Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

mahi mahi

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim Smith

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:02 pm

mahi mahi

by Tim Smith » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:56 am

I am hunting for some simple recipes for this fish. I now just sear it with a little cajun seasonings,lemon, and butter. I need quick recipes because of work schedule.
Thanks, Tim
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: mahi mahi

by Carrie L. » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:06 am

Tim, do you have access to a gas grill? Mahi-mahi is a firm-textured fish, so it grills up very nicely. I just rub oil on it, salt and pepper and then when it is a little charred and almost done, I brush on some butter that I have melted along with with sliced green onions and fresh parsley. Simple and really good.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:14 am

I have made grilled Mahi Mahi kebobs that have somewhat of a Greek twist to them. I take cubes of Mahi Mahi and marinate them in a combination of extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, oregano, garlic and S&P. Then I thread them on skewers with red onion, yellow peppers, small par-cooked potatoes and red peppers. Then toss them on the grill.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:48 am

Tim, I usually broil mahi mahi prepped like Carrie describes, then top it with green onions, parsley and a liberal amount of sliced almonds pan toasted in butter while the fish broils, with just a spritz of lemon added at the end of cooking.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:53 am

Tim, this is a very bare-bones recipe for Veracruz. You can use this as a starting point to dress it up any way you want but it works fine the way it is. I love it with Mahi-Mahi.

Pescado Veracruzano

2 Tbsp. EVOO
1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
1 medium Onion, diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. Capers
½ -1 cup Pickled Jalapeno slices
½ cup Pitted Green Olives, chopped rough
1 28 oz. can Crushed Tomatoes (or diced tomatoes)
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 # Mahi Mahi or other white fish, cut into 8 pieces

Heat a sauté pan over high heat. When the pan is hot add the oil and let it get hot, just to the smoking point. Add the bell pepper and onion and sauté until soft. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the rest of the ingredients through the tomatoes. Allow to simmer and thicken slightly, about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.

Add the fish fillets, nestling them into the sauce, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the fish is cooked through (for smaller fillets such as tilapia you will need less time). Serve hot with rice and garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley and a lime wedge.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:46 pm

Cut zucchini and red pepper into bite-size chunks (not too small). Add a handful of pitted black olives. Saute in oil, adding salt and thyme. Spill over your roasted mahi-mahi.

I also second what Carrie said: any recipe for swordfish, halibut, tuna, or salmon should adapt well.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Ooh, Tim, I just remembered a really quick and good recipe I found on Epicurious a couple years ago. It calls for halibut, but you could definitely substitute mahi-mahi. You could also broil or saute the fish instead of grilling.

Here's the recipe:

grilled halibut with warm tomato compote
Bon Appétit | July 1997

Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

Makes 2 Servings.

1 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 6- to 7-ounce halibut fillets (each about 1 inch thick)
2 tablespoons chopped shallots
1 cup chopped plum tomatoes (about 5 ounces)
3 tablespoons dry white wine
1 tablespoon (packed) chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Melt butter in heavy medium skillet. Brush fish on both sides with half of butter. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Add shallots to butter remaining in skillet. Cook over high heat 1 minute. Add tomatoes to skillet and cook until juices evaporate, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Add wine and tarragon and boil until compote is thick, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and keep warm.
Grill fish until just opaque in center, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to plates. Spoon compote alongside fish.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:22 am

It also takes well to a fruit salsa, especially when grilled.
I make one with fresh pineapple, red onion, serrano chile, cilantro and lime juice - adjust quantities to taste.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"