Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Need Cabernet friendly appetizer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Need Cabernet friendly appetizer

by Dave R » Wed May 21, 2008 3:06 pm

Robert's not wrong, as no one is ever wrong about what they like

Except for vegans. They are wrong. :P
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri May 23, 2008 3:36 pm

Here's another late vote for gougeres, blue or not.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:48 am

Well, here's an update and example of how the best laid plans can often go awry.

I decided on the tuna carpaccio which the hostess was happy about because the only other appetizer that was coming was a cheese platter. So, I bought the Ahi from the seafood restaurant/store where I always buy my fish. My understanding is that they bring their fish over every morning from Santa Monica. Anyway, it's always delicious and fresh.

So I get my two nice think slices of Ahi home that afternoon and warm up my pan to sear each side of the fish, but when I take the fish out of the bag it smells a little fishy. I look closely at it and it has started disintegrating in places. Ugh! Well, it was too late to come up with a different appetizer and I wouldn't have gone back for more/different fish at that point, so I called the hostess wondering if I could bring the pecan pie chocolate bars that I had intended to bring to a party last week and have been in my freezer since. Well, someone else was bringing dessert already, so she told me not to worry, she was making a whole tenderloin with potatoes and there would be plenty of food. So, I ended up just making the arugula piece of the appetizer, which was simply arugula tossed with lemon juice, EVOO, s/p, and topped with shaved parm. It was very simple, clean and delicious and was just a very nice salad to go along with the beef. I took the fish back to the store yesterday and got a full refund. And the California Cabs we had were incredible. Especially the 2003s.

So, it all ended well.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:16 pm

Carrie, that fish sounds distressing. Santa Monica Seafood is no doubt the purveyor (a great source, used to shop there all the time when I lived down there), but the fish you bought sounds worse/older than even yesterday's fish would have. Glad it turned out well anyway. No one can regret having to eat an arugula salad with their beef.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous