Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Grilled Pizza Article

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Grilled Pizza Article

by Dave R » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:46 am

Stuart,

If I put Spanish olives on a pizza would that disqualify the dish from being called pizza? Sure, they are olives, but they are Spanish and not Italian olives.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:06 am

Dave R wrote:Stuart,

If I put Spanish olives on a pizza would that disqualify the dish from being called pizza? Sure, they are olives, but they are Spanish and not Italian olives.

Obviously that could not be a pizza. I make a Southwest pizza with corn, beans, tomato, cilantro and cheddar cheese. This is so wrong that I will not be able to make it anymore.
Walt
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:31 am

wrcstl wrote:
I make a Southwest pizza with corn, beans, tomato, cilantro and cheddar cheese. This is so wrong that I will not be able to make it anymore.
Walt

You keep having impure thoughts like that and the pizza allah will strike you dead. You would be wise to spend the rest of your days repenting or there won't be 72 virgins waiting for you in heaven!
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:37 am

Walt, Walt, Walt. Have I been that unclear in my writing? If so, my bad. I didn't say that the ingredients had to be FROM Italy, they just have to be Italian ingredients. Pears, figs, tomatoes, pine nuts, bacon... that's all stuff used in Italian cooking. It doesn't matter if it was grown in New Jersey. It's still pizza.

And I'm afraid that I need again to remind you of the difference between a roadmap and a road. We're talking about TAXONOMY, not taste. The southwestern pizzolatta you describe is no doubt wonderful (and you can make it for me anytime). Just because it can't be called "pizza" doesn't mean it tastes any different.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:51 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Walt, Walt, Walt. Have I been that unclear in my writing? If so, my bad. I didn't say that the ingredients had to be FROM Italy, they just have to be Italian ingredients. Pears, figs, tomatoes, pine nuts, bacon... that's all stuff used in Italian cooking. It doesn't matter if it was grown in New Jersey. It's still pizza.

And I'm afraid that I need again to remind you of the difference between a roadmap and a road. We're talking about TAXONOMY, not taste. The southwestern pizzolatta you describe is no doubt wonderful (and you can make it for me anytime). Just because it can't be called "pizza" doesn't mean it tastes any different.

DEAD BUG!!! I just don't know what to call the stuff I make, maybe "flatbread with all kinds of crap on it". I was so looking forward to all those virgins.
Walt
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:07 pm

"Pizzolatta." I had the focus group working overtime to qualify that one.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:31 pm

wrcstl wrote:I make a Southwest pizza with corn, beans, tomato, cilantro and cheddar cheese. This is so wrong that I will not be able to make it anymore.

The reason that is so wrong is that you put that nasty soap weed on it! :evil:
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:48 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
wrcstl wrote:I make a Southwest pizza with corn, beans, tomato, cilantro and cheddar cheese. This is so wrong that I will not be able to make it anymore.

The reason that is so wrong is that you put that nasty soap weed on it! :evil:

If you do not like cilantro don't ever go to Mexico, it is a cooking staple.
Walt
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:08 pm

wrcstl wrote:If you do not like cilantro don't ever go to Mexico, it is a cooking staple.

Nor should she ever order Thai or Vietnamese food, and that would be a shame!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:05 pm

It is a peril of my daily existence here in Santa Fe. I learned very quickly which restaurants used it and in what dishes.

Same with the Vietnamese and Thai dishes. Not every one incorporates it. One just needs to be careful!! :D
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:20 pm

For years my three kids have asked that I grill pizza for their birthday parties. I've always been startled by the number of kids who said they've never had it. Liz makes the dough and I do the grilling with just a few toppings, mainly cheese. It really can't be beat.
Previous