Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Weekend Cooking/Baking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Weekend Cooking/Baking?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri May 30, 2008 10:57 am

Tonight is dinner out with some colleagues/friends at an Asian fusion place we like. But over the weekend I will be making a new recipe for Linzertorte that uses half raspberry jam and half red chile jam. And of course, tomorrow is Pizza Night, because it's Saturday, and because I've only had it twice this week. Maybe some rye bread too. Other than that, I have no idea at all.

What are you making this weekend?
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Weekend Cooking/Baking?

by Dave R » Fri May 30, 2008 11:22 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote: Maybe some rye bread too.

Mmmm...I love rye bread. Do you put any spices in your dough?

What are you making this weekend?

Tonight my Girlfriend is cooking so that means making dinner reservations. Tomorrow I want to try making Nuclear Camel Turds. Sunday probably grilled pork tenderloin with chimichurri.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri May 30, 2008 12:04 pm

OK, I have to ask... are these like Armadillo Droppings?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Fri May 30, 2008 1:24 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:OK, I have to ask... are these like Armadillo Droppings?

I've never heard of Armadillo Droppings.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri May 30, 2008 2:23 pm

Busy weekend, but I plan on grilling some Chiavetta's chicken on Sunday.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri May 30, 2008 2:52 pm

Dave R wrote:

Here.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri May 30, 2008 7:02 pm

Stuart, I was salivating over the tomato slices http://www.flickr.com/photos/yaniger/1513650663/in/set-72157602891175622/. But I have to ask, was the green tomato ripe, and what variety is it? Also, I love that stone mortar & pestle in the background.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri May 30, 2008 7:15 pm

Oh, very much so. The tomato farmer I get these from grows them in just about every color and pattern imaginable. She's monomaniacal and something of a genius. I can hardly wait until she opens in July!

The greens ones are still very sweet and have fully developed flavors; when they ripen, they get that beautiful pink center.

And that's The Other Stupid's kitchen. He's got that mortar for salt and spices, and a molcajete for grinding stuff like pesto or chiles. It's a real pleasure to work in there.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri May 30, 2008 7:26 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:Stuart, I was salivating over the tomato slices http://www.flickr.com/photos/yaniger/1513650663/in/set-72157602891175622/. But I have to ask, was the green tomato ripe, and what variety is it? Also, I love that stone mortar & pestle in the background.

I wonder if that beautiful tomato is the German Stripe? I grew that last year and again this year. Is was similar to the picture.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri May 30, 2008 7:42 pm

Maybe. I'll ask Suzy when I see her.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri May 30, 2008 8:13 pm

Tonight, dinner is wild Stikine King Salmon Fillets with a dry rub, grilled on a plank. Also on grill, are sugar snap peas, carrots and green garlic. For the first time, I'm trying a oven baked risotto, with Arborio rice, chicken broth, lemon juice and zest, cherry toms, fresh garden peas and sweet basil.

Over the weekend I'm baking muffins with dried apricots, buttermilk, grand Marnier, white chocolate chips and apricot preserves.

Not sure about dinner but I have a cross rib chuck roast in the freezer that I want to do something with. Our weather is warming up and for some reason I have a jones for pot roast - go figure. I think I will marinate it for 24 hours, and cook in a grill pan along with some tiny Yukon gold spuds, with a lemony baste. Maybe some grilled asparagus on the side.

Saturday night might be some pork chops grilled, with home made applesauce and garden green salad.
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri May 30, 2008 8:49 pm

Tonight is Tony's request--BBQ chicken, baked beans and a spinach salad.

Tomorrow we're having dinner over at a fellow wine-making buddy of ours. No doubt there will be an obscene amount of grilled foods and wine.

Haven't decided for Sunday yet....But, I'm thinking Paella.
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri May 30, 2008 8:50 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Oh, very much so. The tomato farmer I get these from grows them in just about every color and pattern imaginable. She's monomaniacal and something of a genius. I can hardly wait until she opens in July!

The greens ones are still very sweet and have fully developed flavors; when they ripen, they get that beautiful pink center.

And that's The Other Stupid's kitchen. He's got that mortar for salt and spices, and a molcajete for grinding stuff like pesto or chiles. It's a real pleasure to work in there.

I can hardly wait 'til she opens, too! We have to plan a few tomato fests!
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri May 30, 2008 8:54 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Tonight, dinner is wild Stikine King Salmon Fillets with a dry rub, grilled on a plank. Also on grill, are sugar snap peas, carrots and green garlic. For the first time, I'm trying a oven baked risotto, with Arborio rice, chicken broth, lemon juice and zest, cherry toms, fresh garden peas and sweet basil.

