Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Lamb Shanks Josh Groban

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Lamb Shanks Josh Groban

by Jenise » Fri May 23, 2008 12:22 pm

My poor husband is language-challenged, and he has a hard time remembering foreign names. So where this recipe is adapted from a Daniel Boulud recipe called Lamb Shanks Rogan Josh based on the traditional Indian curry made with cubes of lamb, Bob has renamed it something similar yet more familiar and since it's my version of Daniel's dish, I might as well keep Bob's funny name.

DSC03046.JPG

I've made a number of changes to Daniel's recipe and methodology. For instance, I've eliminated the overnight "marinating" of the shanks in the dry rub, and instead leave many of the spices whole because my hubby loves the seedy texture. The preparation for my dish starts a few hours before dinner, not the day before. I also broil the shanks for a uniform browning instead of doing it on the stove top because shanks are all curves and don't have enough even surface area to color the shank. I'd rather put them under a broiler while I prep the other ingredients. I also add more yoghurt than he does (only 1/2 cup for six shanks) and toward the end of cooking rather than lose it, basically, by adding it only at the start. And too, I add more ginger, some at the start for complexity and more toward the end to brighten the flavors.

For two:

Grind together:
6 green cardamom pods
6 black peppercorns
6 white or green peppercorns
3 whole allspice
3 whole cloves
1 Tblsp sweet paprika
1 tblsp kosher salt
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 3 inch length of cinnamon stick or 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

2 lamb shanks
oil
1 red bell pepper, cored and sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 + 1 tblsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or 1 whole chipotle (or more to taste)
1 bay leaf
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 cup water

1/2-1 cup yoghurt

Rub the shanks with oil and place under a hot broiler; brown both sides.

In a saute pan just large enough to hold the shanks and braising liquid, toast the cumin seeds in a little oil and add the prepped vegetables. Sweat them down a bit then stir in the ground spices. Add the water, bay leaf, chile and shanks. Add more water if needed to have shanks half submersed, and heat until the contents reach a simmer. Now move the pan to a low shelf in a 300 degree oven and braise for two and half hours, and turn the shanks at the one and two hour points during cooking.

When the shanks are done, remove shanks from the pan and, on the stovetop, stir in the yoghurt and reserved ginger. Cook for about five minutes to blend, and add a little water to thin, if neccessary.

I usually serve these shanks over a simple pilau made of jasmine rice steamed in water seasoned simply with with salt, olive oil and kala jheera seeds. I usually garnish the shanks with a fresh mint sauce in the style of a persillade, or a fresh salad. Shown here is how I served it last night, with julienned carrots, chopped mint and green onions finished with lemon juice, salt and EVOO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

Re: RCP: Lamb Shanks Josh Groban

by Ines Nyby » Fri May 23, 2008 1:26 pm

Looks fabulous Jenise. I will make this next week as Kirk adores both Indian food and lamb shanks!
Ines
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri May 23, 2008 2:51 pm

Beautiful! This will definitely be my next lamb shank experiment.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri May 23, 2008 4:32 pm

Hubby has good taste.

Leaving the spices whole is typical of Mogul cookery.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Fri May 23, 2008 6:08 pm

This seems like a terrific concept dish amenable to many spice and seasoning variations.

Re: Browning the shank in the broiler. The point of searing the meat is not so much to pre-color it as to develop caramelization of the meat juices in the fat in the pan in which you cook the dish. It is desirable to develop bits of intense caramelization that are later deglazed.

When I make this type of dish (with chunks of meat), I may add some of the spice blend to the oil before I add the meat, or I may brown the meat, remove it, and add the aromatic vegetables and spices to continue browning. I then deglaze and add the meat back to the pan. I use the same method for lamb shanks, always removing them before adding the other aromatics, and deglazing before I put them back.

Do you add the broiler pan drippings into the braise?
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri May 23, 2008 8:03 pm

I am fonds of that technique.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat May 24, 2008 10:32 am

Sounds delicious, Jenise. Funny story too.
Bob must not be a golfer... My husband would have named it Lamb Osso Bucco Josh Groban. We are not allow to utter the word "shank" in any context. Any other golfers out there feel the same way? Bob Henrick?
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 24, 2008 10:48 am

Bernard Roth wrote:This seems like a terrific concept dish amenable to many spice and seasoning variations.

It is indeed. In fact, braised lamb shanks by itself is just that. It's a cut many people (like Bob) never experienced until the last 15 or so years when it became popular in high end restaurants, but it's a cut I grew up on--they used to be priced like dog bones. My mother would throw them in her big porcelain turkey roaster with a bunch of sliced onions and roast them until they browned, then add chicken stock and a little sherry and braise them until the meat was falling off the bone. I've done them in fancier ways since with more complex ingredients, like this dish, but mom's version needs no apologies as a great and simple preparation.

Re: Browning the shank in the broiler. The point of searing the meat is not so much to pre-color it as to develop caramelization of the meat juices in the fat in the pan in which you cook the dish. It is desirable to develop bits of intense caramelization that are later deglazed.

Yes I know. But the fact about lamb shanks is that they're a generally drier meat plus they're encased in a fairly solid layer of silver skin so there's almost nothing in the way of pan juices here and the browning is all about the maillard reaction on the meat and what flavor that generates. Which is why broiling's more efficient in this case and also why my answer to your last question is no, as there's nothing left in the pan but a few drops of fat.

Hey, how's the recuperation coming along?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 24, 2008 10:51 am

Carrie L. wrote:Sounds delicious, Jenise. Funny story too.
Bob must not be a golfer... My husband would have named it Lamb Osso Bucco Josh Groban. We are not allow to utter the word "shank" in any context. Any other golfers out there feel the same way? Bob Henrick?

That's funny too!
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat May 24, 2008 8:58 pm

Exactly the question, Jenise. Speaking of lamb shanks... My knee is healing quickly. I've been able to walk on the leg since I came out of surgery, though gingerly for the first 8-10 days. It is still sore inside and I cannot kneel on it. I also can't walk great distances (3-4 city blocks) without inflaming it.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sun May 25, 2008 12:49 am

Carrie L. wrote:We are not allow to utter the word "shank" in any context.

Last summer I had a few people over for dinner. I cooked a wild turkey on the grill. One of the guys asked me how I was going to cut it up. My girlfriend barked, "Just slice it like you do on the 14th hole, honey".

She was serious.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun May 25, 2008 12:56 am

Shanks a lot! Nice recipe.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Sun May 25, 2008 10:04 am

Love the name and the recipe looks tasty...maybe lamb shanks are in our future this week...but with 95 degrees outside (it's august weather here already. Welome to global warming), maybe not...If we get an unexpected cold snap of 85, I'll try it.

b
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sun May 25, 2008 11:29 am

Dave R wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:We are not allow to utter the word "shank" in any context.

Last summer I had a few people over for dinner. I cooked a wild turkey on the grill. One of the guys asked me how I was going to cut it up. My girlfriend barked, "Just slice it like you do on the 14th hole, honey".

She was serious.

Ouch Dave, that's cold. Is she still your girlfriend? :D
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon May 26, 2008 10:22 pm

Carrie, "shank" is the nastiest 5 letter word in the dictionary! Ask any golfer. It is even worse than bogey.:D
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Mon May 26, 2008 10:43 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:

Carrie, "shank" is the nastiest 5 letter word in the dictionary! Ask any golfer. It is even worse than bogey.:D

I know. Did you ever notice whenever anyone hits one, everyone in the foursome winces?
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue May 27, 2008 11:52 am

Carrie L. wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:

I know. Did you ever notice whenever anyone hits one, everyone in the foursome winces?

Strange how in golf there are so many "bad words" (slice, hook, shank, worm burner, etc.) but, as far as I know, there are not any "bad words" for miss hits in tennis.
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Tue May 27, 2008 6:20 pm

Dave R wrote:
Strange how in golf there are so many "bad words" (slice, hook, shank, worm burner, etc.) but, as far as I know, there are not any "bad words" for miss hits in tennis.

Okay Dave, I've been wracking my brain all day and could only come up with one, but ironically it also can be used in golf! The dreaded......"WHIFF." (And it's not really a "miss hit" it's a "hit miss." :roll: )
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:00 am

Tried this last night and enjoyed it very much.

I wonder if it wouldn't work very well with oxtails (although the lamb is especially good) and I also wondered if instead of finishing it with yogurt, one could use coconut milk and some arrowroot (to thicken). That might give a different complementary flavour.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:16 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Tried this last night and enjoyed it very much.

I wonder if it wouldn't work very well with oxtails (although the lamb is especially good) and I also wondered if instead of finishing it with yogurt, one could use coconut milk and some arrowroot (to thicken). That might give a different complementary flavour.

Hey Birthday Boy, thanks for reporting back. Does this suggestion mean your sauce turned out on the thin side? Mine was thick which you can see in the picture, and in fact I had to thin it with a little water to get it to that point.

Coconut milk would be excellent too, but then it would be more Thai flavored than strictly Rogan Josh.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:05 pm

Yeah - I trebled it so I'd have another meal out of it and to cover the shanks I needed more liquid. I suppose I could have patiently reduced it, but the smell of the spices was making it too hard to resist. I can see that with only 2 shanks it might have been different.

Gee, I thought it was only Thai if you added coconut milk AND lemon grass.... :D

I think it is a shame that many people seem to have the impression that dishes like this are 'too spicy'. It depends entirely on how much of the hot spices you include and also when you add them - which is why traditionally when you are 'setting' the heat with something like garam masala, you do it right at the end, lest the spices lose their potency from cooking )I call that the gigolo effect - enough time in the hot tub and everything goes limp).

I have a really great recipe (if I do say so myself - ask our friend Les sometime, an internationally famous, at least in his own eyes, lamb aficionado) that coats a boneless rack of lamb with a layer of spices - cinnamon, coriander, cumin etc., then I wrap it in phyllo and cook it until just rare....mmmmmm.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:02 pm

Jenise wrote:Coconut milk would be excellent too, but then it would be more Thai flavored than strictly Rogan Josh.

Or more of a south Indian style, from Kerala, Karnatika, or Tamil Nadu--they use a lot of coconut. But Rogan Josh is a north Indian dish.

-Paul W.