Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Grilled Pizza Article

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Grilled Pizza Article

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed May 28, 2008 1:15 pm

I've never done this, but have been contemplating purchasing a low-end gas grill this summer. And this makes me think I really should.

From the Washington Post

Excerpt:

For my money, a grilled pizza comes about as close as most homemade pies can get to true pizzeria quality. The intense heat of an open fire replicates the power of a commercial-grade (if not a wood-fired brick) oven, producing a beautifully crisp, lightly smoky crust.
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

Re: Grilled Pizza Article

by ScottD » Wed May 28, 2008 4:26 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I've never done this, but have been contemplating purchasing a low-end gas grill this summer. And this makes me think I really should.

From the Washington Post

Excerpt:

For my money, a grilled pizza comes about as close as most homemade pies can get to true pizzeria quality. The intense heat of an open fire replicates the power of a commercial-grade (if not a wood-fired brick) oven, producing a beautifully crisp, lightly smoky crust.

Cynthia, not sure which you've never done before; owned a gas grill of any sort, or owned ANY grill before, but I've done grilled pizza on everything from a 12" hibachi to a 28" Weber kettle to any number of x-quality gas grills... they all work for grilled, although I believe my fave was the Weber.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed May 28, 2008 4:42 pm

Oh, good grief, I wasn't clear at all. :oops:

Never made pizza on a grill before, which is surprising given my pizza obsession. I only have a tiny, tiny Weber charcoal grill at the moment, but was recently talking to someone about the virtues of obtaining a larger grill. Since I currently live alone, I don't often use the one I have because by the time I mess with the charcoal it all seems really pointless to make one of something when the coals are finally right, and I don't shop far enough ahead to make a lot of stuff and keep it in the fridge for the week. When I've had a gas grill in the past (or access to one), I used it much more because of the simplicity of on and off.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed May 28, 2008 5:47 pm

I'll try this, but honestly, the best grilled pizza I've ever had was done with a different method. The bottom WAS slightly burned, but pleasantly so, with the toppings hot and bubbling. I'll ask The Other Stupid to remind me how he did that.

It's probably peculiar to his Rolls Royce-grade grill.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Thu May 29, 2008 8:27 pm

I'll just say Pizza made in a BBQ is very good.

http://djardine.mooo.com/albums/bbq/P4160610.JPG

I need to do it more often.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that is not what ships were made for.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu May 29, 2008 8:43 pm

Duane, what are those large yellowish chunks of topping? Are they... pineapple?

If so, it may be really good, but it's not pizza. 8)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu May 29, 2008 8:54 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Duane, what are those large yellowish chunks of topping? Are they... pineapple?

Is that Rule No. 3?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu May 29, 2008 8:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Is that Rule No. 3?

Nope, not a rule at all. More like a Commandment. :wink:
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu May 29, 2008 9:35 pm

I used to do demonstrations for the GMC pavilion at the Memphis in May Barbecue Contest every year.

The last year I did it - 2006 - I did grilled pizza. I had one of these spiffy ten million dollar gas grills (I only cook on charcoal) that GMC had bought me for the event.

Almost killed me. As I gave out free samples, the smell seemed to be an attractant. And somebody was giving out the word.

As I (and my students) began pulling the pizzas off the grill the line in front of the pavilion grew.

We could get about 30 sample-size portions out of one pizza. We couldn't keep up.

I have a suspicion this is very close to what one can get nowadays in Naples.

I think if we would have had charcoal capability we would have had a riot on our hands.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Fri May 30, 2008 1:22 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Duane, what are those large yellowish chunks of topping? Are they... pineapple?

What is the matter Cynthia don't you like pineapple? My favorite pizza has bananas on it.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri May 30, 2008 7:16 am

It's not a matter of liking or not liking. It's whether the results can be called "pizza." The question is taxonomic, not gustatory.

I love ice cream and cherries, and if you cook a dough saucer and put ice cream and cherries on top of it, it will be very tasty. But it won't be pizza.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri May 30, 2008 9:21 am

Duane J wrote:What is the matter Cynthia don't you like pineapple? My favorite pizza has bananas on it.

I love pineapple. And bananas.

But they shouldn't be on something called pizza. ;)
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Fri May 30, 2008 2:47 pm

??? Not sure why pineapple is not allowed on pizza. Pizza starts with a great dough and then becomes a flavor carrier. We have used fruits on many pizzas. Raisins when using Italian sausage is a must as they complement each other.

I grill pizza on an outside gas grill be still use a stone. The nice thing is that you can usually get an outside grill up over 600 degrees where I only get 500 degrees inside. The hotter the better.

Walt
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri May 30, 2008 7:31 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Duane J wrote:What is the matter Cynthia don't you like pineapple? My favorite pizza has bananas on it.

I love pineapple. And bananas.

But they shouldn't be on something called pizza. ;)

I agree with you Cynthia! There is a kids dessert that is called Pizza, has chocolate chips, and all sorts of icky sugar stuff all over it. Ick! Can't take the fruit on pizza either.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri May 30, 2008 7:39 pm

pineapple and ham or Canadian bacon, as it's called here, is a great pizza flavor combo.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri May 30, 2008 9:29 pm

Fruit ain't got nothin' to do with pizza!

This is pizza:

Pizza

Pizza Napoletana
MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE COMMUNICATION
Summary: Proposal of recognition of the Specialita' Traditionale Garantita “Pizza Napoletana"
Date: 24-5-2004
Declaration:
The Ministry of Agricultural received the petition to register the classification of Specialita' Traditionale Garantita for the product “Pizza Napoletana,” as presented in the following Articles 1-13 of the regulation (EEC) number 2082/92, from the association Genuine Pizza Napoletana and from the association Pizza Napoletana, both headquarter in Naples, in order to create this product classification, and to distinguish it clearly from other similar products and to protect the consumer. We verify that the petition of production has been requested in the Italian language and the creation of the product obtained “according to the Italian tradition,” and will proceed with the publication of the text of the to methods of production.
Department of Agricultural Food Product Quality and Consumer Protection
Division QTC III
via XX September n. 20
00187 Rome
Thirty days from the date of publication in the official Gazette of the Italian Republic, the above-mentioned petition will be proposed to the European Commission.
THE METHOD OF PRODUCTION OF THE SPECIALITA' TRADITIONALE GARANTITA “PIZZA NAPOLETANA”
Article 1. Name of the product
The classification of “Pizza Napoletana STG,” following the Italian tradition and with the wording exclusively in the Italian language, is reserved to the product made using ovens and from businesses dedicated to the production of Pizza, defined as Pizzerias, and destined for the final consumer, with specific features specified as follows:
The Method
“Pizza Napoletana” is a food preparation made from a base of risen dough and cooked in a wood fire oven. The product is characterized both by the ingredient, means and technologies of production. In the designation “Pizza Napoletana” we define the following names: “Pizza Napoletana Marinara”, “Pizza Napoletana Margherita Extra” and “ Pizza Napoletana Margherita “.
Article 2. Ingredients
The products that provide the base for “Pizza Napoletana” include wheat flour type “00,” with the addition of flour type “0,” yeast, natural water, peeled tomatoes and/or fresh cherry tomatoes, marine salt, and extra virgin olive oil.
Other added ingredients can include, garlic and oregano for “Pizza Napoletana Marinara,” buffalo milk mozzarella, fresh basil and fresh tomatoes for “Pizza Napoletana Margherita Extra,” and mozzarella STG or fior di latte Appennino and fresh basil for “Pizza Napoletana Margherita.”
Article 3. Method of Production.
The preparation of “Pizza Napoletana” includes exclusively the following method of production used in a continuous cycle.
1) Preparation of the dough:
Blend flour, water, salt and yeast. Pour a liter of water into a mixer, dissolve between the 50 and the 55g of salt, add 10% of the total amount of flour, and then add 3g of hydrated yeast. Start the mixer, and then gradually add 1800 g of flour until you achievement of the desired dough consistency. Combining the ingredients should take 10 minutes.
Next, mix the dough at low speed for 20 minutes, until the dough forms a single ball. To obtain the optimal dough consistency, it is very important to control the quantity of water, such that the flour is able to absorb it all. The mixture should be sticky, soft and elastic to the touch.
The characteristic “merceologiche” of the flour used for “Pizza Napoletana” allow it to absorb from 50 to 55% of its weight in water to reach the optimal “point of pasta.” The resulting dough can be individualized by the abilities of the individual pizzaiolo.
The preparation of the dough in the mixer should be done without causing the dough to become warm.
2) Dough Rising:
First phase: remove the dough from the mixer, and place it on a surface in the pizzeria where it can be left to rest for 2 hours, covered from a damp cloth. In this manner the dough's surface cannot become harden, nor can it form a crust from the evaporation of the moisture released from the dough. The dough is left for the 2 hour rising in the form of a ball, which must be made by the pizzaiolo exclusively by hand.
With the aid of a spatula, cut from the mixture into smaller portions, which are then shaped onto a ball. For “Pizza Napoletana,” the dough balls must weigh between the 180 and the 250 g.
Second phase of the dough rising: Once the individual dough balls are formed, they are left in “rising boxes” for a second rising, which lasts from 4 to 6 hours. By controlling storage temperature, these dough balls can then be used at any time within the following 6 hours.
3) Forming the pizza base:
Following the second rising, the dough ball can be removed from the rising box using a spatula and placed on the cooking of the pizzeria, on a light layer of flour to keep the dough from sticking to the work bench. With a motion from the center to the outside, and with the pressure of the fingers of both the hands on the dough ball, which is turned over and around multiple times, the pizzaiolo forms a disk of dough that to the center the thickness is not more than 0.3 cm (.11 inch), and a border that is not greater than 1-2 cm (.4-.8 inch), forming a frame, or crust.
No other type of preparation is acceptable for the preparation of the “Pizza Napoletana STG." Specifically excluded is the use of a rolling pin and mechanical presses.
Features of the flour:
W 220-380
P/L .50-.70
G 22
Assorbimento 55-62
Stabilita' 4-12
Caduta E10 max 60
Falling number 300-400
Dry glutine 9.5-11%
Protein 11-12.5%
Features of the Dough:
Fermentation temperature 25C
Final PH 5.87
TA 0.14
Density 0.79g/cc (+34%)
4) Method: Assembling a Pizza.
Pizza Napoletana Marinara:
Using a spoon place 80g of pressed, peeled tomatoes in to the center of the pizza base, then using a spiraling motion, cover the entire surface of the base with the sauce;
Using a spiraling motion, add salt on the surface of the tomato sauce;
In the same manner, scatter a pinch of oregano;
Chop a thin slice of peeled garlic, and add it to the tomato;
Using an oil canister and a spiraling motion starting from the center and moving out, pour 4-5g of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Pizza Napoletana Margherita Extra:
Using a spoon place 60-80g of pressed, peeled tomatoes, or chopped fresh cherry tomatoes in to the center of the pizza base, then using a spiraling motion, cover the entire surface of the base with the sauce;
Spread 80-100g of sliced Mozzarella di bufola DOP so that it forms a connect lath pattern on the surface of the tomato sauce;
Spread on the fresh basil leaves;
Using an oil canister and a spiraling motion starting from the center and moving out, pour 4-5g of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Pizza Napoletana Margherita:
Using a spoon place 60-80g of pressed, peeled tomatoes, or chopped fresh cherry tomatoes in to the center of the pizza base, then using a spiraling motion, cover the entire surface of the base with the sauce;
Spread 80-100g of sliced Mozzarella STG, or fior di latte Appennino to that it forms a connect lath pattern on the surface of the tomato sauce;
Spread on the fresh basil leaves;
5) Cooking:
Using a wood or aluminum peel, and a little flour, the pizzaiolo transfers, the pizza using a rotary movement and a quick shake, on to the cooking surface of the oven without disturbing the prepared pizza. The cooking of the “Pizza Napoletana STG” must be done exclusively in a wood fire oven which has reached the cooking temperature of 485C, (905F), which is essential to cook the Pizza Napoletana.
The pizzaiolo should monitor the cooking of the pizza by lifting up its edge. Using a metal peel, the pizzaiolo rotates the pizza, changing the edge that is facing the fire, and taking care to always replace the pizza on the same spot on the cooking surface, to ensure that the pizza does not burn because it is exposed to different temperatures.
It is important that the pizza is cooked in uniform manner across its entire circumference.
At the conclusion of the cooking, the pizzaiolo removes the pizza from the oven with a metallic peel, and places it on a flat, dry work surface.
Cooking time should not surpass 60-90 seconds.
After the cooking, the pizza should have the following characteristics:
The tomato should have lost all excess water, and should be dense and consistent;
