Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

POLL: Your preferences for lobster, crab and shrimp

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Lobster, crab or shrimp?

Lobster
39%
Crab
44%
Shrimp
17%

Total votes : 36
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

POLL: Your preferences for lobster, crab and shrimp

by Jenise » Sat May 24, 2008 12:19 pm

When I was a child, crab was pretty much unknown to me except as the filling in a folded slice of abalone at my favorite restaurant (yes, I've always eaten well). Shrimp, any way you prepared it, I adored. Lobster, experienced only in tasting what other family members ordered in that same restaurant, either a simple broiled tail or in that glamourpuss of so-called "Continental" American dining, Lobster Thermidor, I hated, though now that I like it I can't explain what it was I didn't like back then.

Of course like most people who don't live in Maine, I have never had all the lobster I wanted. So I wait eagerly every year for Memorial Day weekend when one of the grocery stores in town flies in a massive quantity of live Maine lobsters. And yesterday there I was standing in line to claim two 2 pounders as my very own, which we steamed for last night's dinner. The rest of the meal was clarified butter, crusty sourdough bread, and romaine lettuce tossed with a tarragon mustard vinaigrette. Oh, and a bottle of good Washington chardonnay. And so there I was, in the middle of taking a hammer to the second massive claw that was not going to yield forth it's goodness any other way, already covered with much splatter from the first claw, when it dawned on me that this mess was pretty unacceptable and furthermore, truth be told, on taste alone, good as this was I liked those frozen Malaysian flower shrimp that I butterflied, painted with browned butter and garlic and broiled for dinner last Friday, better.

So without divulging why I wanted to know, I asked Bob to put shrimp, lobster and crab in his order of preference, and even with a mouthfull of sweet Maine tail he came back with: shrimp, crab, lobster. Even if they're frozen, I asked, like those shrimp I broiled last week? "Those were infinuckingcredible," he said, "I would rather have those than this any day of the week. And I don't have to wear a bib to eat them."

Of course, secretly I already agreed. And when I think back to any of the fresh shrimp I've ever been lucky enough to have and compare them to the lobster we had last night, there's even less of a contest. Some would call their flavor lighter, and I would agree with that while pointing out that to me that's not wan but delicate, in the way pinot noir's more delicate than cabernet but no less magnificent, and I find a lot of refinement in that delicacy. I also prefer their finer texture. For the same reasons, I probably prefer the Dungeness crab we pull out of our bay every August to lobster too, and though this isn't an attempt to vote lobster off the planet as it really is delicious, we found ourselves wondering last night if lobster's impressive size, cost and relative scarcity are what leaves it relatively unchallenged as the luxury goods of shellfish, or if a majority of others would agree that it's the best.

Let's discuss.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Lobster vs. crab vs. shrimp

by Robin Garr » Sat May 24, 2008 12:40 pm

Hmm, good question. I guess for me it's shrimp, lobster, crab, but I love them all, and to some extent it depends on the circumstances.

Okay with you if I add in a poll?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat May 24, 2008 1:15 pm

Crab, shrimp, lobster for me. (Although I may be slightly biased due to the potted crab we had last weekend as a starter.) To me, good fresh crab has a more interesting flavor than good fresh shrimp. It's a very close call between the two of them, but I have to put crab on top. Lobster has always been a distant third for me. Not worth the mess, fuss, expense, etc.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 24, 2008 1:43 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Hmm, good question. I guess for me it's shrimp, lobster, crab, but I love them all, and to some extent it depends on the circumstances.

Okay with you if I add in a poll?

No, go right ahead.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat May 24, 2008 2:30 pm

Jenise wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:... Okay with you if I add in a poll?

No, go right ahead.

Done!
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: POLL: Your preferences for lobster, crab and shrimp

by ChefJCarey » Sat May 24, 2008 3:09 pm

Wouldn't let me pick all three.

And it really does depend.

If I bought it and I'm cooking it, all three are equal.

I don't like anyone else buying fish or shellfish for me.

And I won't eat crab or shrimp in a restaurant unless It is absolutely a topnotch joint. I know too much.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat May 24, 2008 4:09 pm

I love lobster. Heck I'm from New England!

But I also love crab and shrimp. I could not live without any of them. I use crab more than any of them because Laura loves it (she also really likes lobster, but she hates shrimp). I am making a crab salad with lime tomorrow.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat May 24, 2008 4:15 pm

Everyone says I'm a crab, so crab it is.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat May 24, 2008 4:29 pm

Unquestionably, CRAB - Dungeness, please, I like a fork full of lobster now and again. Don't particularly care for shrimp at all - except for as tempura. Somehow, the texture of tempura shrimp is perfect, other than that, I don't eat it.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat May 24, 2008 6:01 pm

Good timing, Jenise. We are in the desert for a few more weeks and the other night had lobsters delivered from Boston for us and two other couples. First I'll say, there is not a messier dinner to prepare than lobster. We had to use two large pots for steaming, since they wouldn't all fit into one, we also prepared fresh clams in garlic, shallots and white wine, corn on the cob, biscuits and a simple salad. It took forever to clean up the kitchen. All of those shells! Uhg. My husband forgot to put his bibb on and with his first manuever to twist the tail from the body, green stuff shot all over his "just out of the dry cleaners" shirt. That said, it was absolutely incredible. So simple, just dipped into melted butter, but oh so good. Everytime we eat it, we say, "We should have this more often." We had a whole lobster leftover from our dinner so last night I made homemade Lobster rolls with it. Buttered toasted bun, cold lobster salad--can't beat it.

