Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Fettucini in morel sauce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

RCP: Fettucini in morel sauce

by Mark Lipton » Fri May 16, 2008 1:40 pm

Our favorite local grocery had a tail-end supply of morels this week, so Jean took advantage of the situation and brought home a big bag of them. Hating to see a good ingredient go to waste (I much prefer them to go to waist), I whipped up the following dish:

Morel sauce
1 very large shallot, minced
2 dozen smallish morels, cut lengthwise
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup shredded parmigiano reggiano

In a sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat, add the shallots and cook until soft. Add in the morels and continue cooking over medium heat with frequent stirring until they're soft. Add in broth and half-and-half and turn up heat to high. Reduce to less than a half cup of liquid, turn off the heat and stir in the cheese. Season to taste with black pepper and salt (if needed).

Cook 2 cups of fetuccini, drain and add directly to the pan containing the sauce. Serve immediately. This dish to me fairly cries out to me for red Burgundy, so a bottle of 2002 Jean Grivot Vosne-Romanee which, alas, was a bit lacking in the earthy, mushroomy elements that I'd hoped to find but was nonetheless a pleasant complement to the dish.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Fettucini in morel sauce

by Jenise » Fri May 16, 2008 6:00 pm

Oh my, does that sound GOOD! I so envy you getting those morels. I've never been able to buy them fresh. You must come over tonight and make it for me. You can bring Jean. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri May 16, 2008 9:27 pm

Sounds great.

Lucky you..

So there was too much 'fruit' in the Burgundy?
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Fri May 16, 2008 9:43 pm

I sometimes like to incorporate a small amount of tomato paste into the saute pan before deglazing with white wine, reducing and then adding the stock and cream. Occasionally I speed the process by using demiglace instead of stock.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat May 17, 2008 12:00 am

Rahsaan wrote:Sounds great.

Lucky you..

So there was too much 'fruit' in the Burgundy?

Just too foursquare and blocky. Nothing wrong per se, but nothing that really harmonized with the dish the way I'd hoped it might (of course, I didn't dip in to my few remaining '88 Volnays, so I wasn't betting the house). If you'd told me that this was a Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir, I would have expressed my delight and asked for the name of the producer. Make sense?

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat May 17, 2008 12:34 am

Mark Lipton wrote:I whipped up the following dish

I could eat that. :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:02 pm

Mark,

A neighbor just called. "Hey Jenise, I went hiking this week and picked a lot of morel mushrooms, more than Anne and I can use, and so we asked ourselves who we knew who might be able to use these...." Delivery expected shortly. He also said that he'd never cooked them before, and they'd tried them last night just pan-sauteed in butter and were a little underwelmed. I said that was a little too plain, and mentioned shallots and herbs. Then I remembered your recipe: I'm printing it out just now to give them for their next try. Thanks again for the post!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:04 pm

Jenise wrote:Mark,

A neighbor just called. "Hey Jenise, I went hiking this week and picked a lot of morel mushrooms, more than Anne and I can use, and so we asked ourselves who we knew who might be able to use these...." Delivery expected shortly. He also said that he'd never cooked them before, and they'd tried them last night just pan-sauteed in butter and were a little underwelmed. I said that was a little too plain, and mentioned shallots and herbs. Then I remembered your recipe: I'm printing it out just now to give them for their next try. Thanks again for the post!

Cool. I hope that it meets with their approval. Interesting that your morel crop is as good as it is: Northern CA (where I just returned from) had a miserable morel supply this year. Any forest fires up your way in '07 perchance?

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:07 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Jenise wrote:Mark,

Cool. I hope that it meets with their approval. Interesting that your morel crop is as good as it is: Northern CA (where I just returned from) had a miserable morel supply this year. Any forest fires up your way in '07 perchance?

Mark Lipton

These came from B.C. about 100 miles east of here. Not sure about the fire situation, but Gene did say they didn't get much compared to what they'd picked at the same spot last year. I suppose that's par for the course, that an area gets picked out quickly over time?