Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What makes you bypass a recipe?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: What makes you bypass a recipe?

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:51 pm

Yup, yup: deep-frying and pre-fab foods. Those are no-no's!

Most everything else is negotiable... if I haven't done it before, well, somedays it's a challenge and somedays it's a pass; if it's expensive..., if it's out of my experience..., if it's still living..., this is all within bounds.

I suppose there is something to be said about looking for a recipe for tonight's dinner and having to pass on a lovely recipe that takes three days of prep time. (Anyone hang a duck in their fridge before roasting it over a pan of jasmine tea?)
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:57 pm

I don't pass on deep frying. I made french fries last night using the two different fry temperatures method and they were quite good. I realize that I can get fries most anywhere, but not this nice.

As far as the oil goes, I have friends who turn it into biodiesel so I have a way to use it up.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:37 pm

Janet says "No."

Otherwise, I'm game for anything. One of our favorites is a tuna casserole with Campbell's cream of celery or mushroom soup -- sometimes souped up ala Mike and Jenise.

PS:

Tuna Noodle Casserole (from the May 2004 issue of Gourmet magazine via Epicurious.com):

1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter (total)
10 oz mushrooms, trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick (4 cups)
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/4 cup Sherry
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (6-oz) can tuna in olive oil, drained
6 oz dried curly egg noodles (preferably Pennsylvania Dutch style; about 3 1/4 cups)
1 1/2 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs (from 3 slices firm white sandwich bread)
4 oz coarsely grated Cheddar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish.

Cook onion in 1 1/2 tablespoons butter with a pinch of salt in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat, covered, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to moderately high and add mushrooms, then saute, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms begin to give off liquid, about 2 minutes. Add soy sauce and continue to saute mushrooms, stirring, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated. Add Sherry and boil, stirring occasionally, until evaporated. Remove from heat.

Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a 2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat and whisk in flour, then cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes. Add broth in a stream, whisking, and bring to a boil, whisking. Whisk in milk and simmer sauce, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in mushroom mixture, lemon juice, and salt. Flake tuna into sauce and stir gently. Season sauce with salt and pepper.

Cook noodles in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain noodles and return to pot. Add sauce and stir gently to combine. Transfer mixture to baking dish, spreading evenly.

Toss together bread crumbs and cheese in a bowl. Drizzle with oil and toss again, then sprinkle evenly over casserole. Bake until topping is crisp and sauce is bubbling, 20 to 30 minutes.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Mike
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:46 am

I usually just use recipes for ideas. The only ones I follow to a T are for pastries and cakes.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:44 am

Greg Hollis wrote:I don't pass on deep frying. I made french fries last night using the two different fry temperatures method and they were quite good. I realize that I can get fries most anywhere, but not this nice.

As far as the oil goes, I have friends who turn it into biodiesel so I have a way to use it up.

Greg, do you filter the oil? Do you only use it once, or do you store it between uses? If you store it, do you just funnel it back into the original container?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm thinking about installing a small commercial fryer on my patio, but it has an open kettle, and I really don't want to leave the grease exposed to the elements between uses. So I would have to drain it each time. Kind of a PITA but we'd have the best steak fritte in the neighborhood, not to mention fried calamari.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:00 am

John Tomasso wrote:
Greg Hollis wrote:I don't pass on deep frying. I made french fries last night using the two different fry temperatures method and they were quite good. I realize that I can get fries most anywhere, but not this nice.

Greg, do you filter the oil? Do you only use it once, or do you store it between uses? If you store it, do you just funnel it back into the original container?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm thinking about installing a small commercial fryer on my patio, but it has an open kettle, and I really don't want to leave the grease exposed to the elements between uses. So I would have to drain it each time. Kind of a PITA but we'd have the best steak fritte in the neighborhood, not to mention fried calamari.

I used to use a very small fry daddy in which case the amount of oil I used was so small I could just repackage it after a use or two and recycle it.

I just purchased a little bigger fryer that gives me more flexibility and holds about 2L of oil. I went this route because it holds temp better and produces a much better fry than the fry daddy in my hands. I haven't decided how I am going to handle it, but I will probably filter it and store it for a short time, but date it so that if I don't use it quickly, I will recycle it. I have started buying the oil in larger quantities, so expense isn't that high and I just view it as one of the ingredients.
Previous