Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Slow Tuesday poll: What did you have for dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Slow Tuesday poll: What did you have for dinner?

by Jenise » Thu May 29, 2008 9:05 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise, when we first got our RV, we would pick up the neighbors, serve wine and cruise the neighborhood or go to a local park, find a spot by the river and order pizza. It was so much fun. Sometimes we invited people to go to dinner, and we picked them up in the RV. Parking lots can get a little tricky, but a good time was had by all.

Well that beats the heck out of leaving it next to the house unused for months on end, as most do around here. Our little cruise was so much fun we've decided to take Anne's Party Bus, as it shall hereafter be known, down to Seattle to do some wine tasting on Saturday. We're taking along all the supplies needed for a major picnic, too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 29, 2008 9:08 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Yes, I agree! That would be a fun post to start in fact. What do you keep on hand in the freezer/pantry for "emergency" meals? (It's probably already been done, huh?)

I've never bought pre-seasoned chicken wings. Which ones do you like, and who makes the tequila lime? That sounds interesting. Our usual freezer emergency food is the Trident brand fish sticks from Costco. They're not just convenient, they're really really good. And I don't feel too guilty about serving them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 29, 2008 9:10 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:If we're talking tonight's dinner, it was pan-sauteed flounder fillets, green salad with pesto dressing, and pan-roasted veggies.

If we're talking last night's dinner, it was steak on the grill: skirt, rib, and porterhouse.

A mixed beef grill? Sounds good, was all that beef for two? And after telling us about your partner's (or is it husband now?) knife skills, I have the feeling that you do most of the cooking. Is that the case or does he at least like to be involved?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu May 29, 2008 9:32 pm

Jenise wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:If we're talking last night's dinner, it was steak on the grill: skirt, rib, and porterhouse.

A mixed beef grill? Sounds good, was all that beef for two?

Three. (I, personally, can eat all the skirt steak that anyone can deliver.)

And after telling us about your partner's (or is it husband now?) knife skills, I have the feeling that you do most of the cooking. Is that the case or does he at least like to be involved?

Not husband yet.

In large part, he does the prep work and I do the cooking. There are a very few things he handles entirely himself -- the vertical chicken roaster, for example -- but I do all the pan sautes, all the grilling, all the toasting, boiling, frying.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Thu May 29, 2008 11:53 pm

Jenise wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:Yes, I agree! That would be a fun post to start in fact. What do you keep on hand in the freezer/pantry for "emergency" meals? (It's probably already been done, huh?)

I've never bought pre-seasoned chicken wings. Which ones do you like, and who makes the tequila lime? That sounds interesting. Our usual freezer emergency food is the Trident brand fish sticks from Costco. They're not just convenient, they're really really good. And I don't feel too guilty about serving them.

Jenise, they are Tyson. The tequila lime are very good. Not what you'd expect. You can get the big bags at Costco and smaller ones at Ralphs. Whatever flavor they are, I bake them about 15 minutes longer than the directions indicate, because we like them extra crispy. They are especially good to have on hand for house-guests who's flights were delayed on the way to see you, and all they've eaten all day was a bag of peanuts and an iced latte from the airport Starbucks.

I'll have to try those fish sticks! Wish we had a Costco in Pinehurst...
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
Previous