Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wine with Teriyaki

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

Wine with Teriyaki

by Doug Surplus » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:49 am

My daughter asked me tonight what wine would go with teryaki chicken (she's planning a dinner for a new boy toy, um friend). My first thought was something white, crisp and acidic - possibly a New Zealand or Oz (Nepenthe) Sauvignon Blanc, or a similar styled Chenin. But then I started thinking maybe a bone dry Riesling. Any other ideas?

This is kind of neat - my daughter has always referrred to wine as 'rotten grape juice' but she has started tasting some of them and likes some of the whites she's sampled. And then, recently, for my birthday she surprised me with a bottle of Chimney Rock Cabernet Sauvignon (one I had professed liking, so she did have a clue to work with).
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

Re: Wine with Teryaki

by Eric Ifune » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:01 am

Champagne or any other good sparkling wine.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:24 am

Gruner, Gewerztraminer, Riesling, a dry rose, do I need to continue?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:29 am

Hi Doug - I apologize if this post is not too helpful, as I'm not a fan of Teryali. Recently I was at the home of my future daughter-in-law's family for dinner (they like their wine) and they served beautiful rib-eye steaks, marinated in Teryali. I thought it was a horrible to do that to such nice meat. But, I digress. I use a locally made marinade for chicken and find your choices of dry Riesling or Chenin (Vouvray) to be the best matches for such dishes. Either of these wines could easily be appreciated by a newbie. Let us know how you make out.
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:28 pm

Teriyaki Ribeye is a waste. It's a marinade so it's best for a cut which needs some help. My family uses flank steak, marinated overnight then sliced thin on the bias and grilled.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:55 pm

I don't like Teriyaki much at all, let alone on a nice cut of beef. Fortunately my daughter will be cooking this while I'm away. Unfortunately, she may be raiding my wine cellar.

Thanks for the replies - I have something from every listed variety except for GV and Gewurz (and if I had some GV, I'd keep it for myself) so she'll have enough choices.
Doug

no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:19 am

Eric Ifune wrote:Teriyaki Ribeye is a waste. It's a marinade so it's best for a cut which needs some help. My family uses flank steak, marinated overnight then sliced thin on the bias and grilled.

Exactly - YUM!
no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: Wine with Teriyaki

by TimMc » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:24 pm

I would go with an off-sweet Riesling or a Gewurztraminer.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:39 pm

Dear Tim,
I absolutely agree with you. There is no satisfactory way, in my mind, to match anything with a sweet sauce, like teriyaki, without a sweet wine. A non-dry spaetlese riesling or gewurz is ideal, as you said. Another of my favorites is Ironstone's Obsession, which is pretty widely available and cheap. And I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss white zinfandel, it does pretty well with sweetly sauced Asian food.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:30 pm

I set out an off-dry Riesling for her, a George Bruer Charm which she liked well enough to drink the whole bottle over a 6 hour period. Then yesterday I opened a 2001 Erben von Beulwitz Kaseler Nies'chen Riesling Spätlese to go with some spicy food and then I treated her and my guest to some 03 Markus Molitor Wehlener Klosterberg Auslese, both of which were well received. Tasting notes to follow soon.
Doug

no avatar
User

Carlo

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:22 pm

wine country,sonoma county CA

by Carlo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:41 pm

I like the dry reisling but I love all the other ideas and will give
them a try.