Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The proper texture of BBQ style smoked beef brisket?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: The proper texture of BBQ style smoked beef brisket?

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:58 pm

Thanks for the input Chef. That part about rolling, I tried that just as an experiment to see if I could get more slabs on my 22.5 inch (lower) cooking grid, and it worked wonderfully. You say you prefer the horizontal cooker and that is fine, but I would like to know if you have ever done BBQ on a ceramic such as my Kamado, or a BGE? IMO (and I am not trying to dispute you) the ceramic offers some things that a metal horizontal can not even begin to match, such as not having to watch or chase the heat. About cooking temperature, I can easily live with 250 for ribs, but, when it comes to a boston butt, I think that 200-220 is better and for a long time, I generally figure 20 hours. HEY! why am I doing telling you, the master of fire about heat? :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:24 pm

No arguments from me about the convenience of a ceramic cooker and the fact that with proper use a superior product may be obtained.

I'm trying to get more folks interested doing this kind of thing. I think more folks have 150 bucks than the $700.00 plus or so for a comparably sized (or more likely, smaller) ceramic cooker.

For the $150.00 or so you can get several different brands of horizontal smoker/grill at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Myself? I kinda like chasing the temperature and tending and feeding the infernal gadget.

But, I live in left field.

Now, I have to run down Fatso - he's hiding from me - and dose him with one of his three eyedrops I administer two times daily.

He was diagnosed with glaucoma on Thursday.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:07 pm

How old is Fatso Chef? |I am almost 70 and I don't have glaucoma yet. Seriously, I understand about the $150 vs the much more for the ceramic cooker. But, for those with the cash laying around, the ceramic, even the BGE is the better way to go. I applaud you for doing your part to get people to cooking over charcoal and wood. I am going to bbq this week, just am not sure what. Right now, I know I have a bone on pork loin, and am thinking that some EVOO, some southwest style rub, some salt and pepper and let her go at 350 until done. Sounds good to me, and the rib bones attached are just "cooks share".
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:48 pm

Fatso's only 12, Bob.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:28 am

FWIW, Steven Raichlen says: Indirect heat, fat side up in a pan, baste occasionally with fat and juices, cook 5-8 hrs.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:43 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:FWIW, Steven Raichlen says: Indirect heat, fat side up in a pan, baste occasionally with fat and juices, cook 5-8 hrs.

Larry, all I can say is different strokes for different folks. Personally I put Raichlen in about the same category as Rachel Ray.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:24 am

Whatever works has long been a motto of mine. I have to admit, however, I'd never turn down an invite to a Raichlen BBQ.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:12 pm

I have an update on what my friend did, because I found out that Bob chatted with Jeff about his method at the party. And here's what throws all our attempts at trying to understand what didn't work under the bus: having calculated that he needed 22 hours to smoke his briskets, and not wanting to be up all night the night before, he smoked the meat a third to half the way on Saturday, refrigerated them overnight, and then finished them on Sunday. Arggggggggh.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous