Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Nuka-zuke (japanese pickles)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Eric L

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:29 pm

Yokohama, Japan

Nuka-zuke (japanese pickles)

by Eric L » Mon May 26, 2008 11:41 pm

:wink: I am sure all you forum members have been concerned at one time or another that the Japanese, by eating only the white grain part of rice are missing out on the most nutrient rich part – the outer bran. Well, you needn’t worry. :wink: The rice bran (nuka) has long been used as a pickling agent and those wonderful nutrients, especially the B complex vitamins, seep their way into those delicious pickled veggies, called nuka-zuke.

For the last six months I have been trying my hand at making these. Here are two pictures from a recent batch.

Cucumbers and radishes.
nuka1.JPG

The pink flower-shaped pieces are from a red radish. During pickling, the red color leaches into the radish turning it a faint pink reminiscent of a plum blossom.

Brussels sprout, small Japanese radish, and turnip.
nuka2.JPG

The pickling base is simple. Rice bran, enough water to make it the consistency of damp sand, a piece of dried konbu (a type of seaweed), salt, a clove of garlic pealed, a small piece of fresh ginger and a small Japanese chili. The last three items, while adding subtle flavor, are supposed to help keep insects away and undesirable bacteria from forming. I have read that some use beer instead of water and others have added powdered mustard to the mix. I mixed everything together by hand and embedded some starter agents; apple and carrot peelings. I tamped the mixture down to remove any air, covered it and stored in a dark cool place and within a week the pickling bed was ready for use.

Here is a picture of my pickling tub. Traditionally a wooden tub or ceramic jars would be used. I used a plastic tub.
nuka3.JPG

The mini cucumbers and small radishes take between 6 to 12 hours to pickle. Turnips and carrots usually take several days and daikon radishes can be left to pickle for weeks. Ideally the pickle should be pliable yet al dente when you bite into it.

The flavor is not like pickles we are used to in the west. There is a slight malty, earthy smell and flavor; an acquired taste perhaps. Oh yes, after taking the pickles out or turning the mix to air it out occasionally, that slight smell from the paste does get on your hands.
nuka4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Nuka-zuke (japanese pickles)

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon May 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Eric.

Extremely interesting first post!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue May 27, 2008 10:05 am

Yes, welcome, Eric. I like to make Japanese pickles too. But, I have a much simpler, more modern process. This was very interesting.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Eric, this is an outrageously informative first post--I had no idea that Japanese pickles were made this way, but I've wondered. Welcome, welcome, welcome!

I want to address the part of where you said it might be an acquired taste, because I disagree. An unapologetic vegetable lover who adores anything pickled, the curious taste and dry (yet pliable, as you so aptly put it) texture of a Japanese pickle was completely foreign to me, yet I loved them instantly. I've never been able to even guess at how it was done, though I guessed some form of dessication was involved (and that would seem to be wrong).

Approximately how much vegetable can you put on that bed at a time?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Eric L

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:29 pm

Yokohama, Japan

by Eric L » Thu May 29, 2008 9:09 pm

Jenise wrote:... I guessed some form of dessication was involved (and that would seem to be wrong).

Approximately how much vegetable can you put on that bed at a time?

Jenise,

Actually you are not wrong completely. One of the most famous types of nuka zuke uses daikon radishes and does involve drying them out somewhat before putting them in the pickling agent.

My tub is small and I can put in around five mini cucumbers. It is important to make sure that whatever you are pickling is completely covered. Also, these pickles do not last but a few days after taking them out so I only make small amount at a time.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Fri May 30, 2008 12:28 am

Killer post, Eric! Welcome, indeed!

Do you submerge the veggies in the mixture or simply rest them on top?

rwj
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri May 30, 2008 3:16 pm

Welcome Eric to the forum...great post, very interesting and informative. I liked the last pic too...made me LOL.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri May 30, 2008 7:02 pm

Eric L wrote:I am sure all you forum members have been concerned at one time or another that the Japanese, by eating only the white grain part of rice are missing out on the most nutrient rich part – the outer bran. Well, you needn’t worry. :wink:

What a relief!!

BTW how do you say "My hand smells of pickles" in Japanese?

Frank