Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

matching- lamb with mint and mustard

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

matching- lamb with mint and mustard

by Dale Williams » Sat May 31, 2008 8:28 pm

Betsy has been away couple days. Due back tomorrow. In tomorrow's NYT mag, there is a nice article on a monthly block-party/potluck. One of the recipes (I was going to link, but not online, at least yet) is for a lamb dish that appealed to me. So I just marinated 3 lbs of butterflied leg of lamb (a puree of mint, onion, and dry mustard, then olive oil to make a paste). To be grilled tomorrow night. Now, lamb is one of my favorite backdrop for many reds (Bdx is usually first thought, but Rioja too, and things like herbs can make me think Rhone,or even Burgundy or Zinfandel).
But mint I think goes better with whites. Although I doubt it is dominant here.
And the dry mustard (I used Colmans) is a real wildcard. My guess is there will be just a hint of heat/piquancy.
So, I think that obviously red. But I'm thinking with the mint and mustard I'm not going to want :
a)big
b) lush
My thoughts are higher acid, a spicier wine, more midweight than bruiser. Cru Beaujolais, Ruche, Rioja, Loire Cab Franc, etc.
Thoughts?
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: matching- lamb with mint and mustard

by John Treder » Sat May 31, 2008 10:08 pm

I agree with your direction - Southern Rhone, maybe Vacqueyras, Cab Franc, etc. I had an interesting Carmenere from Chile that was very Cab Franc-ish and might fit the bill. Emiliana Vineyards "Natura" Valle Colchagua, Carmenere, organically grown, 2006, $9.99 at BevMo.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:08 am

I agree with your assessment: mid-weight wine with good acidity, like Rioja or Loire.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:10 am

Dale, that sounds like a great recipe. I may have to look for it online soon. I even have the sirloin half of a leg of lamb in my freezer that I want to use up.

I know you're not envisioning a "bruiser" of a wine, but the first wine that came to my mind for some reason was Malbec.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:35 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Betsy has been away couple days. Due back tomorrow. In tomorrow's NYT mag, there is a nice article on a monthly block-party/potluck. One of the recipes (I was going to link, but not online, at least yet) is for a lamb dish that appealed to me. So I just marinated 3 lbs of butterflied leg of lamb (a puree of mint, onion, and dry mustard, then olive oil to make a paste). To be grilled tomorrow night. Now, lamb is one of my favorite backdrop for many reds (Bdx is usually first thought, but Rioja too, and things like herbs can make me think Rhone,or even Burgundy or Zinfandel).
But mint I think goes better with whites. Although I doubt it is dominant here.
And the dry mustard (I used Colmans) is a real wildcard. My guess is there will be just a hint of heat/piquancy.
So, I think that obviously red. But I'm thinking with the mint and mustard I'm not going to want :
a)big
b) lush
My thoughts are higher acid, a spicier wine, more midweight than bruiser. Cru Beaujolais, Ruche, Rioja, Loire Cab Franc, etc.
Thoughts?

I go the other way completely, Dale. For me, grilled lamb is syrah territory, and there's nothing about mint or mustard that argues against it to my tastes. Without the honey and onions, it's probably more elegant and less forceful than this recipe http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7268&p=57599&hilit=lamb+honey#p57599 but I'd still go big and bold. Cabernet (mustard loves cab and mint is a very agreeable herb), or an herbaceous Bordeaux like the 99 Cantemerle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:55 am

I went with the Cab Franc idea, an excellent bottle of 2005 Filliatreau "Grande Vignolle" Saumur-Champigny. Went very well. Would have been fine with Syrah, too. Recipe is now online, put it below. I'd be cautious of those times, seem long to me. I cut the times severely (maybe 5 minutes a side to brown, 10 minutes of indirect) as I was only doing a 2.5-3 lb piece, and still was a bit doner than my ideal.

Recipe: Mint-and-Mustard-Marinated Lamb
1 white onion, chopped

Leaves from 1 bunch mint, plus 1/4 cup packed leaves, finely chopped

2 tablespoons dry mustard

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1 (4-to-5-pound) butterflied leg of lamb, trimmed of all but a thin layer of fat

10 tablespoons butter

4 cloves garlic, minced

Salt and freshly ground black pepper.

1. Two days or the night before serving, purée the onion, mint leaves and dry mustard in a food processor. With the processor running, add the olive oil in a slow and steady stream. Place the lamb in a large sealable plastic bag and cover in the marinade. Refrigerate for up to 2 days, squeezing the bag from time to time to distribute the marinade.

2. One hour before grilling, set the lamb at room temperature. Using charcoal briquettes, prepare an intense fire on one-third of the grill. While it heats, combine the butter, garlic and chopped mint in a small saucepan. Warm over a low flame until the butter melts.

3. Pat the lamb dry, and season all over with salt and pepper. Place lamb on the hot portion of the grill, and cook for 6 to 8 minutes until browned; turn and cook for 5 to 7 minutes more. Move the lamb to the cool side of the grill, brush it with the butter mixture, cover the grill and cook until the internal temperature reads 125 to 130 degrees for medium rare, turning and basting with butter occasionally, 24 to 34 minutes more. Place on a warm platter and loosely cover with foil for 15 minutes before carving. Serves 8 to 10. From Len Banda, adapted from “Joy of Cooking.”