The mozzarella di bufola DOP or the mozzarella STG should be melted on the surface of the pizza;
The basil, garlic and the oregano will develop an intense aroma, and will appear brown, but not burned.
The following temperature guidelines should be followed:
Cooking surface temperature: 485C about.
Oven dome temperature: 430C about.
Cooking time: 60-90 seconds.
Temperature reached by the dough: 60-65C.
Temperature reached by the tomatoes: 75-80C.
Temperature reached by the oil: 75-85C.
Temperature reached from the mozzarella: 65-7C.
Article 4. Traditional character
The pizza, as represented by a base of dough on which you can place food and which functions as a plate, has been present in various forms in the excavations of almost every known ancient civilization. The term “pizza” was first used in Italy in 997 in the Codex cajetanus of Gaeta.
The true “Pizza Napoletana,” as it has come to be know in Naples, a base of dough that is covered with tomatoes was born after a specific historical moment: the discovery of the America, in 1492 by Cristoforo Colombo. It was the Genoan navigator that carried the tomato plant to Europe. In 1596 the tomato plant was exported to Naples from the Spain, where it was first used as an ornamental. The first historical documentation of the use of tomatoes in the cooking is found in “Gallant Cooking” (Naples - And. Raimondiane 1733) by Vincenzo Corrado, the chef to Prince Emanuele of Francavilla. The same Corrado, in a following treaty on the foods most commonly used in Naples, declares that the tomato was used for preparation of pizza and macaroni, helping create two products for both the good fortune of Naples and the history of cooking. We can take these as the first official appearance of the “Pizza Napoletana,” a base of dough covered with tomato.
The first pizzerias, without doubt, were born at Naples and until the middle the 1900s; pizza was an exclusive product of Naples and of its Pizzerias. Since 1700 there were shops in Naples called “pizzerias.” The fame of the Naples pizzeria began to grow when the king of Naples, Ferdinando of Bourbon, broke with the norm of the times, by entering the more renowned pizzerias to experience the traditional dish. From that moment, the “pizzeria” was transformed into a restaurant exclusively for the preparation of the “pizza”.
The pizzas most popular and famous in Naples are the “Marinara,” created in 1734, and the “Margherita,” created in 1796-1810 as an offering to the Queen of Italy during her visit to Naples in 1889. The colors of pizza (tomato, mozzarella and Basil) remember the flag of the Italy.
Over time, Pizzerias have sprung up all around Italy and abroad, but each of these still finds its roots in the surroundings of Naples. And they are all bound with the term “Neapolitan pizzeria,” in that they all recall in some manner their connection with Naples, where for almost 300 years this product has remained unchanged.
In May 1984, virtually all the old Napoletano Pizzaiuoli came together to draw up the method for the Pizza Napoletano, which was signed and officially recorded by the notary Antonio Carannante of Naples.
Article 5. Features of the final product
a. Description of the product:
“Pizza Napoletana” STG is presented as a product from the oven, round in shape, with a variable diameter than it should not surpass 35 cm, (14 inches), with the edge raised (crust), and with the central covered by the ingredients. The central of the pizza base will be 0.3 cm, (.11 inch thick), with crust 1-2 cm (.4-.8 inch). The pizza should be soft, elastic, and easily foldable into “booklet”.
b. Appearance: “Pizza Napoletana” STG is characterized by a raised crust of golden color “g a definite product from oven, soft to the touch and to the mouth. The ingredients framed in the center of the pizza by the red one of the tomato are perfectly blended with the olive oil.
Marinara, the green of the oregano and the white one of the garlic;
Pizza Margherita, the white one of the mozzarella browned all over, and the green one of the basil in leaves darkened from cooking.
The consistency should be soft, elastic, and bendable. The product is presented soft to the slice, with the characteristic flavors, a crust that presents the flavors of well-prepared and baked bread, the mixed flavors of the tomatoes, the aromas of the of the oregano, the garlic and the basil, and the flavors of the cooked mozzarella. The pizza, as it emerges from the oven, delivers the characteristic aroma “g perfumed and fragrant.
c. Chemical Analysis
Pizza Napoletana STG tipo Marinara
ANALISI DI PRODOTTO CARATTERISTICHE NUTRIZIONALI
g/100 g Kcal/100 g Kjoule/100

