Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

0 Fat Greek Yogurt - Not Bad!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

0 Fat Greek Yogurt - Not Bad!

by Maria Samms » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:33 am

I rarely use anything low-fat or fat-free because I just think it tastes terrible. But a few weeks ago, I made several Fat-free meals for my Sister-in-law who has Gall bladder disease. I had a whole tub of the Fat-free Greek yogurt left over. I decided to make a Tzatziki sauce with it...it was pretty good (I did add Olive Oil though). Since then, I have used the yogurt to substitute for many things I would normally use sour cream for, ie, on a baked potato, in a dip for chips and as a cucumber dill sauce for salmon. I have to say, it is not bad at all. Of course, nothing can replace the taste of full fat, but if there are many other strong flavors, I found I don't miss the richness.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: 0 Fat Greek Yogurt - Not Bad!

by Robert J. » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:50 am

Maria, what brand of yogurt is this? I use a brand called Fage (pronounced: Fah-yeh) that is a Greek strained yogurt. They have whole, 2%, and fat-free. I love them all but use the fat-free for my own personal consumption. The stuff just plain rocks!

rwj
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:19 am

Hey Robert, have you tried the Fage with the sidecar of honey? That honey is excellent. I love dipping my spoon into the honey and then taking a scoop of the yogurt. That stuff is heaven!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:34 am

Robert J. wrote:Maria, what brand of yogurt is this? I use a brand called Fage (pronounced: Fah-yeh) that is a Greek strained yogurt. They have whole, 2%, and fat-free. I love them all but use the fat-free for my own personal consumption. The stuff just plain rocks!

Agree! I don't know how they can make that stuff taste so succulently, well, fatty, if it has no fat in it. We like the Oikos brand, which is an organic Greek-style yogurt made by Stonyfield Farm.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:40 pm

Yes Robert...it is the Fage. Thanks for the pronunciation too.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:22 pm

I adore Fage to make Greek Dessert - yogurt drizzled with honey and sprinkled with chopped nuts. Have never tried their fat free.
I do put fat free commercial yogurt - Dannon- in a coffee filter lined sieve and let it drain for 24 hours. Adding a tablespoon of half and half riches it up considerably and is much cheaper than Fage.
I've got a container of Dannon Activa straining right now. I love the acidity but hate the texture. Why do they have to add cornstarch ???
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:13 pm

Robert J. wrote:The stuff just plain rocks!

rwj

It should for how expensive it is.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:59 pm

I had to pop down to the fridge to see the brand of fat-free Greek yoghurt I use, which goes under the brand name Total here in UK, and see that it is made by FAGE - branding is slightly different from the USA label which I looked at on the US version of their site. UK packaging is here http://www.totalgreekyoghurt.com/site/products_137.aspx

Only ingredients are milk and yoghurt culture.

If I want a flavoured yoghurt I just add a spoonful of jam, and sometimes some nuts. If is not sweet enough then add some honey like the Greeks do.

Tonight I had it with some strawberries. Its good. Expensive? I don't think so, expensive against artificial ghastly sweet yoghurts filled with sugar, artificial colouring and flavours, maybe, but I wouldn't buy them if I couldn't get Total..
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:12 am

Christina Georgina wrote:I adore Fage to make Greek Dessert - yogurt drizzled with honey and sprinkled with chopped nuts. Have never tried their fat free.

I do something similar with poached apricots and pistachios.

rwj