Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

More (Strange) Restaurant Customs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

More (Strange) Restaurant Customs

by Bill Spohn » Fri May 16, 2008 3:26 pm

Along the lines of the other thread about restaurant habits we don't like, how about restaurant habits for which we fail to see the logic?

Specifically, menu items that are stated to be only served for two (or more, sometimes) people.

If you are dining alone, or with someone who has different tastes in food than you do, that eliminates what are sometimes the more interesting menu items.

This often applies to appetiser assortments, but also to things like Caesar salad, and chateubriand. I've asked why they can't just do a half order for one person and got various unsatisfactory answers.

"The plate we use is too large" - Fine, use a smaller plate, fer Krisake! Besides, I promise I won't judge it on apparent volume of food, just on taste.

"We only do chateaubriand for two" with no logic given - like they can't just use a steak half as big?

One place actually said it was too much trouble to do a single order of a caesar salad. To that one I responded that if that was the case, and they couldn't be bothered giving me what I wanted, I declined to give them what they wanted - money - and walked out.

Now there may be menu items that for some reason or other are best suited to double helpings, but I can't think of any offhand. Can you?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: More (Strange) Restaurant Customs

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri May 16, 2008 4:14 pm

Paella.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri May 16, 2008 4:24 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Paella.

Yeah, I guess I can see that, although they manage to make single orders of risotto. In any case, if they are going to be serving paella, they normally have a huge bloody pan of it in the kitchen anyway and I can't recall ever seeing a 'twofer' restriction on paella, can you?

Paella, like Bouillabaisse, is not normally made to order. One recipe is made and when it runs out that's it.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri May 16, 2008 4:26 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:"We only do chateaubriand for two" with no logic given - like they can't just use a steak half as big?

Because then it would just be a filet. By it's very definition, chateaubriand is the butt end of the tenderloin, from which filets are cut. Presenting the piece of meat as a whole roast makes it a chateubriand. Cutting it smaller makes it a steak.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri May 16, 2008 4:45 pm

John Tomasso wrote:
Because then it would just be a filet. By it's very definition, chateaubriand is the butt end of the tenderloin, from which filets are cut. Presenting the piece of meat as a whole roast makes it a chateubriand. Cutting it smaller makes it a steak.

Don't know that that is true, John.

Wikipedia:

The Chateaubriand steak, also known as a Filet mignon, is a thick cut from the tenderloin, which, according to Larousse Gastronomique, was created by personal chef, Montmireil, for vicomte François-René de Chateaubriand, (1768–1848), the author and diplomat who served Napoleon as an ambassador and Louis XVIII as Secretary of State for two years. This cut is usually only offered as a serving for two, as there is only enough meat in the center of the average fillet for two portions.

Based on that it doesn't appear that is is served for two because of the definition, nor is there any reason I can see why they couldn't serve one or two helpings, with the option to use the remaining steak for a different recipe if they wished.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri May 16, 2008 4:53 pm

they manage to make single orders of risotto.

Yes, generally badly. It's premade, then just heated and finished to order.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri May 16, 2008 4:54 pm

If they did that Bill, cut it into a single serve portion, that is, then how would you differentiate it from an ordinary filet mignon?
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri May 16, 2008 5:00 pm

John Tomasso wrote:If they did that Bill, cut it into a single serve portion, that is, then how would you differentiate it from an ordinary filet mignon?

The chateaubriand would be the one with Bernaise sauce and a higher price.... :mrgreen:

You see recipes for this (doesn't mean they are correct in terms of nomenclature of course) that range from single serving to as big a roast as you can cut from that location - I did a quick google and saw 4 lb. as the max.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri May 16, 2008 5:59 pm

Now there may be menu items that for some reason or other are best suited to double helpings, but I can't think of any offhand. Can you?

American rack of lamb. Large Porterhouse.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri May 16, 2008 7:34 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:

But Joseph, would you only serve those as a double order? I'd think that any porterhouse could be cut down, and a half rack of lamb would serve one person (what weight rack are you referring to)?
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Fri May 16, 2008 9:41 pm

Chateaubriand is generally prepped well ahead of dinner, then set aside in the cooler awaiting orders. The cooking method calls for searing then roasting in the oven.

Supposing someone wanted half a chateaubriand. It would cook too quickly to finish in the oven using the same timing that the chef uses to prepare a double order, and that would complicate service. Finally, it would mean having to get another single-portion order for another diner.

Other dishes that are served in multiple portions are:
Asian made-to-order soups
Crown Roast of lamb or pork (hardly ever done any more)
Whole roast game birds like pheasant, duck, Bresse chicken in a bladder, etc. (usually the cooking technique is altered for single portion using a section of the bird)
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri May 16, 2008 10:28 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
ChefJCarey wrote:

But Joseph, would you only serve those as a double order? I'd think that any porterhouse could be cut down, and a half rack of lamb would serve one person (what weight rack are you referring to)?

No, you can't cut the Porterhouse down without destroying it.

And I don't think I ever had anyone ask to order a half lamb rack. American racks can be very large and it was an ideal "date" or couples dish. Four chops for the man and three for the woman - carved tableside. Although I must admit my waitrons sometimes got confused when there was a large woman and a small man.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri May 16, 2008 10:57 pm

But if you go to the market and look at what's there, a "chateaubriand" is a top sirloin cut a quarter of an inch thicker.

I don't think I've ever ordered chateaubriand in a restaurant, and I can't recall offhand seeing in on the menu.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed May 21, 2008 12:37 am

According to my "Joy of Cooking", p.454, a fillet of beef is divided into six parts.

The heavy end is divided into two segments: the tenderloin butt (at the end) and the chateaubriand (usually cut into double or triple portions).

The thinner end is divided into four segments (from center to end): fillet steaks, tournedos, filet mignons, and a tip (usually made into stroganoff or kebabs).

Thus spake Rombauer & Becker.