As a kid growing up in Florida, we spent two weeks every summer in the Keys. We always caught "spiny" lobsters by holding onto a ski rope behind our boat and when we saw tentacles, we swooped down with our "tickle stick" and net and caught them. So much fun. They were good too, but nothing beats the Maine variety.

I like shrimp and crab too, but the difference would be that they always need more additional seasoning/preparation for me to enjoy. Shrimp scampi, crab cakes, etc...
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat May 24, 2008 7:37 pm

Since my brother and sister both live in Maine I get it once or twice a year when I visit them. I love it. When I was in Washington to welcome home my son Pete last September I had the opportunity to have Dungeness crab cakes at a very nice restaurant recommended by Bucko (Anthony's). They were to die for. And quite frankly, I've almost become bored with shrimp lately, but I'm sure it's just a temporary thing.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Leslie D.

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:40 pm

by Leslie D. » Sun May 25, 2008 12:50 am

Like them all. The only one that's available live here and never frozen is lobster. So it's first choice.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun May 25, 2008 7:26 am

Oh Lobster...yes! Actually, lobster is my all-time favorite food, hands down. It's not something we ate all the time, but it was always saved for special occasions. To this day, whenever we have a family bday, we have a lobster dinner.

I grew up in NJ but summered in Cape Cod. My brothers and I ate fresh seafood every day...we went quahoging, or crabbing, or fishing and had lots of steamers and broiled eel. But even then lobster was considered a rare treat.

I love eating whole lobster as well...something about "working" for my food is very satisfying for me. My hubby on the other hand likes lobster as long as it's out of the shell and ready to eat or in a bisque.

My order: Lobster, crab, shrimp
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun May 25, 2008 10:38 am

I love shrimp, but lobster thermidor? MMMMMMMM! Image

But why do so many recipes for the bechamel omit the Dijon?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun May 25, 2008 5:19 pm

Crab stands on top for me. It is so delicate and speaks so much of the ocean. Lobster and shrimp are both excellent of course, although my complaint with lobster is that it can be too rich.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Sun May 25, 2008 5:37 pm

I like all three, but blue crab stands at the top for me. I get them live locally and either steam them myself or have the fish monger do it for me. Either way, I am happy.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun May 25, 2008 6:17 pm

Greg Hollis wrote:I like all three, but blue crab stands at the top for me. I get them live locally and either steam them myself or have the fish monger do it for me. Either way, I am happy.

We used to go to a place in Florida where they would steam them and then sautee them in garlic, oil and Old Bays. Yum. Shoot, now I have a wicked craving for them. :twisted:
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon May 26, 2008 12:12 am

Had fresh Dungeness crabtonight, maybe 2 hours out of a friend's trap.
Excellent, though a bit more work than either shrimp or lobster.

Oddly, my wife declined to swap plates right after she had dug out all the crab meat but just before she started eating it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 26, 2008 10:34 am

Greg Hollis wrote:I like all three, but blue crab stands at the top for me. I get them live locally and either steam them myself or have the fish monger do it for me. Either way, I am happy.

I love Dungeness, and as a former Alaskan a have a big soft spot in my heart for King, but a trip to Washington DC about 20 years ago introduced me to blue crab and crab cakes, and I have to say they are exceptional and I suspect that side by side, I'd choose them over Dungeness. They're not very large, though, are they? I mean, for Dungeness, we alllow 1 to 1.5 crabs per person though without bread and other things one might devour two, with blue how many would make a meal?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 26, 2008 10:38 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Had fresh Dungeness crabtonight, maybe 2 hours out of a friend's trap.

That's right, your season's open all year long. Down here, only the Lummi Indians can catch crab whenever they want. The rest of us have to wait until August.

Oddly, my wife declined to swap plates right after she had dug out all the crab meat but just before she started eating it.

Ah, she's one of those who cleans it ALL before eating? I've met her type, and I don't trust them. That kind of willpower just isn't natural. :)
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon May 26, 2008 10:48 am

They're not very large, though, are they? I mean, for Dungeness, we alllow 1 to 1.5 crabs per person though without bread and other things one might devour two, with blue how many would make a meal?

I'd say at least a dozen, maybe a dozen and a half. Having cooked and eaten about a billion of both Dungeness and blue crabs over the years, I must say I prefer Dungeness. Yeah, I'm a traitor.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon May 26, 2008 8:21 pm

Being from Eureka CA, I know Dungeness crab. My father-in-law used to serve it just hours out of the traps. It is so verstile, and my favorite. I also love lobster but it seems some do not know how to cook it, so many times I tried to eat rubber. Shrimp is always around and I do love it, but not as much as the first two.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon May 26, 2008 8:23 pm

Crab has so much better flavor than either one of the other.

rwj
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Tue May 27, 2008 9:46 am

Lobster, shrimp, crab.

The complexity of flavors I get in lobster (granted only when I eat it in New England, I have rarely found it worth eating elsewhere) blows all else out of the water.

I thought for awhile that perhaps it might have been the romance and memories of the way we ate it slathered in butter and making a general mess of things, which I loved as a kid. But then a few months ago I was visiting New Hampshire and we had lobsters but had forgotten the nutcrackers to pry them open with. In addition, my tub of melted butter was far too salty to consider using at all--even a second melted batch was inedible. So I cracked open a two-pounder with a thick winter shell with nothing more than my bare hands and a wobbly set of kitchen shears which barely avoided being cracked in the battle. No butter, no accompaniments. One of the most delicious, most complex, most satisfying dishes I have ever had. Alaskan King Crab is the only thing I've had that has ever offered that incredible layering of flavors.
Next