Carbiodrati 25.48 102 432.4
Proteine 4.04 16.16 68.5
Lipidi 3.48 31.31 132.8
Valore energetico/100 g 149.47 633.79

Pizza napoletana STG tipo Margherita

Carbiodrati 19.31 77.26 327.58
Proteine 8.05 32.21 136.6
Lipidi 7.39 66.56 282.21
Valore energetico/100 g 176.03 746.39

Pizza napoletana STG tipo Margherita extra

Carbiodrati 19.31 77.24 327.5
Proteine 8.32 35.28 149.58
Lipidi 8.39 75.52 320.2
Valore energetico/100 g 188.04 797.28
Article 6. Storage
The Pizza Napoletana should be consumed immediately, straight out of the oven, at the pizzeria. If the pizza were removed from the pizzeria to be eaten later, it would not longer carry the mark of a true “Pizza Napoletana.”
Article 7. Signage and Brand
The pizzerias that are certified to produce true “Pizza Napoletana” STG can display the logo described below:
The logo contains a profile of the gulf of Naples with Mount Vesuvius in red, along with a pizza containing the essential ingredient. A green border encircles the graphic. Under the graphic the text states Pizza (in green) Neapolitan (in red), where the acronym STG appears in white in the second bar of the letter N.
Article 8. Monitoring
Pizzerias wanting certification for the STG “Pizza Napoletana” will be checked for the following standards: the correct methods and phases of mixture, rising and preparing the dough, as described above; monitoring closely the critical points (HACCP); verifying the usage of the ingredients and the methods outlined above; verifying the right storage and use ingredients (HACCP); checking that the pizzeria is following the structure outlined in the previous articles.
14 of the regulation (EEC) n. 2082/92.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri May 30, 2008 9:32 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Fruit ain't got nothin' to do with pizza!

Uh-oh! It scares me when I agree with Joseph on anything. ;)
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Fri May 30, 2008 11:17 pm

Oh the great pizza controversy! I found out about the Italian official definition of pizza today, never knew about it before. I do like words to be used according to their proper definition. There is another problem and that is language and the meanings of words is always changing. The average person on the street would say that my picture was of a pizza. The problem is so bad that every pizza place I googled today has Pineapple on pizza. I would think that the corruption of the word is beyond repair.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri May 30, 2008 11:28 pm

Yeah, well... Raw fish ain't got nuthin' to do with cooking either, yet otherwise sane and intelligent folks go gaga over sushi and sashimi, with all the associated risks of wormy parasites and bacteria, to say nuthin' about raw oysters. :roll: If it's on a pizza crust, as long as it tastes good, it's pizza.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat May 31, 2008 12:13 am

Duane J wrote: The average person on the street would say that my picture was of a pizza.

Which just shows you can't trust the Average American to know what they are talking about! :D

Duane J wrote:I would think that the corruption of the word is beyond repair

I fear you may be correct. *sigh*

:lol:
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat May 31, 2008 12:17 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
ChefJCarey wrote:Fruit ain't got nothin' to do with pizza!

Uh-oh! It scares me when I agree with Joseph on anything. ;)

Ah, you're just posturing for the peons.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat May 31, 2008 12:35 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:

Yeah, well... Raw fish ain't got nuthin' to do with cooking either, yet otherwise sane and intelligent folks go gaga over sushi and sashimi, with all the associated risks of wormy parasites and bacteria, to say nuthin' about raw oysters. :roll: If it's on a pizza crust, as long as it tastes good, it's pizza.

No, it's not. It's something that tastes good to you or something you like - I have no problem with anyone's individual tastes. If you call a tomato a rock, it doesn't make it a rock.

If one piles a bunch of shit on top of a piece of flat bread and says "Voila, pizza!" it doesn't mean it is in fact a pizza.

Doesn't make that concoction any more a pizza than going to war by saying a country has weapons of mass destruction when you're lying through your goddamn teeth a legitimate construct.

This was a food developed at a very specific place and time with a very specific name and specific ingredients.

Here, I'm going to serve you some chocolate pudding, but I'm calling it split pea soup. Okay? That will be what we will call it from now on. Cool?

It is a real thing and not some American bastardized bullshit, corporate, mass produced, assembly line version of it.

Other than that we are incomplete agreement.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat May 31, 2008 8:25 am

Great thread.
If anyone would like to do some enjoyable reading on the subject, I can recommend "A Slice of Heaven," by Ed Levine. The book traces the history of pizza, touches on the Neapolitan rules, discusses the various styles of pizza by geography, and gives some examples of the best pizza available today. It is the type of book that can be read out of sequence, so I'm not all the way through it, but what I've digested so far has been very well done.

The author makes the point that for a few generations now, chain pizza, e.g. Domino's, Little Caesar's, has become the benchmark for many who have never had the real thing. He relays a story of being in Pizzeria Bianco, in Phoenix, considered by some to be the best pizza in the USA, and overhearing a compliment paid to the owner by a young fellow who'd just eaten there. "Your pizza rocks, dude. It's better than Pizza Hut."
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat May 31, 2008 8:32 am

Back to the original post, we've done grilled pizza in the past, and have been pretty happy with the results.
We don't use a stone on the grill, but put the dough directly on the well oiled, pre heated grates, and let it set for a minute or two. Then we flip the dough so that the partially cooked side is up (if not done at the right point this can turn into a fiasco, as you can well imagine) and quickly sauce it and drop the cheese on top. Then we close the hood of the grill and finish the pie.
For my money, it makes a tasty pie but isn't worth the extra hassle.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
Next