Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Look at this recipe....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Look at this recipe....

by Karen/NoCA » Thu May 15, 2008 7:31 pm

With our temps going into triple digit, this recipe looked great. Throw a nice garden salad together and you have an easy meal. My questions are: How does 6 drumsticks and 2 baking potatoes feed eight people?
Also, the recipe calls for using the marinade to baste the chicken while on the grill? No mention of boiling down the marinade to kill whatever the raw chicken may have left in it.

Does it make you wonder if anyone proof reads anymore?

Grilled Beer Chicken with Potato Slabs
Silvana Nardone
From Every Day with Rachael Ray
June-July 2008

SERVES 8
Prep Time: 10 min (plus marinating)
Cook Time: 30 min

One 12-ounce can or bottle beer, at room temperature
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt, plus more for sprinkling
6 chicken drumsticks (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 baking potatoes
Olive oil, for drizzling
Lime wedges, for serving

1. In a resealable plastic bag, combine the beer, butter, garlic, chili powder, brown sugar and salt. Add the drumsticks, seal the bag and let marinate while you proceed.
2. Preheat a grill or grill pan to high. Microwave the potatoes on high until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Slice the potatoes lengthwise about 1/4-inch thick. Drizzle both sides generously with olive oil.
3. Transfer the chicken and potatoes to the grill. Grill the drumsticks, brushing with the beer marinade and turning occasionally, until the skin is golden and crisp and the juices run clear, 20 to 25 minutes Meanwhile, grill the potatoes until grill marks appear, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle with salt. Serve the chicken and potatoes with the lime wedges.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Look at this recipe....

by Paul Winalski » Thu May 15, 2008 10:15 pm

It's obvious--the six carnivores get one drumstick each, and the two vegetarians have the potatoes.

Then they all die of food poisoning from the warm chicken marinade, so you don't have to worry anyway. :twisted:

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu May 15, 2008 10:59 pm

CUTE!
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Thu May 15, 2008 11:18 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote: How does 6 drumsticks and 2 baking potatoes feed eight people?

Easy, if one of the guests is Jesus. :D
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri May 16, 2008 1:01 am

Too bad Rachel started teaching cooking before she learned how to cook.

Why the hell would a person even LOOK at something she cooked?
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Fri May 16, 2008 8:38 am

I quite agree that the amounts or the number of servings must be incorrect, but just because a recipe is in her magazine, it doesn't mean she wrote it. The one in question happens to be by the editor, Silvana Nardone. I'm sure someone will call that to their attention.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri May 16, 2008 1:24 pm

She did not cook it, it was sent in from a viewer....still no reason for it to be poorly written.

Chef, I have tried many of Rach's recipes. The ones I've tried were excellent. She uses lots of veggies in her dishes for both color and health. Her flavors are bold, which we like. As with any chef/cook's recipes, one has to read them to determine if it is worth trying. Since I 've been cooking for 52 years, I am pretty good at selecting the recipes that will be great. I did make the recipe in question last night and it was very good. The chicken had great flavor and Gene learned how to cook plank potatoes on the grill, which came out perfectly. It really is a great meal for a hot spring day.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 18, 2008 12:19 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:She did not cook it, it was sent in from a viewer....still no reason for it to be poorly written.

Totally agreed; and the magazine has her name on it, so the buck stops there.

Pretty funny recipe, gave me a chuckle. Not much marinating time though--I realize any recipe in a Rachel rag is optimized for time and not neccessarily flavor--but if you followed the instructions exactly, could you taste the beer?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun May 18, 2008 12:46 pm

I marinated it all day and no, I could not taste the beer. Yes it is a funny recipe and one I won't make again because I have so many other killer marinades. I just liked the idea of the potato planks. I had never done that on the grill. I was dubious about nuking the potatoes, slicing and cooking on the grill because I thought they would fall apart. Not so, and the grill marks were nice.
Actually Gene does the grilling and because of his purchase a few years ago of a huge stainless steel grill/rotisserie/unit with one burner for pans, I make sure he uses it. I'm introducing new foods and methods for him all the time. He does great! :D
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun May 18, 2008 2:27 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I marinated it all day and no, I could not taste the beer. Yes it is a funny recipe and one I won't make again because I have so many other killer marinades. I just liked the idea of the potato planks. I had never done that on the grill. I was dubious about nuking the potatoes, slicing and cooking on the grill because I thought they would fall apart. Not so, and the grill marks were nice.
Actually Gene does the grilling and because of his purchase a few years ago of a huge stainless steel grill/rotisserie/unit with one burner for pans, I make sure he uses it. I'm introducing new foods and methods for him all the time. He does great! :D

Why not reserve a 1/2 cup of the marinade for the basting without exposing it to the raw chicken?

Also, I think that the beer is there for tenderizing and moisturizing purposes rather than flavor. The carbonation should provide both.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 18, 2008 2:41 pm

Robert J. wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:I marinated it all day and no, I could not taste the beer. Yes it is a funny recipe and one I won't make again because I have so many other killer marinades. I just liked the idea of the potato planks. I had never done that on the grill. I was dubious about nuking the potatoes, slicing and cooking on the grill because I thought they would fall apart. Not so, and the grill marks were nice.

Why not reserve a 1/2 cup of the marinade for the basting without exposing it to the raw chicken?

Also, I think that the beer is there for tenderizing and moisturizing purposes rather than flavor. The carbonation should provide both.

rwj

Carbonation is a very effective tenderizer. But since in this recipe the chicken didn't spend much time in the marinade, I figured the flavor was the goal.