Over the weekend I'm baking muffins with dried apricots, buttermilk, grand Marnier, white chocolate chips and apricot preserves.

Not sure about dinner but I have a cross rib chuck roast in the freezer that I want to do something with. Our weather is warming up and for some reason I have a jones for pot roast - go figure. I think I will marinate it for 24 hours, and cook in a grill pan along with some tiny Yukon gold spuds, with a lemony baste. Maybe some grilled asparagus on the side.

Saturday night might be some pork chops grilled, with home made applesauce and garden green salad.

Karen...I do a sort of oven-baked risotto. It's pretty much a basic risotto, cooked about halfway. Then, I stir in a lot of cheese and a little cream and slide it into a 500F oven. Bake for about 15 minutes, then a quick run under the broiler. You get all that yummy crispy cheese on top!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri May 30, 2008 8:59 pm

My risotto is in the oven now and will be ready before the salmon is....so, thanks, I will do some parmesan cheese on top and run under the broiler a bit. Yummy!
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Fri May 30, 2008 11:23 pm

I have my sourdough preferment bubbling away for a new bread formula. The formula has a little bit of rye in it so I'm curious as to how it is going to turn out.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that is not what ships were made for.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri May 30, 2008 11:23 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Tonight, dinner is wild Stikine King Salmon Fillets with a dry rub, grilled on a plank. Also on grill, are sugar snap peas, carrots and green garlic. For the first time, I'm trying a oven baked risotto, with Arborio rice, chicken broth, lemon juice and zest, cherry toms, fresh garden peas and sweet basil.

What sort of dry rub do you use on salmon? I'm curious, as I don't have much experience with fish of any kind other than sticking it under a broiler, or cornmeal breading and fry it (as my parents always cooked fish - maybe that's why I have such a hard time eating it now). I'm assuming any cedar plank from the lumberyard would work, as long as it's clean?
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat May 31, 2008 12:16 am

Duane J wrote: The formula has a little bit of rye in it so I'm curious as to how it is going to turn out.

I bet it will be absolutely delicious!

Dave, whether I put spices in the dough depends on what the purpose of my rye bread is. I love seeded rye for sandwiches.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat May 31, 2008 9:38 am

The Armadillo Droppings reminded of a candy when I was young: coal candy, complete with a hammer. You can find it, with different packaging, at http://www.hometownfavorites.com Click on the candy store and enter "coal."
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat May 31, 2008 11:24 am

Just started formulating tonight's supper. It will be some kind of braised short rib dish, but I'm not sure exactly what yet. Probably with either mashed or smashed/roasted potatoes and some light vegetable thing.

We're going out tomorrow night.

BTW, those tomatoes look great, Stuart. They've started showing up here as well but I was a little gun-shy, wondering if it was too early. I'll give them a try.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat May 31, 2008 4:41 pm

Those are from last year. WAY too early yet. But if you find something great, let me know, I'm dyin' for some good tomatoes.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Sat May 31, 2008 6:45 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:
Dave R wrote:

Here.

Totally different. The Nuclear Camel Turd is a date stuffed with cheese and sliced almonds which is stuffed in a jalapeno pepper and then wrapped in bacon and grilled.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat May 31, 2008 7:34 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:

What sort of dry rub do you use on salmon? I'm curious, as I don't have much experience with fish of any kind other than sticking it under a broiler, or cornmeal breading and fry it (as my parents always cooked fish - maybe that's why I have such a hard time eating it now). I'm assuming any cedar plank from the lumberyard would work, as long as it's clean?

This is what I did:
2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried tarragon
1tsp fresh lime peel

This was ok but overpowered the salmon. I like trying new things but have decided I like all my grilled fish with a little EVOO, salt, pepper, and a drizzle of lemon just before serving. I like several sauces I have tried with salmon, however. The salmon tastes like it should and I can dip a little sauce on for another layer of flavor.
Cedar planks for a lumber yard are fine as long as it is not treated. However, the manufactured planks for fish have come down a lot, and if you buy them on sale, you get a nicely finished product
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat May 31, 2008 7:56 pm

The Nuclear Camel Turd is a date stuffed with cheese and sliced almonds which is stuffed in a jalapeno pepper and then wrapped in bacon and grilled.

Served with turducken, presumably?
Next