Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A new sweet red pepper -- "Ancient Sweets".

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

A new sweet red pepper -- "Ancient Sweets".

by Bob Ross » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:01 pm

These hit the Market Basket last week and a great bargain at $3.99 for two pounds, five peppers about ten inches long. Little waste, sweet taste with a bit of black pepper. Regular red peppers have been $4.99 a pound and organic $5.99.

Press release on the "Ancient Sweets":

Peppers

Ancient Sweets is a greenhouse line of sweet long peppers from Mastronardi Produce Ltd., Kingsville, Ontario. The peppers have a brix level about 1.5 points above that of a regular sweet red pepper.

"It’s the Campari of the pepper category," says vice president Paul Mastronardi. The company tested the product last year, and full commercial production will begin the last week of April. Mastronardi would not disclose the crop’s acreage except to say it is 20 times greater than the test crop.

The suggested retail price on the 8-ounce package is $2.99, and the 1.5-pound package is $5.99.

The 6- to 8-inch long Ancient Sweets are a reflection of the company’s mission to always look for the next big product, Mastronardi says, and this fits with the company’s two-step marketing philosophy. One, you must be able to lead the customer to the product. Two, the product’s flavor will keep them coming back for more, he says.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: A new sweet red pepper -- "Ancient Sweets".

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:22 pm

Interesting. I haven't seen these, but I guess since they are from an Ontario company it might be a while.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:09 am

"It’s the Campari of the pepper category,"

What's that mean? For some reason I thought Campari was bitter, not sweet.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:41 am

Probably that it's tres chic.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:46 pm

Bob Ross wrote:These hit the Market Basket last week and a great bargain at $3.99 for two pounds, five peppers about ten inches long. Little waste, sweet taste with a bit of black pepper. Regular red peppers have been $4.99 a pound and organic $5.99.

They sound delicious. When I was in Holland years ago I could buy peppers that fit this description. Not hot, but sweeter and definitely more peppery. Fantastic eating peppers, and beautiful for stuffing. I'll be happy to see them in our markets.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Leslie D.

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:40 pm

by Leslie D. » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:55 pm

Campari is a brand/type of tomato from the same company in Kingsville. They market a variety of excellent products, I particularily like their mixed clamshell pack of green, yellow, red small tomatoes. The Ancient Sweet peppers have been available here for awhile. They're very good. I think their Sunset tomatoes are sold through Costco in the States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campari_tomato