Btw, I use marinades as finishing sauces all the time, but I bring them to a boil to sterilize them before further use or reduction.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun May 18, 2008 9:39 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Too bad Rachel started teaching cooking before she learned how to cook.

Chef, if she did her show naked, I would watch it, otherwise I "AIN'T!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon May 19, 2008 10:36 am

ChefJCarey wrote:Too bad Rachel started teaching cooking before she learned how to cook.

Well, she must have something going for her, given the amount of time she has been popular, her morning TV show is very successful , as are her cookbooks.

Not every chef/cook is the sophisticated, suave, sensitive person you are Chef. She appeals to a different age and sector of the population. Also, she lays no claim to being a chef. She is proud of the fact that she learned to cook next to her mom and grandpa, much like so many of us did.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon May 19, 2008 11:53 am

I've never tried a Rachel Ray recipe. The first three times I saw her I thought she was cute. But, she quickly got on my nerve with that stacking trick she did. And, later I realized it was a collection of little things that got on my nerve. I could never understand why Olive Oil got shortened to EVOO (it doesn't take any less time to say it), and how a sandwich got shortened to a sammie (she has a penchant for being nick-namy). Then it hit me that what was most bothersome about her is that her whole show (at that time it was only 30 minute meals) sounded as if she was teaching a bunch of grade schoolers how to cook; and she was giggly like a middle schooler. Since then, I really don't pay her much attention. I simply believe I, and all the people I care enough about to cook for, are worthy of more than 30 minutes of time in the kitchen.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon May 19, 2008 2:34 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote: I could never understand why Olive Oil got shortened to EVOO (it doesn't take any less time to say it), and how a sandwich got shortened to a sammie (she has a penchant for being nick-namy).

You'll know the answer to this when Rachel's line of frozen microwave-ready "Sammies" becomes available at a convenience store near you.

:wink:
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon May 19, 2008 2:54 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I've never tried a Rachel Ray recipe. The first three times I saw her I thought she was cute. But, she quickly got on my nerve with that stacking trick she did. And, later I realized it was a collection of little things that got on my nerve. I could never understand why Olive Oil got shortened to EVOO (it doesn't take any less time to say it), and how a sandwich got shortened to a sammie (she has a penchant for being nick-namy). Then it hit me that what was most bothersome about her is that her whole show (at that time it was only 30 minute meals) sounded as if she was teaching a bunch of grade schoolers how to cook; and she was giggly like a middle schooler. Since then, I really don't pay her much attention. I simply believe I, and all the people I care enough about to cook for, are worthy of more than 30 minutes of time in the kitchen.

Good on you Jo Ann! Her cooking just does not lite my fire. Now Chef Joesph wrote a whole book about the stuff....fire that is.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon May 19, 2008 4:24 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:

Well, she must have something going for her, given the amount of time she has been popular, her morning TV show is very successful , as are her cookbooks.

Not every chef/cook is the sophisticated, suave, sensitive person you are Chef. She appeals to a different age and sector of the population. Also, she lays no claim to being a chef. She is proud of the fact that she learned to cook next to her mom and grandpa, much like so many of us did.

I hardly know what to say. She has some of the same things going for her that many of the folks who make a living on television have. She is not ugly. She is bubbly. She never challenges anyone or anything. And , by god people like her.

She has a shtick - the 30-minute meal thing. That's it.

I wish everybody had in fact been brought up hanging out in the kitchen with their grandmothers and grandfathers teaching them how to cook. Many of them really could cook.

Then people would not sucker for this typical American television pap and smarm.

I'd rather be in the kitchen with Dinah strummin' on the old banjo.

In the immortal words of Alexander King, I'd also rather "...be lashed to a cot with a belching, gonorrheal, Eskimo prostitute who has been eating walrus blintzes," than watch her.

I think she is just about the worst thing that could happen to people who want to learn how to cook.

I'm sorry if I seemed to mince words here.

(Edited to remove an excremental "s" from the italicized "like.")
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon May 19, 2008 4:34 pm

Chef,

I am not a RR fan, but would you be willing to admit that maybe she has motivated someone that would otherwise have gone to McDonald’s for dinner to instead go to the grocery store and then make dinner at home? That seems like a step in the right direction to me.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon May 19, 2008 5:46 pm

Dave, I was looking for a way to say the same thing. Well said.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon May 19, 2008 6:09 pm

Maybe.

Oh, and I left out cutesy. I don't do cutesy very well.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon May 19, 2008 7:40 pm

I don't dislike RR, I just find some of her schtick a little annoying. Personally, I believe that once you're old enough to get botox (you can tell by the exaggerated high arch to the eyebrows and the shiny forehead that is no longer expressive -- I'm pretty sure Rachel has it), it's probably time to show a little more sophistication in your language and everything else that goes along with laught lines and drooping utters. Sammies! Come on, now. We have enough problems with our kids talking and writing in text speak. Let's try to be part of the solution.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue May 20, 2008 7:27 am

I find Rachel Ray somewhat entertaining, at least more interesting than a lot of the other shows of Food Network. Doing a complete meal in 30 minutes can be a challenge and she does it in a variety of ways. Here's a link to the only recipe of hers I ever actually used and I was very pleased with it: http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?t=5244
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue May 20, 2008 8:48 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote: I could never understand why Olive Oil got shortened to EVOO (it doesn't take any less time to say it),

EVOO has been a restaurant slang abbreviation for as long as I can remember. And that is MUCH longer than RR has been around.

rwj