Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Outstanding in the Field

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Outstanding in the Field

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:40 pm

Many years ago, I ran across an amazing artist who does fantastic land pieces. I loved everything about his work... the scope, the method, the impermanence. His name is Jim Denevan. He's based in Santa Cruz, California.

What I didn't know at the time, but have since learned, is that Jim is also a chef. He was the chef at Gabriella Café (Santa Cruz) who instituted Farmer Dinners there. He would invite local farmers, foragers, and artisanal producers in and create special dinners from their products. The producers would dine along with the paying guests, thus allowing each end of the chain - the farm and the table - to interact with the other, the net result being that the diners gained a greater appreciation of where food comes from, and the producers had a new understanding and involvement with how their food is used creatively to nourish and nurture the final consumer.

What a great concept!

But, as Jim says, "It dawned on me that while Farmer Dinners were good, Farm Dinners would be better." And so began, in 1999, what has turned into a passionate undertaking: the roving Farm Dinners put on by Jim's organization, "Outstanding in the Field."

Jim and a couple associates travel the United States from June to about October, timing it so that they have a perpetual harvest season. They start in California, move up and across Canada and the Midwest, go through the Northeast, and finally across the South before making their way home to Santa Cruz.

At each stop they work with a local farm, vineyard, or artisanal producer to create perfectly local and seasonal dinners. For 80.

The producer takes the participating diners on a tour of the operation, explaining things, answering questions. They are then shown to an 80 foot long white-linen-covered table set up right in the fields or vineyards. (Photos on his website, above.) The diners bring their own plate. Jim comments that the variety of dinnerware is something that really brings home to everyone the diversity of the community and how the parts all need to be there for it to work.

Jim has just published a book entitiled Outstanding in the Field: a farm to table cookbook. The copy I pre-ordered in January arrived yesterday.

It is a beautifully produced book. Hardcover, gorgeous photos - of both the food and the locations of the dinners, with a nice mix of story and recipes. Each recipe includes a small prefacing note, sometimes about a particular dinner where it was made, and sometimes just about the recipe itself. Just glancing through it last night, I have already found several things I can't wait to try.

A true celebration of the idea of local and seasonal, the mostly-simple recipes range from Wilted Dandelion Salad with Pancetta and Poached Egg to Smoky Sturgeon and Potato Ravioli, from Blueberry Granita to Pickled Wild Mushrooms, from Caramelized Carrot Salad to Upside Down Fresh Fig Cake.

Jim gives substitutions when it won't change the spirit of the dish, because not everything is available everywhere. However, sometimes he doesn't, because as he states, "The salad of Santa Rosa Plums, Red Cabbage, Purslane, and Sunflower Petals, for example, really cannot be made with anything besides purslane and sunflower petals, so it is definitely a height-of-summer dish."

Sprinkled throughout the book are several one and two page spreads about a particular producer, or dinner, or larger topic such as "CSAs" or "Wineries Across America." Jim manages to be both interesting and informative without much preachiness creeping in. And that is indeed rare among those dedicated to the local food movement.

Note: ordering from the title link above will result in a minuscule donation to Wine Lovers Page.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: Outstanding in the Field

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:16 pm

This is fabulous, Cynthia -- but, DARN I wish you had posted this before all the slots in Seattle had sold out. I love events such as these. Hope I can get in next year! Thanks for sharing.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Outstanding in the Field

by Jenise » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:53 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:This is fabulous, Cynthia -- but, DARN I wish you had posted this before all the slots in Seattle had sold out. I love events such as these. Hope I can get in next year! Thanks for sharing.

Girlfriend, you see tickets on sale for this--buy four. We'll go together.

And I too love events like this. Jim's a genius. Last time I looked at his website there weren't any events up here planned. That was probably about six months ago, I should have kept after it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov