the salad, but it usually depends on the soup.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 13, 2008 5:45 pm

Always salad. Soup for me is a main course item, as in soup AND salad. But like Stuart, I don't frequent the kind of restaurant that offers you that choice. The only one in this town that I've been to in the five years that I've lived here, and that's because other people have taken us there, offers an even worse choice: soup or salad bar. Don't get me started on salad bars.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 13, 2008 6:22 pm

Dave R wrote:So, you are dining out and the server says to you, "That comes with either our homemade soup or house salad". Which do you usually pick and why?

It's surprising, considering that I review restaurants at pretty much all levels of price and class, but like some others, I rarely hear this question. When I do, though, I don't have a knee-jerk response either way. It depends on my mood, what else I'm having, what kind of soup and what kind of salad ...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 13, 2008 6:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote: When I do, though, I don't have a knee-jerk response either way. It depends on my mood, what else I'm having, what kind of soup and what kind of salad ...

This always suprises me to hear. Soup seems so filling, as Maria said, but even more, it's too satiating on the sensory level. It doesn't enhance my appetite for what's coming next the way the tart and tangy flavors of a fresh salad do.

Maybe it's a girl/guy thing. When we're out with other couples and this option presents itself, invariably the guys get soups while the girls get salads.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue May 13, 2008 7:28 pm

Always salad. Soup is a main meal for me and fills me up. If I order soup for lunch, I also order a small salad to go with it.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue May 13, 2008 7:42 pm

Usually salad. Like the others here, I find soup to be too filling to start off with and would rather have it as a main course.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue May 13, 2008 7:45 pm

Jenise wrote:...It doesn't enhance my appetite for what's coming next the way the tart and tangy flavors of a fresh salad do...
Nothing sets me up for boiled Maine lobster like a small bowl of New England Clam chowder. 8)
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue May 13, 2008 7:52 pm

Not often asked this either.

I adore soup in all weather and seasons, but only really good homemade soups. Far too often the "homemade" in a restaurant is not, and even if it is, will 100% of the time have way more sodium than I am allowed to have. So I get salads (which have their own sodium perils in dressings).

At work, where we have the lovely Della (The Soup Goddess), I have soup for lunch nearly every day.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 13, 2008 9:09 pm

Jenise wrote:Soup seems so filling, as Maria said, but even more, it's too satiating on the sensory level. It doesn't enhance my appetite for what's coming next the way the tart and tangy flavors of a fresh salad do.

Interesting. It just doesn't seem that clear-cut to me. First, I'm assuming that the soup-or-salad first course will be only a cup, not a big bowl. And then, again, a lot depends on the soup. Something rich and hearty, I'd probably pass on. But a light chicken soup, or miso? Not so heavy. And as I said, I'm not an all-soup guy. There's a 50-50 chance that I'll go the salad route.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue May 13, 2008 9:45 pm

I'm in the "usually salad but on rare occasions soup" crowd, primarily because the typical soup in places I frequent is overloaded with sodium and/or fat. Of course, I've gotta learn to resist the blue cheese dressing for the salad... :?
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue May 13, 2008 11:09 pm

I doubt that option will be proffered in a really good restaurant.

But, should it be, trust the chef to know all the things you have been saying and have a soup which will not overwhelm the main course. My students understood that after two weeks in class.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed May 14, 2008 12:14 am

If the soup appeals, I'll take it. But the default option is salad.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Wed May 14, 2008 10:33 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Dave R wrote:So, you are dining out and the server says to you, "That comes with either our homemade soup or house salad". Which do you usually pick and why?

It's surprising, considering that I review restaurants at pretty much all levels of price and class, but like some others, I rarely hear this question.

Hello Robin,

Yep, in most restaurants these days food is offered a la carte. It is a more profitable business model. Fortunately, my favorite local restaurant is run by a rather old school family that offers a basket of grains, a choice of soup or salad, a choice of vegetable and a choice of potato all included in the flat price of a grade Prime steak that is actually priced lower than the inferior steaks alone at the "upscale" chain steakhouses.
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed May 14, 2008 12:19 pm

Dave R wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

It's surprising, considering that I review restaurants at pretty much all levels of price and class, but like some others, I rarely hear this question.

Hello Robin,

Yep, in most restaurants these days food is offered a la carte. It is a more profitable business model. Fortunately, my favorite local restaurant is run by a rather old school family that offers a basket of grains, a choice of soup or salad, a choice of vegetable and a choice of potato all included in the flat price of a grade Prime steak that is actually priced lower than the inferior steaks alone at the "upscale" chain steakhouses.

Can you make the reservations?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 14, 2008 12:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jenise wrote:Soup seems so filling, as Maria said, but even more, it's too satiating on the sensory level. It doesn't enhance my appetite for what's coming next the way the tart and tangy flavors of a fresh salad do.

Interesting. It just doesn't seem that clear-cut to me. First, I'm assuming that the soup-or-salad first course will be only a cup, not a big bowl. And then, again, a lot depends on the soup. Something rich and hearty, I'd probably pass on. But a light chicken soup, or miso? Not so heavy. And as I said, I'm not an all-soup guy. There's a 50-50 chance that I'll go the salad route.

Light chicken or miso are not the usual options in this circumstance. Lessee: last two times I had the soup or salad option, because the salad was a white and creamy caesar IIRC, I did choose the soup, which was a beef goulash. Heavy thick tomato base with lumps of beef in it. Light? Not! And at the other restaurant (same one where the salad bar is the alternative), it was a creamy Whiskey Crab soup. Again, not light but meal-like, where even a cup is too satiating, and both are typical of the soup options I run across. Options, I suspect, designed for men who think that salad is sissy food.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed May 14, 2008 2:35 pm

And here's the perfect beverage for that light salad.

diet-water.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed May 14, 2008 4:15 pm

Salad here also…though Dina invariably has some kind of soup. Like others, I find soup too filling for that purpose.

If I’m having soup though, I’d rather have it with a hunk of crusty bread and glass of wine as the main meal.

Richard
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Thu May 15, 2008 12:46 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
Jenise wrote:...It doesn't enhance my appetite for what's coming next the way the tart and tangy flavors of a fresh salad do...
Nothing sets me up for boiled Maine lobster like a small bowl of New England Clam chowder. 8)

Couldn't have said it better myself. Always salad unless I'm in New England. :wink: The only other time is in the winter, one of our favorite restaurants offers a wild mushroom bisque that I can't resist.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu May 15, 2008 3:42 pm

I'm usually pretty skeptical of soups in restaurants, because they seem like a perfect vehicle to dump all the unused items, puree, and then cover with some sort of cream/spice/assertive flavoring agent.

I also don't like the idea of something that is sitting around in big vats/pots waiting to be dished out.

These fears are not absolutes of course, I've ordered soups many times in restaurants. But, just a general tendency..
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri May 16, 2008 1:46 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I'm usually pretty skeptical of soups in restaurants, because they seem like a perfect vehicle to dump all the unused items, puree, and then cover with some sort of cream/spice/assertive flavoring agent.

I also don't like the idea of something that is sitting around in big vats/pots waiting to be dished out.

These fears are not absolutes of course, I've ordered soups many times in restaurants. But, just a general tendency..

My major complaint about soup in restaurants is that it's often too salted for my tastes. As we cook at home most nights and use salt judiciously in our cooking (i.e., not heavy-handed), it's pretty evident when a restaurant overdoes it with salt, and nowhere is it more evident than in soups. I also find that, because portion sizes have crept steadily upward in restaurants over the last 20 years, I try to order light courses like salads to complement the main course.

Mark Lipton
Next