Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Artusi's Black Risotto

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Artusi's Black Risotto

by Howard » Thu May 22, 2008 9:57 am

The way things should be. Here is Kyle Phillips' translation of Artusi's black ink risotto. I don't know much about Artusi but I know they don't make cookbooks like this anymore.

http://italianfood.about.com/od/fishris ... 5.htm?nl=1
Howard
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Re: Artusi's Black Risotto

by Greg H » Thu May 22, 2008 10:14 am

I like the intro. :lol:
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Thu May 22, 2008 10:25 am

Interesting, Howard. I am not even sure if I could find squid ink in a store. Is it necessary for just the color or does it provide a taste and or texture that is required for this dish? Would there be an adequate substitute?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Thu May 22, 2008 11:14 am

Greg - that's what I liked too.

Dave - My limited experience (read none) is that the ink is for color only. But that's only what I've read because I've never used it. I know that others on this board have written about real experience with it so I know it can be obtained. I'm guessing someone like Dirk's seafood in Chicago can get it if I asked.
Howard
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu May 22, 2008 11:15 am

Dave R wrote:Interesting, Howard. I am not even sure if I could find squid ink in a store. Is it necessary for just the color or does it provide a taste and or texture that is required for this dish? Would there be an adequate substitute?

There is a flavor, not strong, to squid ink. I've had it in pasta and on the beast itself. Honestly, I can't think of a good substitute for it.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu May 22, 2008 11:38 am

This excessive use of greens is no doubt one of the reasons, and certainly not the least, behind the flaccid constitutions of some groups of people who bear up poorly under the stress of illness, and fall as thick as the leaves in late autumn.

Sounds like something Bill Spohn would have said!

Have to admit, I've turned down several opportunities to try squid ink. It's just so offfputtingly unattractive.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov