Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Slow Tuesday poll: What did you have for dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Slow Tuesday poll: What did you have for dinner?

by Jenise » Tue May 27, 2008 1:25 pm

I was planning on spaghetti. That is, a big green salad plus strand pasta covered in a robust red sauce that I had in the freezer. An easy dinner to pull together after a long day of working around the house. It was about 6:30 when we finally put our tools down and moved into the den to enjoy a glass of chardonnay before I started on dinner, and unbeknownst to us at just about the same moment that I popped that cork, across the neighborhood our friend Ron said to his wife Anne, "I wonder if the motor home will start." Minutes later Anne called us from her cell phone and ordered Bob and I to drop whatever we were doing and stand outside because they were on their way over to pick us up ("oh, and bring wine", she said). We grabbed our bottle and ran outside, and in no time around the corner came this medium-sized RV, containing Anne, Ron and another couple, Tom and Vanessa, who'd been picked up on the way to our house, and Skippy the papillon. We climbed aboard, poured everyone a glass, and took off. Over the next few minutes we picked up Jeff and Lynette, Al and Judy, Pat and Jim, and Gary and Dorothy and for the next couple of hours we just cruised the neighborhood, a spontaneous, standing room only, party on wheels.

By the time Bob and I were dropped off around 9:30, we were desperately in need of food. Like, NOW. So thank god for that bag of Tater Tots I bought a few months ago. No matter how snobby and particular we are about the food we eat most of the time, there really is a place for a bag of something in the freezer that you can turn into a hot meal of sorts in ten minutes. We devoured a plate of those dipped in Sriricha sauce, then killed off a bowl of cold, first-of-the-season, cherries. Not exactly health food, but it was just the food we needed.

What was on at your house?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Re: Slow Tuesday poll: What did you have for dinner?

by Linda R. (NC) » Tue May 27, 2008 1:46 pm

Even though it was Memorial Day, we were pretty much on our own. My best friend who just moved home from GA, is on a family vacation at the beach, so it was just the two of us. I grilled burgers (which fell apart on the grill) and hot dogs (Hebrew National), made potato salad and added to that leftover baked beans. Washed it all down with a couple cheap beers. Do we know how to celebrate or what? :wink:

There was also a lesson learned yesterday. Just like snow days, don't wait until the last minute to get buns on Memorial Day. The convenience store at the corner was out, Food Lion was out, the next closest place was (dare I say it here?) Wal-Mart because it's 5 minutes from my house. For the bargain hunters, last week they had Hebrew Nationals 2/$5.00 and I had a 75-cent coupon. Beats the heck out of $5 and up at the regular grocery stores.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue May 27, 2008 2:18 pm

Leftovers from yesterday's cookout, which I cooked ouside, but we ate inside due to high winds and a forecast for thunderstorms. So, I can have a green salad, or potato salad or macaroni salad or a hot dog or Italian sausage or chili (with beans) or or shrimp cocktail or baked beans or any combination of the above.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Tue May 27, 2008 3:02 pm

For us, dinner was really at 3 pm, while we were sailing home from Catalina. BH and Linda were with us, thankfully NOT queasy or seasick this time (we figured out the perfect formula on how to avert that malady, finally), so we reheated the cheesy spinach lasagna and panko-walnut crusted chicken cutlets we'd had for Sat. night dinner aboard. Yummy! When we eventually got back to the house, late, Kirk said he wanted a salad, so I fixed a quick baby-greens salad with chevre, glazed pecans and a blood-orange vinaigrette, with a couple of thin slices of chilled braised pork belly. After a long weekend of too much wine and food, water was the only beverage we wanted.
Ines
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue May 27, 2008 3:18 pm

It was Memorial Day -- which means outside celebration. I fired up the Weber and cooked 2 slabs of baby backs, a package of Johnsonvilles (I hate these, but my husband LOVES them -- so I am obligated), and included a package of Aidell's Sun-dried Tomato sausages for myself, and 1 split whole chicken. As sides -- corn on the cob, cole slaw, baked beans and watermelon. Ended with large servings of strawberry shortcake (home made shortcakes). Yum!!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue May 27, 2008 3:43 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote: I fired up the Weber and cooked 2 slabs of baby backs, a package of Johnsonvilles (I hate these, but my husband LOVES them -- so I am obligated)...

Jo Ann,

Which flavor of Johnsonvilles?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue May 27, 2008 3:54 pm

Dave R wrote:Jo Ann,

Original.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue May 27, 2008 3:57 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:

Original.

You mean the brats?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue May 27, 2008 4:00 pm

Pizza dough never got made because I got distracted in the studio. So I had to eat homemade vanilla bean ice cream with fresh cherries and dark chocolate mixed in at the very end of freezing. :D
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue May 27, 2008 4:02 pm

Dave R wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:

Original.

You mean the brats?

Yes.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 27, 2008 4:09 pm

This is a Tuesday poll talking about Monday dinner, right? :)

I had an undersize local strip steak that wasn't really enough for two as a steak, so I cut it into bite-size pieces and sauteed them with onions, garlic and a bunch of mushrooms, turned it into a quick sauce with some chopped tomatoes and their juices, and put it over rigatoni. Made a super match with a low-end Burg (Jadot 05 Bourgogne Pinot Noir) to be reported.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue May 27, 2008 5:21 pm

We are ordering Take-Out (Take-away) tonight...Chinese...YUM! General Tsao's delight, Hunan beef, house special fried rice, Shrimp chow mai fun, maybe some boneless spareribs, sprimp toast, and some fried vegetable dumplings...definitely not healthy...but oh so good.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue May 27, 2008 5:56 pm

Memorial Day cookout. RIBS! Two slabs of baby backs were gonna be smoked by me when I returned from morning golf at noon or so. But our son was interested in teeing it up too, so the two of us played started at noon. Which left the ribs to Cindy, who cooked them her way, combination of oven and grill. Sides were cole slaw, corn on the cob, and Kiwi fruit. Homemade cheesecake for dessert. Bottle of Possum Vineyards McLaren Vale Shiraz with the ribs. Yum!
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue May 27, 2008 6:07 pm

MikeH wrote:Memorial Day cookout. RIBS! Two slabs of baby backs were gonna be smoked by me when I returned from morning golf at noon or so. But our son was interested in teeing it up too, so the two of us played started at noon. Which left the ribs to Cindy, who cooked them her way, combination of oven and grill. Sides were cole slaw, corn on the cob, and Kiwi fruit. Homemade cheesecake for dessert. Bottle of Possum Vineyards McLaren Vale Shiraz with the ribs. Yum!

That meal sounds familiar, Mike. Way to go. My pairing was a Columbia Winery 2007 Pinot Gris. The nose (fruity and spicy) did not deliver on the taste (quite pale). I would not recommend it.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue May 27, 2008 6:14 pm

Jenise wrote:No matter how snobby and particular we are about the food we eat most of the time, there really is a place for a bag of something in the freezer that you can turn into a hot meal of sorts in ten minutes.

Yes, I agree! That would be a fun post to start in fact. What do you keep on hand in the freezer/pantry for "emergency" meals? (It's probably already been done, huh?)

Ours would have to be frozen chicken wings (either Buffalo or Tequila Lime seasoning). I almost always have some stalks of celery and blue cheese dressing in the fridge. I also usually have some frozen homemade soup of some sort that thaws in the microwave pretty quickly.

As for tonight, we were going to eat out with some friends at a restaurant where I always order the sole with lemon buerre blanc and capers. I've been thinking about it for days...but the dinner got postponed until tomorrow night. (Damn.) We're heading east in a few weeks so my mission has been to clear out the freezer! I'll go see what I can find. Lots to choose from--duck legs, pork loin with ribs attached, half leg of lamb, veal chops. (The latter will probably be the ticket.) I have lots of salad fixins here, and will probably make some brown rice blend to go along side.

Edited to add what I meant to say in the first place. Jenise, you have the coolest neighbors. Seems like they are all (including you and Bob) so spontaneous and fun.
Last edited by Carrie L. on Tue May 27, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue May 27, 2008 6:27 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:
MikeH wrote:Memorial Day cookout. RIBS! Two slabs of baby backs were gonna be smoked by me when I returned from morning golf at noon or so. But our son was interested in teeing it up too, so the two of us played started at noon. Which left the ribs to Cindy, who cooked them her way, combination of oven and grill. Sides were cole slaw, corn on the cob, and Kiwi fruit. Homemade cheesecake for dessert. Bottle of Possum Vineyards McLaren Vale Shiraz with the ribs. Yum!

That meal sounds familiar, Mike. Way to go. My pairing was a Columbia Winery 2007 Pinot Gris. The nose (fruity and spicy) did not deliver on the taste (quite pale). I would not recommend it.

Thanks for the note about the PG.....my wife is a big PG fan....won't buy that one anytime soon.

It was Memorial Day -- which means outside celebration. I fired up the Weber and cooked 2 slabs of baby backs, a package of Johnsonvilles (I hate these, but my husband LOVES them -- so I am obligated), and included a package of Aidell's Sun-dried Tomato sausages for myself, and 1 split whole chicken. As sides -- corn on the cob, cole slaw, baked beans and watermelon. Ended with large servings of strawberry shortcake (home made shortcakes). Yum!!

How were those Aidell sausages? I see them in Costco, all sorts of varities, was wondering what they were like.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue May 27, 2008 6:58 pm

MikeH wrote:How were those Aidell sausages? I see them in Costco, all sorts of varities, was wondering what they were like.

Personally, I really like them. They are mild and the flavors are always interesting -- I've only bought the chicken and turkey sausage ones. The one I don't particularly care for are the chicken and apple. The sweetness throws me off. (I've had other apple sausages that weren't as sweet.) The ones with herbs and garlic, and other vegetable ingredients are some of the best I've tasted.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue May 27, 2008 7:27 pm

Tacos made my way. Half bison, half lean burger, browned with lots of fresh garlic. One can tomato sauce, 1/2 cup of favorite salsa, salt and pepper. Salad consists of greens from our garden, garden cilantro, yellow and red tomatoes, avocado. A small dish of red onion diced, another of grated cheddar and mozzarella. I use white corn taco shells, fried
and filled with the meat. At the table we add onion first, then cheese, topped off with salad. Our favorite Lindy's red taco sauce is poured over....eat! Dinner will be at 7 pm and we have plenty of tacos, if you want to join us. Oh, Gene might have a beer, and I just opened a bottle of XS Red.

Jenise, when we first got our RV, we would pick up the neighbors, serve wine and cruise the neighborhood or go to a local park, find a spot by the river and order pizza. It was so much fun. Sometimes we invited people to go to dinner, and we picked them up in the RV. Parking lots can get a little tricky, but a good time was had by all.
Last edited by Karen/NoCA on Tue May 27, 2008 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Tue May 27, 2008 7:32 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Pizza dough never got made because I got distracted in the studio. So I had to eat homemade vanilla bean ice cream with fresh cherries and dark chocolate mixed in at the very end of freezing. :D

Well, don't expect any sympathy here. :D
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue May 27, 2008 7:41 pm

Doug Surplus wrote:Well, don't expect any sympathy here. :D

Especially if you look at the photo in the photo thread. ;)
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue May 27, 2008 9:33 pm

Two black bean chalupas with a big-ass pile of guacamole on each one.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue May 27, 2008 10:37 pm

If we're talking tonight's dinner, it was pan-sauteed flounder fillets, green salad with pesto dressing, and pan-roasted veggies.

If we're talking last night's dinner, it was steak on the grill: skirt, rib, and porterhouse.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue May 27, 2008 11:30 pm

Tonight, after a 2-hour visit to the after-hours clinic to learn what I had thought all along - that what I've had for the past 8 days is viral and allergies, I had leftover ribeye steak on french bread as a sandwich, and leftover brown rice and veggies from Saturday, and a diet Coke. Preceded by a $3 prescription antihistamine pill that bore the warning to NOT drink alcohol while taking this medication! Bah, Humbug! :evil: :cry:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Wed May 28, 2008 1:23 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:Tonight, after a 2-hour visit to the after-hours clinic to learn what I had thought all along - that what I've had for the past 8 days is viral and allergies, I had leftover ribeye steak on french bread as a sandwich, and leftover brown rice and veggies from Saturday, and a diet Coke. Preceded by a $3 prescription antihistamine pill that bore the warning to NOT drink alcohol while taking this medication! Bah, Humbug! :evil: :cry:

Do you believe those quacks and charlatans? :shock:
Cheers!
Mike
Next