Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Need Cabernet friendly appetizer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Need Cabernet friendly appetizer

by Carrie L. » Sun May 18, 2008 9:45 am

My monthly wine group is meeting and this month we are drinking California Cabernet Sauvignons. I need to bring an appetizer, but am inspirationally challenged.
Sirloin crostinis with gouda and arugula?
Warm herb and cheese tart?
Ideas please!! :?:
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Need Cabernet friendly appetizer

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun May 18, 2008 11:33 am

I discovered accidentally that California Cabernet pairs superbly with saffron and wild mushroom risotto. So... arancini!
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 18, 2008 12:17 pm

Carrie L. wrote:My monthly wine group is meeting and this month we are drinking California Cabernet Sauvignons. I need to bring an appetizer, but am inspirationally challenged.
Sirloin crostinis with gouda and arugula?
Warm herb and cheese tart?
Ideas please!! :?:

Both excellent ideas. Would your sirloin crostinis be sliced rare meat or raw? If the former, you might consider using Boursin garlic and herb flavored cheese as a spread to hold the meat to the toast, and the flavor would be excellent--chop the arugula fine and use it as a flavorful garnish. Damn--I like the sound of that so much, I know what I'm doing next time I take an appie to a cab tasting! But another idea, one I've done many times especially when cutting carbs is a good idea, is to tuck a nice slice of rare meat into a piece of romaine lettuce cut just slightly less wide because it's attractive when the meat hangs out just a little, and drizzle or spoon a vinaigrette inside that contains a lot of garlic, fresh rosemary, coarse black pepper and chopped fresh tomato. Shaved pieces of your gouda would add a rich garnish.

Other ideas? Blue cheese gougeres. Greek tacos: miniature tortillas crisped and folded in an iron skillet (no fat!) filled with thinly sliced roast leg of lamb and red onions tamed and sweetened in a little lime juice (lime preserves the red color and turns it a heavenly magenta, doesn't 'bleach' it the way lemon does) and seasoned with chopped fresh oregano and feta cheese. Anything involving mushrooms: whole, marinated, stuffed or stir-fried at the last minute with sherry and garlic salt (Lawry's, and one of the few places where garlic salt is better than fresh). Bring your own wok and the prepped ingredients, and you can have a big plate of hot steaming shrooms wafting up heavenly fragrances on the table in less than five minutes--all you need is the three things I've already mentioned plus a little oil. The mushrooms, sherry and garlic salt (use lavishly) create their own sauce. Your pita bread pizzas (one of the great ideas you've given me), topped with sliced capicolla and and arugula salad of basic Dijon mustard vinaigrette tossed with fresh mushrooms and parmesan cheese.

Blue cheese and walnut terrine--did you ever try the recipe I posted here awhile back? Flavored with brandy and cumin, it's a great crostini spread. Would also be excellent with arugula.

Mushrooom strudel. Mushroom, onion and herb tart. Stilton cheesecake with polenta and herb crust.

I'll probably think of 43 more things as soon as I'm hungry. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun May 18, 2008 2:29 pm

Carpaccio or Beef tartare.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 18, 2008 2:45 pm

Robert J. wrote:Carpaccio or Beef tartare.

rwj

May I disagree? It's not a non-match, but the complex flavors of most tartares I've had or made would show better with a fresh young white wine better than the bigness and tannins of most cabernet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sun May 18, 2008 5:49 pm

Thanks for the ideas so far. They are good ones. Of course, mushrooms were the first thing I thought of. I ruled them out because they are always the first thing I think of--and therefore I have brought too many iterations of "wild mushroom something or other" over the years we've been meeting. :oops: I'm trying to branch out.

Jenise, the terrine you mentioned reminded me of a wonderful recipe I have for a blue cheese walnut spread. Maybe I can work that into something more than just a "spread." Also love your idea for the stilton cheese cake. Do you have a recipe for that?

The crostini I had thought about was using rare sliced sirloin. I made that a few years back--not sure anyone would remember so that is still a possibility. I like your idea of the boursin to hold it all in place.

The meeting is on the 30th so I still have some time...
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sun May 18, 2008 7:02 pm

Jenise wrote:
May I disagree?

