Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP / IOTM: Blueberry Cornbread

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

RCP / IOTM: Blueberry Cornbread

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:33 am

This isn't too far beyond the muffin but is a long time family favorite. The kids and I put this together many decades ago to show Mom/Dear wife that there was cornbread in the world besides the dinner fare she was used to growing up in the South. Now they make it for our grandkids.

BLUEBERRY CORNBREAD:

12 T (1 ½ sticks) Butter
1 C Turbinado sugar
3 Extra large eggs
1 ½ C Stone ground yellow cornmeal
2 C Unbleached white flour
1 T Baking powder
½ tsp Salt
2 C Whole milk
1 ½ C Wild Maine blueberries (or whatever)

Cream butter and sugar together in mixer. Add eggs until well blended. Add cornmeal. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together, and add to mixer alternately with milk. Fold in blueberries by hand. Bake in large (10 inch), buttered, cast iron skillet at 375 degrees (F) for 45 minutes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP / IOTM: Blueberry Cornbread

by Jenise » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:13 pm

Carl, my husband would KISS you for this. He adores blueberry, and he is a sucker for great cornbread. I was trying to satisfy both with my little johnnycakes the other night, but this is what he'd rather have had.

(Hope you don't mind, I split this out as a post of its own. Want the recipe to get seen and be searchable.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: RCP / IOTM: Blueberry Cornbread

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:49 pm

No problem. Do you have Maine Wild Blueberries there? Tell your husband to kiss you!