Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Kitchen Chore I hate

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Kitchen Chore I hate

by John F » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:50 pm

emptying the dishwasher.

I just find it really annoying. Usually it's because I go to put something dirty in the dishwasher only to see that it's full...and then I have to stop everything and put everything away and little bits of hot water are bouncing around and I can't remember where everything goes and I get no sense of satisfaction and.....well you get it

Just thought I'd get that off my chest
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Kitchen Chore I hate

by Carrie L. » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:11 pm

Oh my gosh, John. I had the very same epiphany and probably at the exact same time that you did. Had to unload it to get the breakfast dishes in there before starting dinner. Ugh. Nothing worse. No satisfaction because the results are behind closed cabinets!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:11 pm

I'd rather empty it than fill it in the first place!
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:13 pm

Wow, John, I posted that very rant a year or two ago! But now that I've moved, I have no dishwasher, so can't complain about it anymore. :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:51 am

John F wrote:emptying the dishwasher.

I just find it really annoying. Usually it's because I go to put something dirty in the dishwasher only to see that it's full...and then I have to stop everything and put everything away and little bits of hot water are bouncing around and I can't remember where everything goes and I get no sense of satisfaction and.....well you get it

Just thought I'd get that off my chest

I have the same problem. I don't know why I balk at it--when I time it, it only takes about three minutes. Yet, somehow I put off spending those three minutes....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:14 am

As soon as I saw the subject I thought "emptying dishwasher". Imagine my surprise. I thought I might be the only one. And while we were dishwasher free for a while and doing dishes by hand my reply would have been putting away the dishes. I don't know what it is that I find so repellent in such a innocuous activity.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:36 am

Washing stemware. Partially because I am so clumsy and partially because I am a perfectionist and cannot tollerate it if I leave even the smallest little water spot on the glass.
Last edited by Dave R on Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Leslie D.

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:40 pm

by Leslie D. » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:21 pm

I also hate putting dishes away.

For some reason, the other chores I can't stand are peeling potatoes and grating cheese. And I have a great cheese grater and a good vegetable peeler.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:26 pm

For me, it's doing anything with the blender: We have no counter space, so the blender is packed into its original box and stuffed onto a high shelf -- above the fridge, under the mandolin. Much as I love my pesto and my hollandaise, it's just so much huzzah getting that thing down, unpacking it, and then later reversing it all.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:20 am

Funny, when She-who-must-be-obeyed is in charge of the galley, she fills up the dishwasher until it is groaning and there aren't any more dishes or cutlery to be had, before turning it on.

When she is away, I use one set of utensils, one wine glass and one plate, and I (novel idea, I know) wash them after each meal. And SWMBO acts so surprised when she gets back and there isn't a mess.

I don't think this is a man/woman sort of thing. Maybe mankind is divided into wash as you go and wash as seldom as possible types?
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:57 pm

I dream of just having a dishwasher door with nothing behind it so when I 'fill' the dishwasher, things just go out into a deep hole in the yard. I wash all the good stuff by hand anyway.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:28 pm

I hate peeling and deveining shrimp. What a pita. And I'm kind of obsessive about it, so I devein them front and back.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:27 pm

Maybe mankind is divided into wash as you go and wash as seldom as possible types?

Nah, with me it's when-the-sink-overflows, then-load-and-run-the-diswasher.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:32 pm

My answer was the same a year or so ago -- hated emptying the dishwasher. Now I actually enjoy it.

I broke down the steps of emptying and found I enjoyed everything except putting the silverware away. So I stopped.

Now I add silverware and wash it along with the other but only empty the other stuff -- four loads fills the silverware container and I have to empty it.

BUT, now I have almost full sets of spoons, three sizes/types, forks, two sizes/types, knives three sizes/types. Sorting them out is a snap, and filling up the drawer sections is very satisfying.

And for sure the silverware is clean at no additional cost in water, energy or detergent.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:24 pm

I have an answer for those of you who hate emptying the dishwasher.

Go get a job as the pot and pan washer in a busy restaurant for a month or so. Emptying the dishwasher may become your favorite hobby.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:51 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Go get a job as the pot and pan washer in a busy restaurant for a month or so. Emptying the dishwasher may become your favorite hobby.

Ain't that the truth! Been there and done that.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:14 am

Once a year, cleaning out the fridge. Wiping down the surfaces, cleaning the bins and shelves. Yuck.

Maybe worse is cleaning behind the fridge, somehting I do maybe once every 5 years.

The oven? Forget it. And I never broil because I do not want to deal with a greasy broiler pan.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:46 pm

John, I'm with you.

I dreanm ofthe day when I win the lottery and get a house I can design. I'll have a kitchen with 2 dishwashers. Never empty a dishwasher again, just take the clean stuff out one when required and put dirty stuff in other dishwasher.

Meantime I just discovered a time saver.

Don't laugh, you probaby have been doing it for every.

Instead of mixing the cutlery, I now put all the knives in one compartment of the cutkery basket, all the forks in an other, big spoons in another etc etc

Then I can just grab a compartment at a time when emptying and put them in the correct drawer compartment.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:59 pm

Peter May wrote:Meantime I just discovered a time saver.

Don't laugh, you probaby have been doing it for every.

Instead of mixing the cutlery, I now put all the knives in one compartment of the cutkery basket, all the forks in an other, big spoons in another etc etc

Then I can just grab a compartment at a time when emptying and put them in the correct drawer compartment.

Peter,

Not sure how I understand this as a time saver. Sorting is sorting. You either do it front end by putting eack piece in the proper compartment in the dishwasher or you sort on the back end when you sort them into the drawer. Of course, I'm probably missing something as usual.

BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:45 am

Well, there's just two of us, so after a meal there's - say 2 knives and 2 forks. If I put the knives in the same dishwasher basket compartment & etc then when the dishwasher is full I switch it on.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 pm

I can't really think of one. I love to cook and cleaning just comes with the territory. Pots, pans, dishes, utensils; all are the equipment of my trade and livelihood and I respect my equipment. It actually warms my heart to, after a meal, clean this sanctuary of sorts.

rwj