Sure. But I still like it. There are lots of "non-matches" that I find agreeable.

rwj
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun May 18, 2008 10:45 pm

Make some old-fashioned, passe, stuffed mushrooms with small shiitakes. You can put the usual suspects for herbs in the stuffing, and just a hint of orange peel doesn't hurt.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Mon May 19, 2008 10:22 am

I just found a recipe for Tuna Carpaccio (seared only on the edges) with white truffle oil, arugula, capers and shaved parm. It sounds reallly good to me. Does raw/rare tuna go with Cabernet? Seems it does, although I don't recall I've ever tasted them together.
Thoughts?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 19, 2008 11:14 am

Carrie L. wrote:I just found a recipe for Tuna Carpaccio (seared only on the edges) with white truffle oil, arugula, capers and shaved parm. It sounds reallly good to me. Does raw/rare tuna go with Cabernet? Seems it does, although I don't recall I've ever tasted them together.
Thoughts?

It would go fine, especially with all the other ingredients you list. Sounds delicious so make a plate for me, will you? :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 19, 2008 11:17 am

Carrie,

Here's a recipe for a gorgonzola cheesecake with an easy & delicious polenta crust--just substitute Stilton.

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12868&p=106637&hilit=cheesecake+%26+Jenise%E2%80%A6#p106637
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Mon May 19, 2008 12:12 pm

Omg, Jenise, that sounds so good. Thanks for posting. I may have to call the hostess to see what others are bringing and whether we need something cheesy. Thanks also for your thoughts on the tuna. I really can't decide now.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon May 19, 2008 1:53 pm

Jenise wrote:Carrie,

Here's a recipe for a gorgonzola cheesecake with an easy & delicious polenta crust--just substitute Stilton.

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12868&p=106637&hilit=cheesecake+%26+Jenise%E2%80%A6#p106637

Jenise,
I'm surprised at the number of recommendations of yours that involve blue cheeses. IME, blue cheeses are a disaster with most red wines and usually require high acid whites, often with some sweetness, too (Monbazillac, Jurançon doux, etc.) However, I say this as someone who doesn't like the flavor of blue cheeses, being reminded too much of mildew and cork taint, so take that comment with a large grain of Stilton.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Mon May 19, 2008 6:25 pm

oh, come on. its the aperitif! why not the mother of cab sauv - sauv blanc. maybe you can't change things that much though. but if you can, it is easier to do an apetizer for.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 19, 2008 8:21 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Jenise wrote:Carrie,

Jenise,
I'm surprised at the number of recommendations of yours that involve blue cheeses. IME, blue cheeses are a disaster with most red wines and usually require high acid whites, often with some sweetness, too (Monbazillac, Jurançon doux, etc.) However, I say this as someone who doesn't like the flavor of blue cheeses, being reminded too much of mildew and cork taint, so take that comment with a large grain of Stilton.

Mark Lipton

First of all, I do love blue cheeses. And though I'm generally in the crowd that prefers white wines with cheese plates, blue cheese as a bold, tangy and sharp flavor ingredient in a food matched with a bold red like cabernet sauvignon is pure heaven. Since you don't care for blue cheese you may not be tempted to try this, but blue cheese in a brandy-based pan sauce to serve over pan seared filet mignon, or blue cheese stuffed into a pocket cut into a filet mignon that goes to the grill will prove my point.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon May 19, 2008 11:46 pm

Jenise wrote:
First of all, I do love blue cheeses. And though I'm generally in the crowd that prefers white wines with cheese plates, blue cheese as a bold, tangy and sharp flavor ingredient in a food matched with a bold red like cabernet sauvignon is pure heaven. Since you don't care for blue cheese you may not be tempted to try this, but blue cheese in a brandy-based pan sauce to serve over pan seared filet mignon, or blue cheese stuffed into a pocket cut into a filet mignon that goes to the grill will prove my point.

I'll just have to take your word for this, Jenise, as I would sooner eat used sweat socks than steak with blue cheese. Sorry...

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue May 20, 2008 8:43 am

Jenise wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:I just found a recipe for Tuna Carpaccio (seared only on the edges) with white truffle oil, arugula, capers and shaved parm. It sounds reallly good to me. Does raw/rare tuna go with Cabernet? Seems it does, although I don't recall I've ever tasted them together.
Thoughts?

It would go fine, especially with all the other ingredients you list. Sounds delicious so make a plate for me, will you? :)

Hmmm...sounds strikingly similar to an earlier post.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 20, 2008 11:14 am

Robert J. wrote:
Jenise wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:I just found a recipe for Tuna Carpaccio (seared only on the edges) with white truffle oil, arugula, capers and shaved parm. It sounds reallly good to me. Does raw/rare tuna go with Cabernet? Seems it does, although I don't recall I've ever tasted them together. Thoughts?

Hmmm...sounds strikingly similar to an earlier post.

rwj

If you're trying to call me a hypocrite, no sale. There's a big difference between food that won't offend ('will go fine') and what are otherwise classic, striking matches. Neither the tuna nor the beef version of tartare will be the latter, but they'll go fine and in this case it's the earthy, pungent flavors of truffle oil, arugula and parmesan that are going to enable the match, not the fish itself.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue May 20, 2008 12:28 pm

Jenise wrote:If you're trying to call me a hypocrite, no sale. There's a big difference between food that won't offend ('will go fine') and what are otherwise classic, striking matches. Neither the tuna nor the beef version of tartare will be the latter, but they'll go fine and in this case it's the earthy, pungent flavors of truffle oil, arugula and parmesan that are going to enable the match, not the fish itself.

Jenise, I would never, EVER call you a hypocrite. I just love a good sparring match.

With regards to the beef tartare or carpaccio, I think that the fat in the beef would calm the tannins of the wine (I like to buck the trend and use ribeye for carpaccio rather than filet; but either way my opinion still stands). Top the carpaccio or mix the tartare with a good, peppery EVOO and similar ingredients listed in the tuna post and, yes, you have a match.

rwj
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue May 20, 2008 3:16 pm

Robert J. wrote:Top the carpaccio or mix the tartare with a good, peppery EVOO and similar ingredients listed in the tuna post and, yes, you have a match.

rwj

Cook it and put on a bun, and you have real food. :wink:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue May 20, 2008 8:54 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:
Robert J. wrote:Top the carpaccio or mix the tartare with a good, peppery EVOO and similar ingredients listed in the tuna post and, yes, you have a match.

rwj

Cook it and put on a bun, and you have real food. :wink:

And they call me the cowboy. :roll:

rwj
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue May 20, 2008 9:33 pm

Hey, there's a reason it's called cooking... :roll:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue May 20, 2008 9:49 pm

Jenise wrote:
Robert J. wrote:Carpaccio or Beef tartare.

rwj

May I disagree? It's not a non-match, but the complex flavors of most tartares I've had or made would show better with a fresh young white wine better than the bigness and tannins of most cabernet.

I double-dog disagree.

I strongly suspect that I am the only one in attendance here who has made this dish to order (but never more than 20 - 25 times per day)hundreds and hundreds of times - had it on the regular menu at a restaurant in San Francisco.

Escoffier called it "Bifsteack a l'Americaine" - served with a sauce of hard-cooked egg yolk, chives, olive oil and wine vinegar. That sauce was "Tartare" sauce - hence the modern name. No raw egg yolk, though.

Larousse has it more like what I served - the egg is there along with raw onions, capers, Tabasco and Worcestershire. A little Dijon.

Beaujolais probably works best, I think. But, I wouldn't have a problem with anyone's palate who preferred a cabernet here. Or a syrah, for that matter.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 21, 2008 12:26 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Escoffier called it "Bifsteack a l'Americaine" - served with a sauce of hard-cooked egg yolk, chives, olive oil and wine vinegar. That sauce was "Tartare" sauce - hence the modern name. No raw egg yolk, though.

Yes, which is why most European restaurants to this day call it Steak Americaine.

Beaujolais probably works best, I think. But, I wouldn't have a problem with anyone's palate who preferred a cabernet here. Or a syrah, for that matter.

You make my point. Remember, I said "It's not a non-match" before making the case for a fresh, young wine not as "big" and without the "tannins of most cabernets". Though I said my preference runs to whites for that, your nomination of a beaujolais is essentially the same difference. And then it comes down to taste--Robert's not wrong, as no one is ever wrong about what they like, I just pointed out my own reasons for not finding it as good a match as some lighter wines would be.
Next